Kopites

Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Its about time China take action to end it. Blood will be shed.
↡ Advertisement

Whatever is the end game, the damage is being done and getting worse with each passing day.

There will be winners in this event just that it will not be HK, which is really a pity.

We will be the winners?

:D

Yeah

Posted (edited)

So should Shanmugam have just kept his mouth shut?

Difficult la.. Imagine he kept having repeated request for interview. Rejected once, rejected twice and etc. Sooner or later will still need to say okay for this one time right?

Its about time China take action to end it. Blood will be shed.

This is the worst case scenario. When it happened, see whether USA will suddenly come and make noise or not? High chance they will and then take this chance to impost more stanchion on China. Edited by Yewheng

I think as an outsider I also feel the same way as shanmugam.. But as an insider on hk side. Especially those who Protest may not think the same way. So it is very difficult for us to judge as we just do not know how exactly those living in Hong Kong felt as compared to us who does not live there.

Some people see from third party point of view.

Some see from HK people point of view.

I can only Xi things from China's point of view.

I maybe a bit bias.

• Praise 2

↡ Advertisement

So should Shanmugam have just kept his mouth shut?

Should note that

His message was also meant for singaporeans.

He is supporting China's position.

Plus hk is not a sovereign nation that can hurt Singapore.

So in short.. he picked his battle carefully.

Which is more that can be said for other cases.

Lawyer being very careful.

• Praise 1

Difficult la.. Imagine he kept having repeated request for interview. Rejected once, rejected twice and etc. Sooner or later will still need to say okay for this one time right?

Really? You think Shanmugam is not capable of just stonewalling any question that he doesn't wish to answer, however many number of times he is asked? It doesn't mean he refuse to give a response, his response could just be "no comment".

So for discussion purposes, say he really found it impossible to not give a substantive reply and he ends up saying something that displeases China. Would it have been a case of him shooting his mouth off unnecessarily when he could have said "no comment" or the like, or is he excused because his comment was in response to incessant questioning?

A conversation between a barber and a young “democratic” Protestor that took place in a barber shop overheard by the writer of the article below:

Are Hong Kong protestors digging their own grave? 

They are, in a sense, walking towards a life of poverty. Maybe not the grave, but near enough.

Those rioters actually do it for fun. I found it astonishing when a couple of days ago I visited the local barber and while waiting I overheard a conversation between a youngster and the barber. The youngster is a regular of the barber shop.

B: I nearly couldn’t come to work on Monday. There were disturbances everywhere.

Y: Well, that's what you get when you have an oppressive government.

B: So you're a “Yellow Ribbon (a so called “democratic” protestor)”?

Y: Yeah. I was in a lot of the protests fighting the “Black Police (Triad-like Police)”. It was fun.

B: Fun? How could that be?

Y: It's not everyday you get to beat up the Black Police. Ha ha.

B: So what is the ultimate goal of all your actions?

Y: None. I don't want to be a politician. Just want to have some fun and go back to uni afterwards. It's just a real life Zombie Apocalyse, really. We do a lot of planning, coordinating, and execution.  Then we get to go home. The police always let us walk.

B: You're not worried you'll get caught?

Y: Nah, There're too many of us. Besides, that's why we have the masks, hard hats and goggles. We all look the same - no distinguishing marks. And our uni will pay for legal assistance if we're caught. We'll get fined if convicted. No big deal. Besides, you get a lot of street cred if you tell the chicks you're a martyr*. The chicks love it.

*well I'm using the word “martyr” as a translation for “義士” in Chinese, but really it could not exactly be translated as “martyr” because martyrs are usually dead. But I'm lost for a better translation that fits.

The conversation went on.

The goals of the original protests have veered off course severely and the rioters nowadays are actually treating these riots as something akin to an online game! They are careful in trying not to be caught because they're not ready to sacrifice themselves for whatever cause. They're just ready to sacrifice other people's future, and the future of HK, so that they can have fun, and pull some “chicks”. That's both incredible and terrifying.

Their sponsors have told them they would be accused of misdemeanors which means a fine or social service as punishment. What their sponsors didn't tell them is they would get a criminal record, which is for life, and would not be able to join any profession or career that requires a licence or vetting such as a government employee, doctor, lawyer, accountant, estate agent, social worker, security personnel, bank staff or even a hotel manual worker. And they would be charged with rioting, not public misdemeanor, which means years in jail, not just a slap on the wrist.

So, they're not digging their own graves figuratively, because the HK government, the police, or even the Chinese government would not dare to use real force against them. But they're certainly making a good effort to make way for themselves a life of nothing, or even poverty.

Really? You think Shanmugam is not capable of just stonewalling any question that he doesn't wish to answer, however many number of times he is asked? It doesn't mean he refuse to give a response, his response could just be "no comment".

So for discussion purposes, say he really found it impossible to not give a substantive reply and he ends up saying something that displeases China. Would it have been a case of him shooting his mouth off unnecessarily when he could have said "no comment" or the like, or is he excused because his comment was in response to incessant questioning?

Ya lor.. Haha

I believe the Chinese govt has been tolerating the protests. But there is always a limit to a govt's patience. So they will step in, more people will die, blood will fill the streets, then these people will wake up.

HK then can be normal again.

This is the worst case scenario. When it happened, see whether USA will suddenly come and make noise or not? High chance they will and then take this chance to impost more stanchion on China.

Should note that

His message was also meant for singaporeans.

He is supporting China's position.

Plus hk is not a sovereign nation that can hurt Singapore.

So in short.. he picked his battle carefully.

Which is more that can be said for other cases.

Lawyer being very careful.

Sounds to me like it is not difficult at all to be "very careful". It just basically means supporting China's position.

Posted (edited)

If you look at it I think my good fren Xi is a trouble maker.

He is fighting a trade war with the US. US is China's biggest customer and my opinion is US should be the last country China should be fighting a trade war with.

Then he wants to fight with the people of HK. He thinks he has the upper hand because he controls Carry Lam and the police so it's an easy win.

But when the protesters close the airport who is winning? Better not to poke the hornets nest in the first place.

Then he wants to disturb Vietnam and Philippines with military bases in the South China sea.

And then he wants to disturb Taiwan an old favourite to disturb.

I remember not so long ago he was disturbing South Korea and getting people to boycott the Lotte stores in China.

Not too long before that he was was picking a fight with Japan.

But best of all he wants to pick a fight with my old enemy Dr M.

That was when China boycott durians from Malaysia.

I hope they do it again cos so much cheap durians came here and I love cheap durians.

So you see trouble maker or not?

Edited by Jamesc

Its like going to war and expect not be kill but can only kill people.... diu... they watch too much Hollywood drama.... when the marines kill the enemy by the dozens they are farking heroes..... but 1 farker kena shot cry father cry mother want to nuke the farking place to take revenge.... 

There is "evidence" coming out about the girl/woman that lost her eye and that she wasn't hit by police but by a protester.

Police say that accoding to time stamps on live TV, they weren't firing anything and that, in any case, she was standing the wrong side of a bus stop to be able to be hit. Supposedly, she didn't make a police report but that could also be for another obvious opposite reason.

Anyway, who knows what? The police undercover guys are now also the ones being agressive against police so all the bad stuff is done by bad polis to make protester look bad. Since the police started doing daily press conference (to a press that is one sided and asking only from protester point of view) I think they have slowly managed to get a grip on information flow that was missing before, and still missing from government.

You are right too, though, only an idiot would join a riot and complain about getting injured.

• Praise 2

[bigcry] the realities of being a small nation.

first do singapore no harm... we dont pay them sky high salaries to make pork soup jokes and middle kingdom speeches unnecessarily. whatever their real tots (or self importance) may be, sometimes no need to shout.

did you notice kishore said much less.. only basically that we should be more measured in what we said wrt larger nations. and he really kenna for it.. all come out shoot him though he is one of the few seen as a "thinker" outside of singapore establishment., not ownself praise ownself type.

has sg position changed ... or just some people can say ... some people cannot say. [lipsrsealed]

Sounds to me like it is not difficult at all to be "very careful". It just basically means supporting China's position.

I have a joke.

I heard before the US president ever told Mao zedong that the one child policy was cruel. Mao zedong agreed and told the US president that he is glad they both agree on the same thing so please sign this agreement and china will send 10 million immigrants to usa every single year to cope with their population crisis. The US president then shut up.

Now for this Hong Kong protest. Everyone in the western media is saying no violent crackdown and such.

I wonder if china students in the USA were to then organise a sit in at New York grand central terminal or at the airport and disrupt flights and trains for days, all wearing masks like the Hong Kong protesters what will usa do? Easy for the west to talk when its their rival facing the problems.

I hope the protests end soon. But it looks like it's not going away anytime soon also.

• Praise 5

There is "evidence" coming out about the girl/woman that lost her eye and that she wasn't hit by police but by a protester.

Police say that accoding to time stamps on live TV, they weren't firing anything and that, in any case, she was standing the wrong side of a bus stop to be able to be hit. Supposedly, she didn't make a police report but that could also be for another obvious opposite reason.

Anyway, who knows what? The police undercover guys are now also the ones being agressive against police so all the bad stuff is done by bad polis to make protester look bad. Since the police started doing daily press conference (to a press that is one sided and asking only from protester point of view) I think they have slowly managed to get a grip on information flow that was missing before, and still missing from government.

You are right too, though, only an idiot would join a riot and complain about getting injured.

Street fights are always dangerous because you don't prepare to be attacked, weapons are a part of it, you don't know if the attacker is armed, also "Bullets don't have eyes"... Stay away from those trouble areas as much possible 

Posted (edited)

I have a joke.

I heard before the US president ever told Mao zedong that the one child policy was cruel. Mao zedong agreed and told the US president that he is glad they both agree on the same thing so please sign this agreement and china will send 10 million immigrants to usa every single year to cope with their population crisis. The US president then shut up.

Now for this Hong Kong protest. Everyone in the western media is saying no violent crackdown and such.

I wonder if china students in the USA were to then organise a sit in at New York grand central terminal or at the airport and disrupt flights and trains for days, all wearing masks like the Hong Kong protesters what will usa do? Easy for the west to talk when its their rival facing the problems.

I hope the protests end soon. But it looks like it's not going away anytime soon also.

Your analogy is off. It should be USA students sit in New York airport what USA will do?

it is not USA students protesting in hongkong....

Edited by Wind30

I have a joke.

china students?

then trump would label it an invasion.. 

if they do it in singapore.. best deport.

ethnic chinese american students.. thats a different story. 

Your analogy is off. It should be USA students sit in New York airport what USA will do?

but, prc students in foreign unis have been in the news ... (WITH support of PRC officials)..  harassing people who do not support CCP positions.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1