Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

1 hour ago, Wishcumsback said:

With the majority win for the anti-establishment parties in Sunday District council election, there should be at least more than half a dozen be allocated seat in the Legislative Council. This had been the case over the years when chaos consumed the HK parliament without much of the policies passed from education to land reform.

Democracy with Hong Kong-characteristic. (sounds familiar not unlike what we often seen in S Korea, Japan or Taiwan) [:p]

They are getting all the seats in Election Committtee for Chief Executive

↡ Advertisement

https://www.hk01.com/政情/402127/區議會選舉2019-消息-北京對戰果吃驚-林鄭命運或現變數

消息:北京對戰果吃驚 林鄭命運或現變數

消息人士指,北京對昨日的戰果大感吃驚,「投票前兩星期,爆出中大、理大的混亂,吐露港、紅隧被堵,又有(食環署外判清潔工)羅伯被掟磚擊斃,北京評估反暴力的民情足以抵銷修例風波的部分衝擊力,怎知這場海嘯的威力會這麼大!」

消息人士:北京必會重新評估香港局勢

該名消息人士又指,區選戰果如此震撼,北京必會重新評估香港局勢,最後或會調整策略,不能只圍着「止暴制亂」的軸子來轉。

https://www.hk01.com/政情/402200/區議會選舉-林鄭感謝踴躍投票-政府一定會虛心聆聽市民意見

林鄭感謝踴躍投票:政府一定會虛心聆聽市民意見

新聞稿表示,特區政府尊重這次選舉結果。林鄭指出自己留意到坊間對結果有很多分析和解讀,不少指出結果反映市民對社會現狀及深層次問題的不滿。她表示特區政府一定會虛心聆聽市民的意見,並認真反思。

Edited by Davidtch
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, Davidtch said:

They are getting all the seats in Election Committtee for Chief Executive

Not confirmed as the process isn't simply dependent on the SAR's  EC decision. This is repeated and clearly spell out within the Basic Law based on the 2014 Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress meet.

Basic Law Instrument 33 (Page 133)

....Starting from 2017, the selection of the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region may be implemented by the method of universal suffrage.

(4) The Chief Executive-elect, after being selected through universal suffrage, will have to be appointed by the Central People’s Government

Source: https://www.basiclaw.gov.hk/en/basiclawtext/images/basiclaw_full_text_en.pdf

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

So what  after election , all is good already no more protests?

ok thats easy.  Should hv held the elections 5 mths earlier

Nothing is perfect - Especially in a  "democratic" system where the only certainty is uncertainty.

Question remains is will this land-slide result bring peace and stability to HK in the coming months..

No one can guarantee that...not even the HKies themselves. [:p]

Edited by Wishcumsback
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Davidtch said:

What craps are they filled with?

We should respect the votes but will China? 

I believe so, in some ways. Can't exactly ignore 3-4 millions people and continue to govern like nothing happened. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

So what

after election , all is good already

no more protests?

ok thats easy.  Should hv held the elections 5 mths earlier

elections can be a very good pressure release valve. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Carrie Lam said the protesters are a few misguided youths, the minority, just a fringe movement.

She said the silent majority are against the protests they want stability and prosperity.

I was so stupid and I believed her. I even threw my full support to her.

Now I see the protesters wiped the floor with her side in the election I know she was just bull sheeting us.

It was all a pack of lies. Simi silent majority support her?

Why now pretend to want to humbly listen after 6 months of brutally trying to silence the people?

I was so stupid to trust her I feel so dumb just like my MIL.

:grin:

• Haha! 2

I am so sorry I argued with all the people here.

I was blindly supporting Carrie Lam and now I know I was wrong.

I was totally wrong she was just talking nonsense all along.

I haven't been to Hong Kong since 2014 and I just watch the news on tv and

I thought I know better than the people in HK. The people right in the middle of all this.

How can I possible know how they were feeling and the situation they have been going thru?

I just read newspaper and I think I know everything. I watch the news and I think I know better then the HK people.

I even came here and said they should do this and they shouldn't do that as if I knew what is best for them.

I really thought I knew better then the Hong Kong people.

Now I know its not the kids that is misguided, its actually me.

I am a silly idiot. I don't trust Carrie Lam anymore. NO MORE.

:grin:

• Haha! 1

29 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

We should respect the votes but will China? 

I believe so, in some ways. Can't exactly ignore 3-4 millions people and continue to govern like nothing happened. 

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1171062.shtml

Hong Kong district council elections were held in a largely safe and orderly environment on Sunday. A few radical opposition figures attempted to disrupt the proceedings to make it difficult for pro-establishment candidates and their supporters, but it did not have much impact. People had worried that unrest sparked by the now-withdrawn extradition bill could force the cancellation of elections, but that didn't happen.

Voting results show that pro-democrats have scored a landslide victory, winning a majority of the 452 seats open to elections, though the difference in actual votes received by the two camps was much smaller.

Hong Kong district council is different from the legislative council. As a publicly elected institution of 18 districts of Hong Kong, the district council's function is to serve the community, express public's appeal regarding livelihood, such as transportation, environment, and living conditions. This year's district council elections were full of political slogans because of the extradition bill controversy. But regardless, neither side has much room to politicize the district council elections.

The unrest sparked by anti-extradition bill is still ongoing, which is conducive for pro-democracy camps to mobilize support in a short span of time. Hong Kong has been engulfed by riots in recent months, during which the irrational political energy has had its impact on elections, particularly exerting pressure on pro-establishment candidates and their supporters.

It must be pointed out that the West has been helping HK opposition in district council elections in the past week. Australian media suddenly broke a story of a Chinese spy infiltrating HK defecting to Australia (The man is a convicted fraudster). A former employee at British Consulate General in HK detained 3 months ago on the mainland for soliciting prostitutes told BBC last week he was tortured during detention. They are intended to influence public opinion on Hong Kong. US lawmakers hastily passed Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act, also targeting district council elections.

Hong Kong radical forces and Western supporters behind them wanted to stage a political demonstration during the voting. They tried to deny the urgency of ending chaos in Hong Kong. But we want to say that the pro-democracy camp winning more seats doesn't mean Hong Kong voters support violent demonstrations. Majority of Hongkongers are tired of violence and are yearning for order to be restored.

Election result showed that there is still emotion within Hong Kong society, affecting rational thinking over the key issue of how the city should walk out of its current predicament. 

It is conceivable and impossible that majority of Hongkongers would encourage violence, support political confrontation against the mainland, and back the city to become a bridgehead for US political forces to pressure China. This is because it will severely undermine the interests of Hongkongers and push the city into an environment of uncertainties. It is crucial to rationally interpret the result of Hong Kong's district council elections, lest mobs should be emboldened by misreading them.

Hong Kong and the Chinese mainland follow different political systems. Expressing views by constitutional provisions such as votes should be encouraged in Hong Kong. The district council elections have had their impact but such influence has its limits. Both sides should be respected by all. All forces in Hong Kong, including the opposition, must compete for influence in the establishment. No one should follow the devious path of street politics.

It is believed that whatever the ups and downs in Hong Kong polls, all elections in the city are held within the aegis of the special administrative region of the People's Republic of China, and they can't impact the basic framework of "one country, two systems." 

It is hoped that the pro-establishment groups in Hong Kong will not be discouraged, and Hongkongers who love the country and the city will not be disheartened after the district council elections. As long as elections are held, there will be swings. What's more, in such an unfavorable situation, the pro-establishment camp still received about 40 percent of the votes.

China's development and progress are unstoppable. Hong Kong's politics will certainly be increasingly linked to China's development and progress. This is the major historical trend. The country will never abandon Hong Kong, and will never ignore the people and forces who love the motherland and the city. Hong Kong's problems need objective analysis and practical solutions. The country will always provide guarantees for Hong Kong.

• Praise 1

18 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

Not surprising.  China don't even respect Basic Law 

err...which part of the Basic Law has China failed to respect ?

Edited by Wishcumsback
  • Haha! 3

8 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

That's why I said I wanted to see how they can survive on their own.

So what if they score some elections... Their minds are filled with crap that I would not even bet a peanut on.

Can't wait till they day they eat their own words.

Maybe hope hk can be just like singapore.. Like how we separate from Malaysia 1965 and within 20 to 30 years.. We make it.. So if hk would to really separate and become an independent country.. It really depends on who is the leader by then.. Will the leader be as foresight as lky. That will be the key.. 

• Praise 2

52 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

elections can be a very good pressure release valve. 

..or a lit fuse to an unintended outcome.

Just ask folks who voted for their presidents from S Korea, to America. [:p]

960x0.jpg

↡ Advertisement