Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

3 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Tong Ka Hua this morning on talkshow already said no. It won't lose international creditability. 25 years experiences Hk judges themselves can assume all those foreign judge roles. 

Hopefully.

HK always short on judges. 

With the loss of these 2 judges, not sure whether there will be further delay in court case.

↡ Advertisement

4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Hopefully.

HK always short on judges. 

With the loss of these 2 judges, not sure whether there will be further delay in court case.

Isn't so much on manpower concern. The immediate concern should be how the international community perceive hk judicialical system relative to mainland. Vital if Hk still want to maintain it status as financial hub. 

CNA is reporting this news. Eat full nothing to report?😁

• Praise 1

29 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Isn't so much on manpower concern. The immediate concern should be how the international community perceive hk judicialical system relative to mainland. Vital if Hk still want to maintain it status as financial hub. 

CNA is reporting this news. Eat full nothing to report?😁

You already said why CNA is reporting this news.

I said previously that "HK Judges has been criticised for not being loyal to the Party".

Geoffrey Ma had fought hard to preserve HK Judicial independence.

Not sure whether Andrew Cheung is doing that or not.

52 minutes ago, happy_man said:

Err...did you look at the details how that was calculated  ?

"....Overall, 22,508 HKers were granted Canadian permanent residency, work permits or study visas in 2021, up 256% from 2019...."...this means in 2019 there were a mere approx 8800 applicants...

2019 was the year of chaos and got accelerated after that - and yet this last 2 years is nothing compared with pre-1997 mass "exodus" of avg 50,000 a year... So tell me what is new in SCMP report about HKie immigration pattern ?😜

Let's face it, 1997 was a very special case. I was living there from 1994 through the handover and saw people leave, and return.

Consider this new brick in the wall of Net Outflow as a result of, firstly, the chaos (the firebombed police van was directly outside my hotel window), then implementation of security laws and now remaining locked down from COVID.

The point was the rate of change, not raw figure. Almost 100k BN(O) visas were approved in UK in 2021 as well but this had less to do with COVID. Net Outflow in 2022 is at a higher rate, so far, again and adds in COVID to the earlier outflows from noted casues.

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, happy_man said:

I am curious - Why do you consider post-2019 HK be any less "special" than 1997 ?

You had been living there since 1994 and personally knowing those who had migrated (to Canada) - What do you notice the main difference between these 2 generation of migrant in terms of attitude and values ?

I didn't say that, at all.

I said 1997 was a special case, a singular moment in time.

Many older folks in the 90s had fled to HK during the revolution and many more had Tiananmen Square fresh in their memories so now, in 1997, the UK was handing the territory back. Wow. Whilst the Basic Law had written in rules of autonomy for 50yrs, the worry before the handover was what would China do? People were righty or wrongly scared of what would happen those few months and years after the handover.

Today, the reasons are similar, but not focused around any singular event like '97.

The theory was, from both sides, the 50yrs would be required for China to adapt and get closer to HK's legal and political system but what we've seen more recently is it going the opposite direction. Those in their 40s and younger don't remember a time HK didn't have some form of democratic structure. It was only when the "sinner who would be condemned for a thousand generations (千古罪人)" took over as governor in 1992 that HK began to become "democratic" of a sort, with the Electoral Reform program of 1994.

• Haha! 1

(edited)
10 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

here we go again ...

mother sauce can trust? lol

https://mothership.sg/2022/04/chinese-professor-italian-uni-taiwan-student/

He can pack up and return to his motherland to assume his academic profession!🤣

Two house tea sessions. Make a living in Italy while hug hug his mother.

foreign inferences.  😁

Edited by Kopites
  • Haha! 2

40 minutes ago, Kopites said:

He can pack up and return to his motherland to assume his academic profession!🤣

Two house tea sessions. Make a living in Italy while hug hug his mother.

foreign inferences.  😁

He can apply for CCP membership if he is not one by now.

Probably doing it to advance his own interest since he is the one recording and distributing it online. 

Think he will be a happy man in China but not in Italy. 

• Haha! 2

Supersonic
18 minutes ago, Singa said:

part 1: 

part 2:

suspect will have part 3

I saw part 1 and the pay for teacher in hk is consider not bad le, got high S$6k plus. 

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, Singa said:

part 1: 

part 2:

suspect will have part 3

Doubt so. Part 2 descriptions no mention of part 3. 

7 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I saw part 1 and the pay for teacher in hk is consider not bad le, got high S$6k plus. 

Not high at all.

Am admin clerk average Hk 8k at least. Not apple to Apple comparison here. A huge portion of monthly salary would have gone to housing be it for rent or mortgage. 

34 minutes ago, Singa said:

part 1: 

part 2:

suspect will have part 3

Lately quite impressed with CNA production. The behind prison series and this hker series. ,👍

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Singa said:

not yet, I am just guessing part 3 is coming, as there is not yet conclusion on what happened to the family already in UK.

I doubt there will be any conclusion. Typical story of many hkers. 

(edited)
17 minutes ago, Singa said:

A very short documentary on the same topic.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

He can apply for CCP membership if he is not one by now.

Probably doing it to advance his own interest since he is the one recording and distributing it online. 

Think he will be a happy man in China but not in Italy. 

Easier to join PAP than CCP.

CCP got probation period of 1 year

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Easier to join PAP than CCP.

CCP got probation period of 1 year

That is why just wayang his patriotism.  

• Haha! 1

(edited)
11 hours ago, Singa said:

should have a happy ending. even the CNA insider prison series has a closure at the end

I was on chat group yesterday night asking about part 3 likeyou mentioned. A relation forwarded this newly uploaded tube. 😁

NHK production. Point to note the first couple migrated to Japan 7 years ago. it should be after umbrella movement then. The other 3 families are recent migrants.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

Supersonic
14 hours ago, Kopites said:

Not high at all.

Am admin clerk average Hk 8k at least. Not apple to Apple comparison here. A huge portion of monthly salary would have gone to housing be it for rent or mortgage. 

But even in sg, most people also earning around $3k to $5k per person and their salary also goes to housing mortgage.

If HK$8k, then only around S$1.3k? This is far too low for anywhere lo. Even sg also.

↡ Advertisement