Hong Kong protesters demonstrate against extradition bill

Kopites

I feel that the extradition bill is overly politicize.  If there is no such bill, I can kill someone in Macau, Taiwan or China and just go to Hongkong to hide. Its a safe haven there because the Hongkong Police cannot arrest me and I can live happily ever after there.

Large protest most of the time will end in violent one as there are always troublemaker in the protest.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Supersonic
(edited)

so no travel advisory given you will go ahead knowing the danger? 

you dont make decision for your own safety? 

If you cannot forgo that money and need to claim insurance against making a decision on your own safety, you sld not even have bought that ticket in the first place. So dont use no money as an excuse. 

Need to weigh the decision based on actual risk.

If my hotel is right smack in the middle of the protests, I will book a new one somewhere else. But if I am staying at disneyland, then the risk is still acceptable.

To me, HK trip might cost 2k for sunk costs. I might lose a day or 2's sleep over it but no big deal. But what about the fellow who saved up to bring his family on their first overseas trip? It's easy to say one should prioritize safety over money when they already have money.

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 1

(edited)

I feel that the extradition bill is overly politicize. If there is no such bill, I can kill someone in Macau, Taiwan or China and just go to Hongkong to hide. Its a safe haven there because the Hongkong Police cannot arrest me and I can live happily ever after there.

Large protest most of the time will end in violent one as there are always troublemaker in the protest.

the other side of the coin anyone critical of CCP can be extradited to China. already a book publisher was secretly arrested taken and imprisoned in China. This bill will make it even more "user friendly" for CCP to exert their authority.

HK has no such extradition arrangement for decades. why now such a rush to push it through. the Taiwan murder case? the Taiwanese already back down from asking HK extraditing that HK murderer suspect. HKer call it a firewall protecting HK against china influences. a financial hub. HK will turn into another province of China. the business coummunity and law society all against this bill.

our very own cna report. quite professional reporting imo.

Edited by Kopites

Supersonic

I feel that the extradition bill is overly politicize.  If there is no such bill, I can kill someone in Macau, Taiwan or China and just go to Hongkong to hide. Its a safe haven there because the Hongkong Police cannot arrest me and I can live happily ever after there.

But is there extradition treaty between Singapore and China?

So someone can kill in China and come Singapore to live like a king? Any diff?

Lol. U think the people care about the criminals?

How many percent of any developed city's population are actually criminals? Maybe 2-3% tops? 

Would that garner 1 million people.

Yes it's political. But politics are moving into civilian life. In china, political control and civilian life are intertwined.

It explicitly allows extraditions from Hong Kong to greater China - including the mainland, Taiwan and Macau - for the first time, closing what Hong Kong government officials have repeatedly described as a "loophole" that they claim has allowed the city to become a haven for criminals from the mainland.

Hong Kong's leader would start and finally approve an extradition following a request from a foreign jurisdiction but only after court hearings, including any possible appeals. However, the bill removes Legislative Council oversight of extradition arrangements.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/explainer-why-proposed-changes-to-hong-kong-s-extradition-law-11620610

The people are protesting specifically this part. So the PRC can haul up any HK citizen that is deemed to have committed a crime in their territory.

Imagine if your hot-headed son is one of the protestors throwing bricks. Anytime he steps into mainland china, he can be blamed for some imaginary crime and hauled back to mainland china even if he's doing his stuff in HK non-aware of what "crime" he committed.

As a parent, would you want something like this to happen?

Seriously, anyone who takes this at face value is naive. Haha I could probably sell him the air he/she breathes in.

Hongkongers are definitely not naive.

They also insist broad safeguards mean that anyone at risk of political or religious persecution or who faces torture will not be extradited. Likewise, no one who faces the death penalty will be extradited. China denies accusations of human rights abuses.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/explainer-why-proposed-changes-to-hong-kong-s-extradition-law-11620610

• Praise 1

They aren't children lah. They are university students or around that age group.

From time immemorial, these are the people most easily stoked up by protest organisers.

Seldom see uncles like us at the frontline  [laugh]

yah, i can comprehend this totally. 

I was involved in a few fights at that age, and mostly gotten out of hand because  blood boil fast, and once start boiling really tough to cool down.  The last fight was in NS, I almost killed the fellow with an ET stick had the other guys not stopped me in time, big regret of my life. 

Even now, I try not to listen to fast music when I drive, because it gets the blood flow alot faster and sometimes can get into attack mode. 

If the atmosphere is right, i think uncles also will cheong !!!  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

(edited)

Lol. U think the people care about the criminals?

How many percent of any developed city's population are actually criminals? Maybe 2-3% tops?

Would that garner 1 million people.

Yes it's political. But politics are moving into civilian life. In china, political control and civilian life are intertwined.

The people are protesting specifically this part. So the PRC can haul up any HK citizen that is deemed to have committed a crime in their territory.

Imagine if your hot-headed son is one of the protestors throwing bricks. Anytime he steps into mainland china, he can be blamed for some imaginary crime and hauled back to mainland china even if he's doing his stuff in HK non-aware of what "crime" he committed.

As a parent, would you want something like this to happen?

Seriously, anyone who takes this at face value is naive. Haha I could probably sell him the air he/she breathes in.

Hongkongers are definitely not naive.

can't praise you yet. nod Nod... Edited by Kopites

(edited)

yah, i can comprehend this totally. 

I was involved in a few fights at that age, and mostly gotten out of hand because  blood boil fast, and once start boiling really tough to cool down.  The last fight was in NS, I almost killed the fellow with an ET stick had the other guys not stopped me in time, big regret of my life. 

Even now, I try not to listen to fast music when I drive, because it gets the blood flow alot faster and sometimes can get into attack mode. 

If the atmosphere is right, i think uncles also will cheong !!!  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

The prefrontal cortex that inhibits your impulsive or more instinctive thoughts is not fully developed until mid 20s.

But of course, you can train it in your child to be stronger. 

But hot blood is hot blood 

can't praise you yet. nod Nod...

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Come out to protest doesn't mean they are violent. 

Sometimes violence can be from false flags. Who knows who planted the fellows that throw the first bricks?

Could be China, USA or even Singapore?

Did I mention they were violent? 

Did i mention they throw the bricks?

How most protests started and ended can be found freely on the internet and newspapers ( if you trust any newspaper). If you decide  to step out and protest, be prepared to face the outcome, whatever that may be, men, women, young, old equally. 

If you protest, you are a protester. 

Need to weigh the decision based on actual risk.

If my hotel is right smack in the middle of the protests, I will book a new one somewhere else. But if I am staying at disneyland, then the risk is still acceptable.

To me, HK trip might cost 2k for sunk costs. I might lose a day or 2's sleep over it but no big deal. But what about the fellow who saved up to bring his family on their first overseas trip? It's easy to say one should prioritize safety over money when they already have money.

what has this got to do with you asking me "Can cancel meh? Don't need travel advisory to be issued first?" ??? 

and whats has that fellow who saved up to bring his family on their first overseas trip got to do with you or me? 

are you saying those not so well off sld not care about their safety? 

boh liu bey sai kiasi? 

i was there on sat and my hk relatives had received a whatsapp msg that anyone who go for the protest will get HKD1800.

hk has been all along a chess to the US and not surprise to see such protest against this extradition bill. there is a large

team of US intelligent  (more than a thousand) base in hk to collect sensitive info from china. this extradition bill will not

favour US activities in hk, and where do you think the fund of these opposition parties coming from?

in general, the new law is a good move to protect human right within china, hk, macau and Taiwan which is parts of china,

as it is written in the law to state what can be done and what cannot be done.

however, the new law may not favour to some of the businessman in hk and the western intelligent agency in hk. the younger

generation of the hk'er is too childish to believe that they will be better under the former british colonial without going through

that period. the older generation are confused fearing that their advantage towards the mainland will be taken over by them.

perhaps the high cost of living, high housing cost in the hk is one of the sparking point of this protest.

I have a lot of relatives living in hk and most of them take a positive view of the new amended law, as it will close up some

of the grey area between mainland and hk, macau and Taiwan (in future). they have confident that hk will be much prosperous

with the gov stand firm to push through those right decision that they had made.

• Praise 3

(edited)

If this law really is about catching criminals running in from China, just say applicable to prc only, not hk or other nationalities. Simple.. why not? You trust the prc words??

There is also an economic dimension.

China is famous for just arresting people over commercial disputes, good luck getting any "justice"... call it bribery, local thugs, party officials grabbing money etc, they can and have done it.

People invest in hk cos they trust the British inherited judicial system there, just reported in BBC that jap companies that were planning to move from China to hk for better rule of law is now rethinking.. you bet everyone is thinking the same way now.

Edited by Playtime

(edited)

i was there on sat and my hk relatives had received a whatsapp msg that anyone who go for the protest will get HKD1800.

hk has been all along a chess to the US and not surprise to see such protest against this extradition bill. there is a large

team of US intelligent  (more than a thousand) base in hk to collect sensitive info from china. this extradition bill will not

favour US activities in hk, and where do you think the fund of these opposition parties coming from?

in general, the new law is a good move to protect human right within china, hk, macau and Taiwan which is parts of china,

as it is written in the law to state what can be done and what cannot be done.

however, the new law may not favour to some of the businessman in hk and the western intelligent agency in hk. the younger

generation of the hk'er is too childish to believe that they will be better under the former british colonial without going through

that period. the older generation are confused fearing that their advantage towards the mainland will be taken over by them.

perhaps the high cost of living, high housing cost in the hk is one of the sparking point of this protest.

I have a lot of relatives living in hk and most of them take a positive view of the new amended law, as it will close up some

of the grey area between mainland and hk, macau and Taiwan (in future). they have confident that hk will be much prosperous

with the gov stand firm to push through those right decision that they had made.

It's a very dichotomous relationship that HK has with china.

They are used to their independence, but their entire economic lifeblood is closely tied with China. 

The economic vibrance of HK is based on the fact, that there is close to western Judiciary, open financial system, yet just across the border to China.

It's quite obvious, the tension in the populous is bleeding over. 

If this was any other chinese province. There will be many dead yesterday. That's just a conservative prediction.

Heads have been broken in china for far far less.

wont be surprise.

All HK police fall in also I think out numbered by the crowd, diao shui from Guangdong province very possible.. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

I think unlikely lah. If the police someone inside bao toh, even more protests

Edited by Lala81

Supercharged

Was in HKG from Monday and came back yesterday evening . Stay at Wan Chai area , things seems normal on the streets , people minding their own business . No issues taking a cab to the airport also .

Would think that as Long as you avoid the protest area , should be fine .

But frankly , unless it’s business trip or you have urgent matters to attend , why go there now for holiday.

Yes , heard about the money reward to attend the protest from staffs and suppliers there . It’s pretty clear that there is foreign government behind these protests .

Would think that only UK should be able to comment as they have the agreement with China Lor .

The rest should just shut up , if not happy , just dun go HKG or withdraw all your investment Lor . China did not force you to invest lei ...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3