Private hire drivers restricted to 30 years old n above?

ChaosMyth

New rules set to be laid down next month stipulate that private-hire vehicle drivers must be Singapore citizens who are at least 30 years old.

This comes amidst discussions between the National Taxi Association and National Private Hire Vehicles Associations.

One of the key concerns prompting the proposed rule is the problem of youths taking to driving private-hire vehicles full-time.

As of February 2019, there are 41,000 registered PHV drivers, of which 40 percent of them are under 40 years old. Over

6500 of them are below 30 years old.

However, the data does not include non-registered PHV drivers who operate “hitch” services. Hitch drivers are allowed to only make 2 ride-sharing trips a day, however many are known to take on more rides across different ride-sharing operators.

The NTA and NPHV are also in discussion about issues such as contracts between transport operators and drivers, drivers’ insurance and the issue of whether PHV can do roadside pick-ups.

The result of these talks will be announced next month.

Article from redwiretimes. No official news. Looks dubious. But been trending around some dealer websites also. If really true how many will be affected?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I don't think there will be any official news or change in ruling soon. Few days ago, the media reported about young people in the gig economy and the amount they can earn in a month. Elections are coming soon, I'm sure the government will be taking that into account over destroying the rice bowls of young PHV drivers overnight. 

(edited)

I don't think there will be any official news or change in ruling soon. Few days ago, the media reported about young people in the gig economy and the amount they can earn in a month. Elections are coming soon, I'm sure the government will be taking that into account over destroying the rice bowls of young PHV drivers overnight.

Maybe, after. Gig...part time is ok...

Without CPF.. Could not apply HDB Flat...unless pay cash.

Singapore government is willing to take touch action, once seems something is not right.

Edited by Twich

(edited)

More reason to change the rules because Opposition will make a big issue that so many young Singaporean stuck in a low skill job of driving PHV, what they study in polytechnic or university cannot put to use. After new rules immediately the statistic change to looks better because 6,500 below the age of 30 years old not in the statistic (i.e. driving PHV) anymore.

Edited by Octopus
  • Praise 3

Why restrict these kinds of bad gig jobs only for old people?

Let the young people suffer and do these low paid hard work jobs too.

:D

Supersonic

Below 26 yrs old, insurance say they are high risks and therefore high loading.

Taxi drivers need to be at least 30 yrs old.

And suddenly PHV as young as 20 yrs old are allowed to ferry passengers around.

See the contradiction ?

• Praise 1

Should also restrict food delivery to 30 or 35 and above. And Singaporeans. Otherwise the young people will move from one low paying job to another without long term prospects.

• Praise 2

Errrrr......... 35yrs and above with 5 years driving experience lagi better  ... -_-

yes support  :a-toast:

those young drivers are mostly F1 and Fast Furious wannabes [drivingcar]

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Restrict to 40 and above with driving experience is better.

This group have more difficulties finding jobs after they lose theirs..

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Usually those in 20plus yrs old, their driving is more towards fast and furious side. As a person age, their mindset will also be more mature and then driving will be less of the fast and furious and take more caution. Of coz there will be exception.

That being said, I start to notice those in the 50s and 60s are those who drive like they own the whole road, they are not fast and furious, but more towards bo chap other drivers attitude. Like I want exit left last minute, means I want, just change lane last min, hack care.

I guess it's a cycle. Like from young drive until old and then old already thinking they are very good already, so just hack care la.

Of these 2 groups, both are equally dangerous. The fast and furious type can cause serious accidents. The bo chap type can cause others to get into serious accidents.

• Praise 1