Are LED lights subject to brightness checks?

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator
Are LED lights subject to brightness checks?

bp_led_130619_30.jpg?itok=2bm0hQQq&times

Sources: https://www.straitstimes.com/forum/letters-on-the-web/led-lights-on-cars-can-cause-momentary-blindness

Many new cars are being fitted with LED lights.

While LED lights come with benefits, such as being more energy-efficient, long-lasting and are cheaper, their main drawback is that they are too bright.

Often, they can cause momentary blindness for drivers on the road.

More often than not, many drivers on the road at night are tired after a long day at work and are eager to drive home quickly. Add to that the glare from these lights, and the driver's judgment may be impaired momentarily, leading to an accident.

Does the Land Transport Authority conduct quality checks to regulate the appropriate use of such lights?

Action ought to be taken against drivers who deliberately switch to their high beam to irritate other road users.

I think LTA is being to rigid in their testing. They should fine those who never calibrate thier headlight properly one and fine them. And not bythe bightness of the headlight.

12803-JOHN-BEAN-CAMERA.png?itok=7fA71VQ2There is this kind of headlight calibration machine in the market what.

↡ Advertisement

halogen and HID are equally bright.

importantly the angle adjustment and correct headlight design .

illegal switch of bulb to LED type are the main contribution of causing discomfort to other road user.

also use of high beam or fog light are major issue as well.

• Praise 7

(edited)

The car's headlights are adjustable. It's just that ppl are either ignorant or dont bother about it.

An example. Just by using the correct AllenKey or for some cars a hexagonal spanner to turn clockwise or CCK to adjust.

65454d1386867107-adjust-headlights-manua

I have made the adjustment on my previous cars' headlights before, whether it's xenon or led I made sure it's not pointing higher than the rear bumper of most cars. Beyond that it will surely hit the side mirrors which will blind other drivers.

A lot I believe are ignorant. sometimes the light bulb mounting like the H4 is prone to break along the welds causing it to anyhow point. Sometimes ppl dunno how to install the lightbulb properly. Ownself DIY anyhow. Dunno how to adjust.

Otherwise I really dont see how it will blind others unless it's drivers being ignorant. Some champions dont even know they are on highbeam.

Any type of light will be blinding at night as long as they are pointed to your eyes. It's just like saying the sun is blinding when you stare right at it. It's a stupid thing to say fyi.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 4

There are more and more SUV now.

A lot of modern SUV has LED DRL and headlights.

That’s it looks bright.

If my friend pigkarp with halogen line behind Picanto, Picanto still thinks that stupid pigkarp on high beam.

• Praise 1

(edited)

From own experience, VICOM typically close one eye on aftermarket HID/LED provided not super glaring (eg, in projector headlamp rather than halogen reflector). For my old car, left low beam oem 4300k HID bulb blow so changed to 8000k replacement, no issue passing inspection.

Edited by Ceecookie

Supercharged

I thought if not stock then won't pass inspection, like halogen change to LED for headlight? 

From own experience, VICOM typically close one eye on aftermarket HID/LED provided not super glaring (eg, in projector headlamp rather than halogen reflector). For my old car, left low beam oem 4300k HID bulb blow so changed to 8000k replacement, no issue passing inspection.

I thought if not stock then won't pass inspection, like halogen change to LED for headlight? 

Those outright HID/LED mod that cause glare will obviously fail inspection. For example, if u fit HID bulb into the large reflector headlight of an Attrage, u can expect the glare to be extreme.

On the other hand, there are branded LED bulbs eg Philips XtremeUltinon that are designed to minimize glare. If installed on a vehicle with halogen projector headlights (and adjustable headlight level), it can pass off as OEM fitment.

STA/VICOM inspection centres are not foolproof for the headlight test (the test machine give false positives for legit vehicles) hence is not 100% strict. Main threat is the LTA enforcement ppl who are more knowledgable in this field. 

Twincharged

properly aligned headlights will not kacheow other ppl in front.

mine are aligned so that even when i go over a hump right behind another car the highest my front lights will go will not shoot above the boot cover of the sedan in front.

• Praise 1

properly aligned headlights will not kacheow other ppl in front.

mine are aligned so that even when i go over a hump right behind another car the highest my front lights will go will not shoot above the boot cover of the sedan in front.

Wait till pickup stop behind your car.

Pickup headlight will shine into your cabin due to height difference.

Twincharged

Wait till pickup stop behind your car.

Pickup headlight will shine into your cabin due to height difference.

no need pickup ... everyday my shuttle kenah from SUV and MPVs enough already ... and buses and whatever.

but it does not mean i have to do it to others. [angel]

• Praise 1

My LED headlights are definitely too bright but they come with the car, so there is nothing much I can do.  I still have a powerful set of fog lights but I have never switched them on as they will be too glaring for other road users.

• Praise 1

On 6/16/2019 at 10:01 PM, awhtc said:

My LED headlights are definitely too bright but they come with the car, so there is nothing much I can do.  I still have a powerful set of fog lights but I have never switched them on as they will be too glaring for other road users.

If your Foglight is yellow, more chio...!!! 

• Praise 1

On 6/16/2019 at 10:01 PM, awhtc said:

For your led beams, just ensure they are properly aligned and not shinning up.  That's the least you can do. There is never a need to switch on fog lights in Sg, cos no fog. Good for you! 

However, some idiots like to turn them on. Front and back! There's an silver Audi A6 around my place 7773 that does it all the time. In the day too. Farking idiot driver (I think the husband only, when wife drives it no fog lights.). Means the driver consciously decides to be an idiot and turns on the fog lights everytime he starts his car.

2 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

For your led beams, just ensure they are properly aligned and not shinning up.  That's the least you can do. There is never a need to switch on fog lights in Sg, cos no fog. Good for you! 

However, some idiots like to turn them on. Front and back! There's an silver Audi A6 around my place 7773 that does it all the time. In the day too. Farking idiot driver (I think the husband only, when wife drives it no fog lights.). Means the driver consciously decides to be an idiot and turns on the fog lights everytime he starts his car.

I think I'm in your area too, always see this idiot, shld be the same guy but nvr relly memorised the plate, only noticed got a few sevens. Usually if at night I will purposely drive in front of him and on my rear fog to irritate him, he will then turn off the fog lamps, and then I would turn mine off too 🤣🤣🤣

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Neutral Newbie

Hi.
Yes, LED lights are subject to brightness checks, just like any other type of vehicle lighting. In most jurisdictions, there are specific regulations governing the brightness of vehicle lights, including headlights, tail lights, turn signals, and interior lights. These regulations are in place to ensure that vehicle lighting is not too bright or too dim, as this can be a safety hazard for drivers and other road users.
If you are planning to install LED lights on your vehicle, it is important to check the relevant regulations in your jurisdiction to ensure that the lights comply with brightness requirements. If you are unsure whether your lights meet the legal standards, you can consult with a professional installer or contact your local motor vehicle agency for guidance.

↡ Advertisement