Shift to new satellite base ERP system in 2020

Staff69

14 hours ago, Voodooman said:

If everyone acts passively, nothing changes.  It doesn't take too long to write an email anyway. 

I believe nowadays many people acts passively, thats why many things never change. Cause if only 1 or two persons writing an email, really not much use de, as the authorities might think you are too fussy since no other people complaining. Lol.

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I believe nowadays many people acts passively, thats why many things never change. Cause if only 1 or two persons writing an email, really not much use de, as the authorities might think you are too fussy since no other people complaining. Lol.

I have written in to OYK with the following queries:

1.       What parameters did LTA use to decide that this is the best system?

2.       How many members of the tender assessment team are frequent car users/owners?

3.       Did the team consider the impact of the Processing Unit size on very small cars like the Daihatsu Copen for example, and assessed how comfortable/uncomfortable it is to have the Unit against the legs of the passenger in such cars?

4.       Did the team also consider how the A-pillar visibility is affected by the 152mmx80mm screen on small cars?

5.       Instead of ‘See(ing) how to do better next time’, why not see how to do better now? When is the ‘next time’? Does it mean car owners get to remove the 3-piece unit ‘next time’? Will that leave unsightly installation marks in the car? If so, this may impact export prices when the car is due for scrap.

And received the following reply:

“I am afraid the nexgen ERP tender has to proceed because the current ERP system, which is more than two decades old, will be reaching the end of its operational lifespan.

In this case, there are real practical constraints to doing public consultations. It was an international tender for a first-of-its-kind road pricing system. Various proposals came in, and LTA selected the best one based on various considerations, including design, in 2016. After that, LTA is contractually bound. I suppose it could have included post-award consultation as a condition, but that will be bound to bump up the contract cost because the tenderer needs to factor in changes in design after award. There is no free lunch, but it is something we can consider incorporating for future contracts of a similar nature.

For security reasons, ERP charging will be through the new On-Board Unit (OBU), which is an integral part of a closed system, to ensure data integrity. This is because the ERP system contains the detailed travel data of one million motorists, which needs to be protected, and it is better not to allow communications linkages between the system and personal handphones.

As for the design, the OBU is indeed slightly larger than the current IU, and is around the same size as some smartphones. I believe it is possible to install it in a way that is not more obtrusive than the current IU.

Over the next few months, LTA will be consulting the industry, including workshops, to ensure the OBU is installed in an optimal way. We will also study a future upgrade, for motorists to replace the OBU touchscreen display with smartphone displays, (with the OBU still processing the payments), and taking into consideration data integrity and user experience.”

My thoughts to the above reply is that it is likely to be a standard copy and paste job and it did not even attempt to answer my queries. I am not even sure OYK really read the email. It is probably managed by MOT account handlers. Why is it that LTA can think of engaging the industry now, but not the drivers who are the intended beneficiaries of this new system?

So, I think unilateral engagement with the G will likely result in the same answers as above. Therefore, I think the Change.org petition has a use: to make the G see the number of drivers who think there can be a better design. The signatures have jumped exponentially over 2 days. Please continue to help send to all the people who cares about this, and encourage them to spread the word.

https://www.change.org/p/singapore-drivers-ministry-of-transport-to-redesign-ugly-new-3-piece-erp-unit?utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=custom_url&recruited_by_id=808a4910-f3e8-11ea-9fe9-0537c6856dc6

Edited by Yonjushichi
  • Praise 2
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 1

Ever since when Gov listen to common nitizens ? ..... :sick:

If already in productions, at least 400,000 units (SG car populations about 380,000) and now change design, how to recover the $$$$$$ on research & the units and where to dispose them ? ... :slow:

Mati mati must carry on and finish issuing this batches lor. :darkmood:

Later on in the years ahead, they will said facelift or upgrade ....:that-dood-is-up-to-something:

Why Japan can do it (when I was driving in Hokkaido) with only one unit installed inside the glove compartment and drivers slot in the ETC 'card' equal to SG cash card....   :slow:

Japan technologies cannot be behind SG right ? ...:wut:

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15

6 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Why Japan can do it (when I was driving in Hokkaido) with only one unit installed inside the glove compartment and drivers slot in the ETS 'card' equal to SG cash card....   :slow:

Japan technologies cannot be behind SG right ? ...:wut:

coz is not GPS?

image.png.37e9a0c9ce900f0ddd4aac72ce7827ad.png

4 minutes ago, Eyke said:

coz is not GPS?

image.png.37e9a0c9ce900f0ddd4aac72ce7827ad.png

GPS programe can install into the unit .... [rolleyes]

If IT can design a portable "Mobile Data Device" to pluck into laptop (USB/Thumbdrive) and stay connected with the internet anywhre, why can't LTA issue one and we pluck it into our HU ? :slow:

2 hours ago, Yonjushichi said:

2.       How many members of the tender assessment team are frequent car users/owners?

3.       Did the team consider the impact of the Processing Unit size on very small cars like the Daihatsu Copen for example, and assessed how comfortable/uncomfortable it is to have the Unit against the legs of the passenger in such cars?

4.       Did the team also consider how the A-pillar visibility is affected by the 152mmx80mm screen on small cars?

5.       Instead of ‘See(ing) how to do better next time’, why not see how to do better now? When is the ‘next time’? Does it mean car owners get to remove the 3-piece unit ‘next time’? Will that leave unsightly installation marks in the car? If so, this may impact export prices when the car is due for scrap.

“I am afraid the nexgen ERP tender has to proceed because the current ERP system, which is more than two decades old, will be reaching the end of its operational lifespan.

In this case, there are real practical constraints to doing public consultations. It was an international tender for a first-of-its-kind road pricing system. Various proposals came in, and LTA selected the best one based on various considerations, including design, in 2016. After that, LTA is contractually bound. I suppose it could have included post-award consultation as a condition, but that will be bound to bump up the contract cost because the tenderer needs to factor in changes in design after award. There is no free lunch, but it is something we can consider incorporating for future contracts of a similar nature.

For security reasons, ERP charging will be through the new On-Board Unit (OBU), which is an integral part of a closed system, to ensure data integrity. This is because the ERP system contains the detailed travel data of one million motorists, which needs to be protected, and it is better not to allow communications linkages between the system and personal handphones.

As for the design, the OBU is indeed slightly larger than the current IU, and is around the same size as some smartphones. I believe it is possible to install it in a way that is not more obtrusive than the current IU.

Over the next few months, LTA will be consulting the industry, including workshops, to ensure the OBU is installed in an optimal way. We will also study a future upgrade, for motorists to replace the OBU touchscreen display with smartphone displays, (with the OBU still processing the payments), and taking into consideration data integrity and user experience.”

My thoughts to the above reply is that it is likely to be a standard copy and paste job and it did not even attempt to answer my queries. I am not even sure OYK really read the email. It is probably managed by MOT account handlers. Why is it that LTA can think of engaging the industry now, but not the drivers who are the intended beneficiaries of this new system?

So, I think unilateral engagement with the G will likely result in the same answers as above. Therefore, I think the Change.org petition has a use: to make the G see the number of drivers who think there can be a better design. The signatures have jumped exponentially over 2 days. Please continue to help send to all the people who cares about this, and encourage them to spread the word.

https://www.change.org/p/singapore-drivers-ministry-of-transport-to-redesign-ugly-new-3-piece-erp-unit?utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=custom_url&recruited_by_id=808a4910-f3e8-11ea-9fe9-0537c6856dc6

I think it is their usual practise, a standard copy and paste reply. And i believe the email to OYK should managed by his assistant or something.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
4 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

GPS programe can install into the unit .... [rolleyes]

If IT can design a portable "Mobile Data Device" to pluck into laptop (USB/Thumbdrive) and stay connected with the internet anywhre, why can't LTA issue one and we pluck it into our HU ? :slow:

Now dashcam also got LTE liao.

image.thumb.png.7e346cb73bea0200a2227cdd109a86fb.png

Not difficult at all lah. See want or don't want only. hahah.

• Praise 3

Perhaps I'm slow but does anyone noticed, using Waze, it is now able to route in tunnels, like MCE, CTE.

It still complains about no gps signal, but now able to route.

I think LTA has already injected gps data/signal into the tunnels, ready for next gen ERP.

• Praise 1

19 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Perhaps I'm slow but does anyone noticed, using Waze, it is now able to route in tunnels, like MCE, CTE.

I think LTA has already injected gps data/signal into the tunnels, ready for next gen ERP.

It does not use any GPS.

It is based on how fast the car travelled previously 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

Maybe we have Waze Beacons now? But I doubt it.  It is intermittent, so it is likely a software extrapolation.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/drive/2020/03/04/malaysia-is-the-first-sea-country-to-get-waze-underground-tunnel-mapping/1843393

• Praise 2

9 hours ago, 13177 said:

I think it is their usual practise, a standard copy and paste reply. And i believe the email to OYK should managed by his assistant or something.

Maybe got bot to  scan  and auto forward to LTA

• Haha! 1

12 hours ago, Yonjushichi said:

Yes, need to share as widely as possible. Post to your car brand/model FB, telegram, whatsapp groups and urge people to sign the petition. Act now or hold your piece (of shit design OBU)

3 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Maybe got bot to  scan  and auto forward to LTA

If route back to LTA then that's it liao. High chance LTA would not bother much on the feedback received.

2 hours ago, Kb27 said:

Waze is now using simulation mode in tunnel when there is no GPS. So when in tunnel and then you see that there speed is gone and the navigation still navigate.. That is waze navigation simulation mode.. 

On 9/22/2020 at 8:54 PM, Didu said:

One high SES writing in probably more powerful than 5000 medium SES feedback [laugh]

Any of you ah sir, ah mdm got head got face one, please help leh....[laugh] for the sake of your lanbo, Fallali, maslati, maclalan, ..and all those beautiful cars in your garages. Imagine LTA going to apply double-sided tape, or God forbids screws onto your genuine Italian leather. Who in their right mind would do such things one...<facepa

Maserati now been relegated a different SES.