Shift to new satellite base ERP system in 2020

Staff69

8 hours ago, Lotr said:

Yes, need to share as widely as possible. Post to your car brand/model FB, telegram, whatsapp groups and urge people to sign the petition. Act now or hold your piece (of shit design OBU)

Yes please do that. If the petition does get to a significant number, we will forward it to HSK who has been exhorting that the G will listen to Singaporeans "with humility and respect" : https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/parliament-4g-leaders-will-listen-to-peoples-views-launch-discussion-series-heng-swee-keat

Let's get to at least 10% of the total number of cars here. Even if it fails, then at least we can tell ourselves that we have tried.

https://www.change.org/p/singapore-drivers-ministry-of-transport-to-redesign-ugly-new-3-piece-erp-unit?utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=custom_url&recruited_by_id=808a4910-f3e8-11ea-9fe9-0537c6856dc6

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Yonjushichi said:

Yes please do that. If the petition does get to a significant number, we will forward it to HSK who has been exhorting that the G will listen to Singaporeans "with humility and respect" : https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/parliament-4g-leaders-will-listen-to-peoples-views-launch-discussion-series-heng-swee-keat

Let's get to at least 10% of the total number of cars here. Even if it fails, then at least we can tell ourselves that we have tried.

https://www.change.org/p/singapore-drivers-ministry-of-transport-to-redesign-ugly-new-3-piece-erp-unit?utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=custom_url&recruited_by_id=808a4910-f3e8-11ea-9fe9-0537c6856dc6

Yes, I have signed, shared, commented and fedback to LTA.

Seriously feel that need to do something about this.

The number of people signed has increased almost 10 times since early this week but now still less than 200.

Meanwhile, OYK's FB post has 1.1k likes and only 83 😡.

Edited by Lotr

What s the agenda behind this new satellite based ERP system? 

My understanding is that the government is introducing this to move away from the conventional Road Tax regime together with ERP collection. The new Road Tax regime is supposed to be distance based, as in the more you drive the more you pay. With this, the conventional Annual Road Tax will be removed. Question is, will we end up paying more than the amount we are paying the Annual Road Tax currently?

Distance based is fair but I guess, the reason for driving should also be considered. For instance, I stay in the East and works in the West, daily commuting to and from office is in excess of 70 KM. But it is for work which I cannot help but incur. Comparing this to leisure driving.

Design for the reader wise, to me, is lesser of a concern though.  

14 minutes ago, Daryllim69 said:

What s the agenda behind this new satellite based ERP system? 

My understanding is that the government is introducing this to move away from the conventional Road Tax regime together with ERP collection. The new Road Tax regime is supposed to be distance based, as in the more you drive the more you pay. With this, the conventional Annual Road Tax will be removed. Question is, will we end up paying more than the amount we are paying the Annual Road Tax currently?

Distance based is fair but I guess, the reason for driving should also be considered. For instance, I stay in the East and works in the West, daily commuting to and from office is in excess of 70 KM. But it is for work which I cannot help but incur. Comparing this to leisure driving.

Design for the reader wise, to me, is lesser of a concern though.  

where u gather annual road tax will be removed?

petrol tax is already a form of usage tax, but it's there in addition to road tax.

remember what happened when pump prices dropped drastically? they increased the petrol tax to maintain the price.

1. someone once said "what's wrong with collecting more money?"

2. the goal is still car-lite.

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Eyke said:

petrol tax is already a form of usage tax, but it's there in addition to road tax.

remember what happened when pump prices dropped drastically? they increased the petrol tax to maintain the price.

Ya lor.. 

26 minutes ago, Eyke said:

Car drivers are still the best source of discretionary taxes for the government, besides smokers. No one forced you to smoke, no one forced you to drive. You want to own a car, you pay whatever taxes thrown in your way.

With all the WFH, the car is becoming a white elephant. I used to clock about 1000km a month, but since CB started, I have only clocked about 1000km till date.

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Alpha78 said:

Car drivers are still the best source of discretionary taxes for the government, besides smokers. No one forced you to smoke, no one forced you to drive. You want to own a car, you pay whatever taxes thrown in your way.

With all the WFH, the car is becoming a white elephant. I used to clock about 1000km a month, but since CB started, I have only clocked about 1000km till date.

car owners are very patriotic coz we basically volunteer to pay a lot more tax.

but they could save a lot of money in administration if they just streamline all the different car taxes.

eg. we already have distance-charging already, it's called petrol tax! which is also a green tax as you pay more if vehicle not as efficient...

14 minutes ago, Alpha78 said:

I sold my daily driver in April. Good feeling. 

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

I sold my daily driver in April. Good feeling. 

Good for you. By daily driver, I reckon you have other cars which are not daily driven.

I have only 1 car, used to ferry everyone in the household when the occasion calls for it. Still hesitant to sell it, because I have already taken the hit for the first 5 years' depreciation, next 5 years will average out. If I sell now and later decide to get another one, I'll end up taking another hit.

6 minutes ago, Alpha78 said:

Good for you. By daily driver, I reckon you have other cars which are not daily driven.

Classic plater nia. limited use, which kinda works for nowadays situation. 

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Eyke said:

but they could save a lot of money in administration if they just streamline all the different car taxes.

There is a reason why they don't streamline, I think.  So they can increase more.

Lets say

Year 1 petrol tax up

Year 2 road tax up

Year 3 coe tax/vep up

Year 4 erp up

Year 5 inspection fees for car up.

Year 6 time to review petrol tax cos not changed for 5 years liao.

If it's all streamlined

Year 1 streamlined tax up

They cant increase for the next 5 years without big hoo ha.....

And one shot the tax increase must be a lot so sure got hoo haa.  With these little bit can always argue only a few dollars more....

Two cents

10 hours ago, Yewheng said:

Waze is now using simulation mode in tunnel when there is no GPS. So when in tunnel and then you see that there speed is gone and the navigation still navigate.. That is waze navigation simulation mode.. 

Maybe the app has changed. Previously, I notice it is not so accurate. It tries, but seems to get lost until exit tunnel esp KPE.

But last few days I watched it navigate in MCE and it was pretty accurate, it didn't get "lost" like in KPE.

12 hours ago, Kb27 said:

Perhaps I'm slow but does anyone noticed, using Waze, it is now able to route in tunnels, like MCE, CTE.

It still complains about no gps signal, but now able to route.

I think LTA has already injected gps data/signal into the tunnels, ready for next gen ERP.

Using waze on your phone will just use base stations as signal underground...no?

1 hour ago, Beanoyip said:

Using waze on your phone will just use base stations as signal underground...no?

nope, otherwise it should still work if you turn off GPS

On 9/21/2020 at 10:54 AM, Eyke said:

Their reply to my suggestion of using motorcycle-style 1-piece OBU for cars:

"The 3-piece On-Board Unit design is essentially to overcome the heat issue in the vehicle cabin when parked under the hot sun.  As such, it is designed as a separate module, instead of making it part of a much larger single unit on the dashboard.  

We will be engaging the industry including workshops soon to explore ways to install the OBU, minimising obstruction and intrusion to drivers and passengers.

We thank you for writing in.

Yours sincerely
Leng Soon Pak
Senior Technical Manager
ERP2 Development"

No chance of U-turn...Re-think also difficult 😆

I think it's bulls**t that they kept using heat management as the reason to justify the cumbersome 3 piece system in cars.

If the motorcycle unit can withstand the direct onslaught of the elements while doing the same function, why the car system has to have a separate processing unit? Motorcyclists are second class road users and are not entitled to the "value-added" service of real time traffic information? 

Car manufacturers have dealt with this problem with international vehicular standards for thermal management since eons ago, else the instrumentation, infotainment and electronics within the dashboard of our cars would have been fried when parked under the hot sun. 

If the processing unit runs so hot that it cannot withstand elevated interior temperatures, then perhaps LTA has been taken for a ride into accepting a hardware solution of questionable quality. Else, make it possible to mount it under the seats or the boot if the bloody unit can get heat stroke that easily.

The entire explanation just doesn't make any good sense. 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 5

3 hours ago, Kb27 said:

Maybe the app has changed. Previously, I notice it is not so accurate. It tries, but seems to get lost until exit tunnel esp KPE.

But last few days I watched it navigate in MCE and it was pretty accurate, it didn't get "lost" like in KPE.

It's base on the route and simulate the driving in the tunnel using your last speed. This is similar to Garmin GPS. It doesn't track you cause no GPS. If you stop at one side, likely it will continue to move and route. 

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Dafansu said:

It's base on the route and simulate the driving in the tunnel using your last speed. This is similar to Garmin GPS. It doesn't track you cause no GPS. If you stop at one side, likely it will continue to move and route. 

software dead reckoning and map matching. works for a while only.

• Praise 1

On 9/11/2020 at 11:22 AM, Eyke said:

There wasn't ANY!

WHY WAS THERE NO CONSULTATION ON THE DESIGN OF THE OBU?

Mr Ong said that LTA had some "practical constraints".

"It called an international tender and various proposals came including this current one. LTA then had to choose the best system to replace the old ERP system. After that LTA is contractually bound. 

"There can be consultations and change of design but it will affect the contract. 

Huh? What bulls**t excuse is this? Govt never renegotiate contracts before?

On 9/11/2020 at 11:23 AM, yishunite said:

Sack the idiot who ran the tender then

The person who runs the tender is just an administrator. The one who should be sacked is the one who came up with the technical specs and the one who approved it.

↡ Advertisement