Weekly dengue cases in Singapore spike to highest in more than 3 years

Blueray

The public is strongly encouraged to eradicate potential mosquito breeding habitats and step up housekeeping measures in their respective premises, with steps such as:

• Turn pails over

• Tip vases

• Flip flowerpot plates

• Loosen hardened soil

• Clear roof gutters and place BTI insecticide inside

Those planning to go on vacation should bring insect repellent while travelling. They should also mosquito-proof their homes before they travel, with such measures:

• Cover toilet bowls and seal off overflow pipes of flushing cisterns

• Cover floor traps

• Add granular insecticide to places where mosquitoes could breed, and in places where stagnant water cannot be removed

• Clear debris and add BTI insecticide in roof gutters

• Turn over water storage containers and wipe rims dry

• Ask a relative or trusted friend to check your home regularly for stagnant water if you are going away for a long time

• Leave your contact details with your neighbours or the neighbourhood police post/centre so that you can be reached easily

Persons infected with dengue should protect themselves from mosquito bites by applying repellent regularly. The symptoms of dengue include:

• Sudden onset of fever for two to seven days

• Severe headache with retro-orbital (behind the eye) pain

• Joint and muscle pain

• Skin rash

• Nausea and vomiting

• Bleeding from the nose or gums

• Easy bruising of the skin

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/rising-number-of-dengue-cases-active-clusters-nea-urges-collective-effort-to-control-situation-014401264.html

• Praise 4

84-year-old woman dies from dengue in 5th fatal case this year

As of Jun 15, there have been 5,184 dengue cases reported in total this year, more than the 3,285 cases reported in the whole of 2018 and 2,772 cases in 2017.

"While there are certain geographical clusters which accounted for the bulk of the increase in dengue cases, such as at Woodlands, Geylang, Jalan Lembah Thomson and Chai Chee, there has been a general uptrend in dengue cases across the island," said NEA and MOH.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/fifth-dengue-death-2019-geylang-nea-moh-11646056

Dengue infections hit 500 weekly with total this year exceeding 6,200

People with dengue usually have a sudden onset of fever that lasts up to seven days, coupled with severe headache, joint and muscle pain, nausea and vomiting and skin rash.

In more severe cases, there is haemorrhaging, with bleeding from gums and nose as well as under the skin or blood in urine and stools.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/dengue-infections-hit-500-weekly-with-total-this-year-exceeding-6200

A lot of the dengue mosquitoes come from construction sites. With record numbers of construction sites, new mrt sites, work sites, road works, and what's not... it's not surprising at all to see record infections year after year.

Supersonic

A lot of the dengue mosquitoes come from construction sites. With record numbers of construction sites, new mrt sites, work sites, road works, and what's not... it's not surprising at all to see record infections year after year.

Thought NEA said most dengue cases come from household?  [:/]

(edited)

Thought NEA said most dengue cases come from household?  [:/]

There has to be that one central breeding ground that starts the breeding and it spreads to the residential areas to breed. I believe the central breeding ground comes from the sites I have mentioned. The contruction sites for residential be it BTO or private can be the size of several football fields compared to households the size is very large. It can be quite a hazardous place to do checks. The only way for them to know is an outbreak of sick construction workers but by then it's too late.

If what NEA is doing isn't working but saw an increase in numbers then the root cause just isn't from the households.

I also suspect construction companies sent groups of sick workers back to India and get a new batch new workers easily. If sick foreign works were to seek treatment here the authorities will be notified and they will get fined and harassed. So a better solution will be to sent the sick ones home. All such cases will go unnoticed and breeding will spread like siao.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Take a look around HDB estates. Many of the apron drains around the blocks are not properly screeded so water accumulates.

Actually the previous outbreak of the Zika virus is a good example. Most of those infected were foreign construction workers, and all lived or worked within the same region.

NEA? [sleeping]

I dont understand why households are to be blamed and fined.

Supersonic
(edited)

Actually the previous outbreak of the Zika virus is a good example. Most of those infected were foreign construction workers, and all lived or worked within the same region.

NEA? [sleeping]

I dont understand why households are to be blamed and fined.

Dont know how NEA conduct their checks? I remember i saw recent news reported that household is the culprit of breeding dengue mozzie, they found dengue mozzie inside household.

But construction site confirmed a good breeding ground for mozzies even they are are not dengue mozzies lo. Recently my house area have some construction and works going on, noticed many mozzies appeared in my house, now the works has completed, dont notice much mozzie liao. Luckily none of those mozzies are dengue. 

Edited by 13177

Dont know how NEA conduct their checks? I remember i saw recent news reported that household is the culprit of breeding dengue mozzie, they found dengue mozzie inside household.

But construction site confirmed a good breeding ground for mozzies even they are are not dengue mozzies lo. Recently my house area have some construction and works going on, noticed many mozzies appeared in my house, now the works has completed, dont notice much mozzie liao. Luckily none of those mozzies are dengue. 

I think many ppl share the same experience. Ground zero of the breeding of Aedes mosquitoes has to be at construction sites or whatever work sites. Then it spreads to the nearby residences.

Turbocharged

I've been bitten by the aedes mosquitoes before but just lucky it didn't suck a dengue victim before biting me. That's how the virus spreads.

I think NEA should study correlation between % of elderly population living alone Vs dengue cases. I visit elderly folks from time to time. These are good law-abiding pioneer citizens, sometimes live alone. On a few visits I saw water bowls for their cat/dog full of mozzie larvae.

These poor folks did their best, but eyesight failing them.

Supersonic

I've been bitten by the aedes mosquitoes before but just lucky it didn't suck a dengue victim before biting me. That's how the virus spreads.

I think NEA should study correlation between % of elderly population living alone Vs dengue cases. I visit elderly folks from time to time. These are good law-abiding pioneer citizens, sometimes live alone. On a few visits I saw water bowls for their cat/dog full of mozzie larvae.

Eyesight fail but this won't happen if they change the water bowl everyday....

So can't say they are doing their best.

Supersonic

Aedes mozzie is common, i also got bitten by them but lucky they dont carry the dengue virus. 

Turbocharged

Eyesight fail but this won't happen if they change the water bowl everyday....

So can't say they are doing their best.

At different phases of life, we have different interpretations of best.
↡ Advertisement