Weekly dengue cases in Singapore spike to highest in more than 3 years

Blueray

Tool kits to prevent mosquito breeding to be given to about 75,000 landed homes, as dengue cases remain high

Singapore saw one of its worst dengue outbreaks this year, with both the year's tally of cases so far and the weekly number of new cases surpassing historic highs.

As of Wednesday (Nov 18), there have been 33,844 dengue cases in Singapore, with 355 cases reported last week.

"While this is five times lower than the peak of 1,792 seen in July this year, the weekly number of dengue cases remains high, at about two times more than the number of cases seen in the corresponding period averaged over the last three years," the agency said.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/dengue-mosquito-prevention-tool-kits-landed-homes-nea-13592004

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

But we probably spend 100x more money on covid...

Maybe this is why we can control covid than dengue? 

45 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Maybe this is why we can control covid than dengue? 

Maybe we still have not figured out getting mosquito to social distance...

• Haha! 1

16 hours ago, Wind30 said:

But we probably spend 100x more money on covid...

1 of the biggest problem is, there no single ministry taking care of dengue. Who is responsible for blocked public drains? When there is no action, who can you refer matter to? MP? 

NEA right?

Which is under the Ministry of Water and Environment (something like that)... Helmed by Minister Masagos if I recall correctly.

Edited by Showster
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Showster said:

NEA right?

Which is under the Ministry of Water and Environment (something like that)... Helmed by Minister Masagos if I recall correctly.

just use the Oneservice apps to try out. Look for a block drain and send. Weeks later still the same but it is stated in apps as closed. Send again, same result  

18 hours ago, Wind30 said:

Maybe we still have not figured out getting mosquito to social distance...

Precisely, cannot get mozzie to wear mask mandatory also?! 😅

As usual blame home owners. As if mosquitoes don't breed in longkangs, pools of water in empty state land, bus stop roofs, MSCP scupper drains, old metal signpost stumps and other areas maintained by chenghu and town councils.

Edited by Kklim

2 hours ago, Victor68 said:

1 of the biggest problem is, there no single ministry taking care of dengue. Who is responsible for blocked public drains? When there is no action, who can you refer matter to? MP? 

Drains are PUB's turf. Roads are LTA's. Dead leaves: NEA. So NEA contractors sweep leaves into longkang, long clog up, mosquitoes breed in longkang but I've never heard of PUB (or another other stat board) being fined by NEA. What I do is write to MP and cc all three.

Edited by Kklim
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Kklim said:

Drains are PUB's turf. Roads are LTA's. Dead leaves: NEA. So NEA contractors sweep leaves into longkang, long clog up, mosquitoes breed in longkang but I've never heard of PUB (or another other stat board) being fined by NEA. What I do is write to MP and cc all three.

then the Oneservice apps is a failure liao. Just for show.

thinking out loud here.

our drains were mostly exposed type. now more and more are being covered up for walkways. 

so when drains are clogged + no sunlight = more dengue breeding ? 

NEA kicks off year-end dengue prevention campaign by distributing toolkits to residents

The outbreak this year is the worst dengue epidemic ever experienced in Singapore, with more people infected and dead from the mosquito-borne disease than ever before.

Close to 34,000 people have been diagnosed with dengue so far, or more than 50 per cent more than the total seen in any previous year.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/nea-kicks-off-year-end-dengue-prevention-campaign-by-distributing-toolkits-to-residents

On 11/21/2020 at 11:21 AM, Kklim said:

Any use when you write to MP and cc all three?

5 minutes ago, Kklim said:

Yup!

Seems like always need to write to much higher level then problem can be resolve. If not, nothing will be done much. [shakehead]

↡ Advertisement