Weekly dengue cases in Singapore spike to highest in more than 3 years

Blueray

On 11/21/2020 at 8:59 AM, Victor68 said:

1 of the biggest problem is, there no single ministry taking care of dengue. Who is responsible for blocked public drains? When there is no action, who can you refer matter to? MP? 

Create another ministry lor - Ministry of Mosquitoes. So, as long as mosquitoes issues is involved, be it inside, outside, drains, pathways....., call the Ministry of Mosquitoes.

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

36 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Create another ministry lor - Ministry of Mosquitoes. So, as long as mosquitoes issues is involved, be it inside, outside, drains, pathways....., call the Ministry of Mosquitoes.

Creating a Ministry of Mosquitoes got use? Even you see the Ministry of Transport, also dont know what the people inside that ministry do? And transport still have so many issues?

• Praise 1

48 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Creating a Ministry of Mosquitoes got use? Even you see the Ministry of Transport, also dont know what the people inside that ministry do? And transport still have so many issues?

A bit got use lah. At least one point of contact, instead of being pushed here and there. LOL

• Haha! 1

On 11/21/2020 at 11:25 AM, Victor68 said:

then the Oneservice apps is a failure liao. Just for show.

Maybe your Oneservice app is not working.

Mine is working fine

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1680.PNG

IMG_1678.PNG

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/forum/forum-consider-selective-use-of-dengvaxia-vaccine-for-seniors

Consider selective use of Dengvaxia vaccine for seniors

I wish to comment on and give more information regarding The Straits Times' report on the dengue surge in Singapore (Dengue cases cross 8,000 mark within first 5 months of this year, May 15).

For readers' information, a safe and effective vaccine to protect people from dengue infection, Dengvaxia, has been available and approved for use in Singapore by the Health Sciences Authority since October 2016.

This vaccination, however, is not recommended for those who have not had dengue infection before, as an increased risk of hospitalisation for dengue and severe dengue has been observed.

In my considered view, this caution may not apply as much to the elderly above 65 who, because of their age, would have been exposed to the dengue virus before in their younger years, or might actually have had dengue with no or mild symptoms.

And because older people are at higher risk of severe dengue and death, I feel the judicious use of the vaccine - with a check for previous infection - for this segment of the population can add significantly to the tools we have to fight dengue.

Perhaps it could be considered as a potential preventive measure in addition to the proven public health interventions already in place?

Tikki Pang (Professor)

• Praise 1

On 5/19/2022 at 7:56 AM, Windwaver said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/forum/forum-consider-selective-use-of-dengvaxia-vaccine-for-seniors

Consider selective use of Dengvaxia vaccine for seniors

I wish to comment on and give more information regarding The Straits Times' report on the dengue surge in Singapore (Dengue cases cross 8,000 mark within first 5 months of this year, May 15).

For readers' information, a safe and effective vaccine to protect people from dengue infection, Dengvaxia, has been available and approved for use in Singapore by the Health Sciences Authority since October 2016.

This vaccination, however, is not recommended for those who have not had dengue infection before, as an increased risk of hospitalisation for dengue and severe dengue has been observed.

In my considered view, this caution may not apply as much to the elderly above 65 who, because of their age, would have been exposed to the dengue virus before in their younger years, or might actually have had dengue with no or mild symptoms.

And because older people are at higher risk of severe dengue and death, I feel the judicious use of the vaccine - with a check for previous infection - for this segment of the population can add significantly to the tools we have to fight dengue.

Perhaps it could be considered as a potential preventive measure in addition to the proven public health interventions already in place?

Tikki Pang (Professor)

This dengue vaccine is for age 12 year old to 45 year old? Dont know why until now they still cannot have cure for dengue, even though dengue has been around for so long?

Anyway, my area just removed from red zone dengue cluster in last month, recently back to red zone again! And this time NEA officer even come into our house for inspection. [sweatdrop]

Turbocharged
(edited)

In our tropical country, almost impossible to eradicate mosquitoes breeding. However, not enough efforts was done in my opinion. NEA choose the simpler way or just fumigate driving a truck along the road which did almost nothing to breeding. Drains were hardly cleared due to lack of manpower. Once public drains was under PUB, then ENV, then nobody. Who actually inspect them? 

Edited by Victor68

Hypersonic
On 11/20/2020 at 10:25 AM, Blueray said:

Tool kits to prevent mosquito breeding to be given to about 75,000 landed homes, as dengue cases remain high

Rich people problem.

:D

Supersonic
On 2/23/2024 at 4:24 PM, yishunite said:

My ma tio dengue last month. Apparently her area in AMK many cases. Heng recover before CNY lol

Dengue more difficult to prevent than covid. As you cannot control the mozzie from biting you even you have done the preventive measures.

Hypersonic
On 2/23/2024 at 4:46 PM, 13177 said:

Dengue more difficult to prevent than covid. As you cannot control the mozzie from biting you even you have done the preventive measures.

iirc, for the past 2 years, dengue fatalities > covid fatalities.

just surprised that so little advisories re dengue. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1