Ho Ching seriously considering nuclear plant in SG

Lethalstrike

NO!

1 mismatch all die! 

Easy target to wipe SG out with conventional weapon.

↡ Advertisement

The idea is not new.  It was first brought up in 2010.

https://www.pmo.gov.sg/newsroom/speech-mr-lee-hsien-loong-prime-minister-singapore-international-energy-week-01-november

Then the Fukushima disaster happened a few months later in 2011.

I guess then the idea got KIV'ed. 

While I am not totally for or against the idea of nuclear, I guess I will be always mindful of the Four National Taps -  Local catchment, imported water, NeWater and Desalinated water.  

No prizes for knowing which is the tap that has always been an issue and that it would be turned off eventually and also,  the tap that is energy intensive.  I would say at the end of the day,  it will likely become three.

Perhaps majority of this generation would not see it,  but likely majority of the next generation would.  

Different people see things differently.  

A leak would result in All of our National Taps being toxic waste taps. Which will destroy what LKY took decades to build and maintain. Agree that we have to come up with innovations to become greener, but nuclear? Is it really greener?

• Praise 2

NO!

1 mismatch all die! 

Easy target to wipe SG out with conventional weapon.

Hahaha.. agree..  Actually no need other conventional weapons. 1 mistake and we would have created our own cremation ground. Right in our own home. What a way to die... 

• Praise 3

Yes very safe. For HER. 

Any accidents - she and family can be on first plane out of Singapore. 

How many of us can? 

• Praise 3

Are they going to import ceca ? Jap? Prc?

This if ever done, will be strategic national asset... there is no Singaporean expertise at all.

Nd at least 10 20 years to train and develops a core group first?

Supercharged

I am for this idea. But I am not sure pap is able to handle it. Nuclear is good. SG is a good place to run a nuclear plant if done properly and well , we have the $$$ to bring in th best and we hav no natural disasters. Limitless energy. If msia n indo want to do I will be worried.

I thought screwing up is a trend now? 

This one cannot come out say honest mistake and ask to move on leh..

• Praise 1

(edited)

That's y cannot hav pap ppl in charge like those crappy saf paper generals.

If we hav a nuclear plant. Nobody nearby will dare to touch us. You die, I die, everybody die.

With a nuclear plant. No more issues with water desalination, electric cars, etc. All the power we need. No more relying on coal, natural gas.

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

(edited)

I think it's an issue we will have to face sooner or later. Right now we are burning fossil fuel to generate electricity. Fossil fuel will run out sooner or later. Sure, there are alternative fuels to burn and alternative energy but it's not really sustainable long term as we have to depend on others to supply that fuel. If those ppl KL we will be under their mercy much like our water supply issue. Once we are able to self-sustain our own water supply the threats are gone.

Question is where will the nuclear facility be built? Underground? On the sea? If the Japanese is able to built a floating city above the sea. It's highly possible. Cooling of the plant will be a lot easier if it's built partially submerge in the sea. No need active power to pump cooling water like they have mentioned. It's using some kinda natural cooling using sea water.

If touch wood really some sh!t happens maybe they will flood the chamber with sea water. We will surely face doubts and opposition. But we need some kinda long term solution. Fossil fuel wont be around forever. Our neighbours have the same dilemma. They will be watching us and see how we do it. They will follow soon enough since their population is much larger than our and their power consumption is a lot higher.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

If every night cannot turn on air-con, no electric cars, no electric dryer, no then no need nuclear. You want ?

thats why those cheapskate BMW driver dont signal.

Save battery power..

You can give all the positive points you want, but when shit happens like Chernobyl and Fukushima, you're gonna be screwed.

If the "second generation" of nuclear power plants are "safe" as claimed as Ho Jinx, why hasn't other countries that are already using nuclear power plants upgraded to the "second generation"?

Objectively, who amongst us, besides using Google and internet research can confidently say its not gonna work? Seriously.

And i asked because i hope we really should know what to fire at, besides the person or who she represent.

Easy to fire at anything and anyone. Just type only what.

But is this idea workable? A greener world? Why aren't other countries running over themselves to build one? Cos they own oil and gas fields?

Most importantly. How much will it cost? Will our national reserves be heavily exhausted and who is tasked to ensure this will not only be feasible but meet all its objectives within a short time frame (dun tell me 10 years)?

Do we need this NOW? Can we wait 20 years later when the soft fail systems are even more advanced and robust in doing what it should do?

At the end of the day, energy is only an aspect of a greener world. For me personally, looking at cutting down on plastic and food wastes are more critical.

Will oil producing neighbours boycott us citing nuclear waste by-products? Shot these into space?

Oh man the sarcasm... really dark humour this post [laugh]

Ya la ya la. We are all layman waiting for the experts like ho ching to tell us what to eat , when to sleep and where to shit.

Germany, Italy and Japan are trying to reduce reliance on nuclear plants but we all know these countries know nothing about nukes and their so called experts are idiots. Our experts are all highly paid and talented.

Worse comes to worse, just appoint a former CDF to head the nuke plant.

Build it in Istana better la.

Then get #NotMyPresident to man the controls [laugh]

oxley better la.

Supersonic

I am for this idea. But I am not sure pap is able to handle it. Nuclear is good. SG is a good place to run a nuclear plant if done properly and well , we have the $$$ to bring in th best and we hav no natural disasters. Limitless energy. If msia n indo want to do I will be worried.

Like you, I would prefer Singapore to do this rather than Indonesia.  And the indonesians have been considering this for many years already.  I cannot imagine how much more dangerous it is for Indon to have nuclear power plants, given that their islands are all along the pacific rim of fire.

• Praise 3

there are many countrys that consume thousand time more power then us. and they are not using nuclear.

a small country like us that cannot even cover a dot on world map need to build nuclear plant??

it just dun make sense to me.

Don't even go there please.

I don't want to imagine a nuclear power plant being manned by foreign workers

Are they going to import ceca ? Jap? Prc?

This if ever done, will be strategic national asset... there is no Singaporean expertise at all.

Nd at least 10 20 years to train and develops a core group first?

debatable topic, i believe the plant will not be built in the island but offshore.

Many country start to explore and some country has build them. With the new technology risk can be reduced to the lowest yet question is where to dump the nuclear waste. Don't think anyone will shoot the plant even for bigger threat like NK or Iran.

Nuclear energy is not new, do you think that the govt only exploring this now?

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

I think it's an issue we will have to face sooner or later. Right now we are burning fossil fuel to generate electricity. Fossil fuel will run out sooner or later. Sure, there are alternative fuels to burn and alternative energy but it's not really sustainable long term as we have to depend on others to supply that fuel. If those ppl KL we will be under their mercy much like our water supply issue. Once we are able to self-sustain our own water supply the threats are gone.

Question is where will the nuclear facility be built? Underground? On the sea? If the Japanese is able to built a floating city above the sea. It's highly possible. Cooling of the plant will be a lot easier if it's built partially submerge in the sea. No need active power to pump cooling water like they have mentioned. It's using some kinda natural cooling using sea water.

If touch wood really some sh!t happens maybe they will flood the chamber with sea water. We will surely face doubts and opposition. But we need some kinda long term solution. Fossil fuel wont be around forever. Our neighbours have the same dilemma. They will be watching us and see how we do it. They will follow soon enough since their population is much larger than our and their power consumption is a lot higher.

There is some breakthrough in fusion power technology.. Just that it is still not feasible to be mass produce for everyday use. So just keep a look out for fusion power instead of nuclear power. That's what I feel. Edited by Yewheng

(edited)

Actually some those US aircraft carriers/ submarines are nuclear powered right ??, so far not heard of any accidents and maybe they can generate the energy offshore , never know there may have been improvements , maybe HC is privy to some kind of new tech

Edited by BanCoe
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1