Ho Ching seriously considering nuclear plant in SG

Lethalstrike

This is also what Elon Musk thinks based on conventional knowledge, and he doesn't have this technology (or easy to obtain) so he's quite pissed. 

There has been new advancement in technology to extract hydrogen, which is why there has been a renewed interest and push for Hydrogen Fuel Cell. It's still not perfect though of course. Once extracted, it can be stored and transported much more efficiently than electricity and batteries. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/26/how-toyota-is-helping-japan-create-a-hydrogen-fueled-society.html

oil price is not high currently. Lower motivation to push through industrial research on some of these alternative energy sources.

Economy of scale is also a huge factor in energy production. Too low usage, doesn't matter how sexy it sounds.

↡ Advertisement

It's not economical currently. 

We cannot afford to save our planet?

Can we afford to have it destroyed?

If we were living in a little space station what would you pay to stop it getting destroyed?

Can we afford not to keep it going and have it destroyed?

If you had a ton of gold in the space station and you had to melt the whole lot to repair a hole.

Would you do it or say save the gold and keep the hole?

:D

Some people have a little scratch on their car also cannot sleep at night.

Come here and ask how to repair the scratch huh? Spray paint how much huh?

That magic colour pens on tv work or not huh?

This planet is your car. Its more than your car.

Its like you are in hospital attached to an oxygen tank.

You will do anything to make sure nothing bad happen to your oxygen tank.

If some idiot wanted to pull out the tube to the tank for a joke you will hit him to stop it.

Now life will be very inconvenient living attached to an oxygen tank.

Lucky for us we live in an oxygen bubble.

The last thing we should do is be a prick to the bubble.  [smash]

I think people are looking at things from the wrong angle.

If the earth were to be destroyed and we were very lucky that a few of us were to escape and live on a space station

We will be very careful not to let anything happen to our space station. If there is a leak in our little space station we will all die.

If there is a fire on our little space station we will all die.

So how will we treat our life supporting space station. We will treat it as if our live depended in it.

Isn't our earth a space station?

Because our space station is so big we treat it like s-l300.jpg

Pollute it, poison it, choke it, abuse it, exploit it and destroy it.

Its the only space ship we have.

Stop screwing it up.

Please.

What to do? We populate, we become more affluent, we demand more, we become more greedy...breed more, rear more, produce more, consume more, dump more...

Simi sai also have...simi sai also want...simi sai also dump...spaceship not too happy with us liao...

Instead of fixing this ship...there are impetus efforts to build spaceships to locate replacement home out there...because our deep seeded greed hard to rid...

Where’s my Baron strong brew...?

We cannot afford to save our planet?

Can we afford to have it destroyed?

If we were living in a little space station what would you pay to stop it getting destroyed?

Can we afford not to keep it going and have it destroyed?

If you had a ton of gold in the space station and you had to melt the whole lot to repair a hole.

Would you do it or say save the gold and keep the hole?

Don't look at me. I don't run the world ha.

And we only look at short term gains.

Hypersonic

Talk is cheap lah... if PAP were to really build a nuclear plant, who is there to oppose? People in Singapore go on the street to protest ilke in HK?

• Praise 6

Low usage?

:grin:  

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

"Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."

Darryl Zanuck, executive at 20th Century Fox, 1946

"Nuclear-powered vacuum cleaners will probably be a reality within ten years."

Alex Lewyt, president of Lewyt vacuum company, 1955

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

"Almost all of the many predictions now being made about 1996 hinge on the Internet's continuing exponential growth. But I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse."

Robert Metcalfe, founder of 3Com, 1995

"Apple is already dead."

Nathan Myhrvold, former Microsoft CTO, 1997

"Two years from now, spam will be solved."

Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, 2004

• Praise 2

Talk is cheap lah... if PAP were to really build a nuclear plant, who is there to oppose? People in Singapore go on the street to protest ilke in HK?

Yes!

Same with if the neighbors want to build...cos this is your life and mine and our future generations to come.

Whatever the outcome..,at least we can tell our ancestors and descendants that we’ve tried...

That's exactly the beauty of the system.

Pure water is hard to convert to hydrogen.

Sea water is perfect because the salt acts as a conductor for electricity.

As for drying the oceans you are right it will never happen and we don't want that to happen.

The hydrogen will eventually turn back to water but its the delay that we want.

Like heavy rain turns into a flood because roads channel water to the drains very quickly.

But grassy fields hold a lot of water and prevents floods.

The other benefit of using hydrogen means we use less coal, oil, gas and that means less CO2 gas and less global warming.

So there is no "waste" from this hydrogen technology in that "waste" is water, returning back to nature and the cycle goes on?

Currently the problems are extraction of hydrogen in huge quantities, storage of it to be kept for use on "tap" so to speak?

Paiseh, the problem with Musk type of car is fire, that is, his cars have been known to catch fire on its own. Hence, the technology is still not ready or stable yet.

At the back of my mind is the populated ocean with plastic wastes. If more of such plastic wastes are not cleared, the oceans will swell even more as well.

Good alternative to nuclear power. Lets hope we will have a breakthrough in this area to harness on clean energy.

Thanks for sharing.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 2

Supercharged

No thank you.

Firstly our enemies will target it in the event of war.

Secondly it will definitely be more expensive than what we are using now.

Thirdly I think we will have the technologies to harness solar energy going forward.

• Praise 1

She would be the last person ever to be taken seriously as far as the viability of nuclear fission as an electrical power source is concerned.

post-7190-0-66037300-1561274709.png

if we really build 1, we need to spend more resource defending it then defending our own island....

i beg to differ caused with nuclear plant in SG, neigbouring countries will have to think thrice before attacking or sabotaging SG...look at fukushima and chernobyl...the spread of radioactive particles is enormous...further it is a good source of green energy if there is no disaster... 2 cents

No thank you.

Firstly our enemies will target it in the event of war.

Secondly it will definitely be more expensive than what we are using now.

Thirdly I think we will have the technologies to harness solar energy going forward.

Currently, the effectiveness of solar energy in Tropical countries about 30%.

i beg to differ caused with nuclear plant in SG, neigbouring countries will have to think thrice before attacking or sabotaging SG...look at fukushima and chernobyl...the spread of radioactive particles is enormous...further it is a good source of green energy if there is no disaster... 2 cents

all the counrty around us can survive 1 or 2 nuclear accident.

but we cannot even afford a minor 1.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Currently, the effectiveness of solar energy in Tropical countries about 30%.

Think mankind will eventually get there.

Ultraman only needs a couple of seconds to charge up....... we need to buck up.

• Praise 1