Ho Ching seriously considering nuclear plant in SG

Lethalstrike

I am more worries that if we cant even contain mat nasi lemak in the detention cell, having a nuclear energy plant on a small tiny dot may not be the best idea. 

Unless you are saying, build it in one of the tiny island that we own where bird dont lay eggs. Than perhaps viable. 

Viable for pirates to come and ransake that is.

The risk as well as risk exposure to our neighbours is a real concern.

What does our neighbour say .

Have we consider their feelings ?

or

it doesn't matter ?

tekong?

or ubin?

↡ Advertisement

Sometimes listening to speeches by these "creme de le creme" makes me wonder which dendrite am I missing in my brain and IQ that sees differently from them.

I thought PAP and their associates is always pragmatic, rather than driven by lofty, impractical, ideals?

With this Greening movement, going nuclear should be one of the last items on their plate....

Have they considered researching more efficient trash to energy incinerator, reduction in waste, recycling to make them a world's first like SIA?

With government building 80% of the housing needs, and an obedient population, it should be a low hanging fruit to become the highest waste to reusables/recyclables per Kg consumption population.

( Although we can reduce pollution through reduced consumption, comparing our population to the poor farmers in N Korea and African bushman is unfair, because given the same standard of living, they will consume the same, if not more than us)

Furthermore, our greenhouse contribution in practical terms is not going to turn earth for the better nor worse.

Inviting controversy, arms race and tension with neighbours because we like to "save the planet" is simply an unreasonable excuse for the reasons given above.

In all, I think Ho Ching is crap to suggest that, and she failed to see the bigger picture( which i will be abhorredly horrified as chief of a hundred billion corporation) , unless we secretly desire to be a nuclear power like Israel

• Praise 1

(edited)

The idea is not new.  It was first brought up in 2010.

https://www.pmo.gov.sg/newsroom/speech-mr-lee-hsien-loong-prime-minister-singapore-international-energy-week-01-november

Then the Fukushima disaster happened a few months later in 2011.

I guess then the idea got KIV'ed. 

While I am not totally for or against the idea of nuclear, I guess I will be always mindful of the Four National Taps -  Local catchment, imported water, NeWater and Desalinated water.  

No prizes for knowing which is the tap that has always been an issue and that it would be turned off eventually and also,  the tap that is energy intensive.  I would say at the end of the day,  it will likely become three.

Perhaps majority of this generation would not see it,  but likely majority of the next generation would.  

Different people see things differently.  

Edited by Kklee
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

I am more worries that if we cant even contain mat nasi lemak in the detention cell, having a nuclear energy plant on a small tiny dot may not be the best idea. 

Unless you are saying, build it in one of the tiny island that we own where bird dont lay eggs. Than perhaps viable. 

Viable for pirates to come and ransake that is.

The risk as well as risk exposure to our neighbours is a real concern.

What does our neighbour say .

Have we consider their feelings ?

or

it doesn't matter ?

A radiation leak will affect the whole of Singapore and our immediate neighbors, even if the nuke plant is set up in a remote island.

I say no too. Too costly in consideration of the high risk and severity.

• Praise 5

(edited)

I am for this idea. But I am not sure pap is able to handle it. Nuclear is good. SG is a good place to run a nuclear plant if done properly and well , we have the $$$ to bring in th best and we hav no natural disasters. Limitless energy. If msia n indo want to do I will be worried.

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

The idea of making earth greener is a noble one, but my question is this:

Singapore is just one small dot in the entire world. Even if we are willing to put our nation at risk and go fully nuclearised, will we really make such a green impact to the world?

Sure, every small contribution counts, but the risk here far overweigh our green contributions to the planet.

Twincharged
(edited)

Just endure for say 10 to 20 yrs, I believe that next in line will be fusion power. This is so much safer then nuclear power.

Or Ho Ching should encourage those previously involved in the nuclear team to form a team to go in depth and research in fusion power. Better still find a breakthrough on making fusion power to be cost effective.

Edited by Yewheng

Human's perpetual search for longevity, be it lifespan or energy sustainability often lay waste to other natural resources by virtue of our greedy nature,relentless pursuit for $$$.

Often such initiatives bodes well for the elites but really does not benefit the common people and environment in the long run.

We have done too much, come this far and lopsided the ecosystem, depleting natural resources at unprecedented rate, and now we are trying to play God.

I have become so skeptical of each government's motive when they say they wanna do something good

Yes.

One needle see blood. 

If the government cannot fix a train system break down, they think they have the capacity to handle a nuclear melt down? 

Even my toes are laughing. 

Settle the MRT breakdowns first....

• Praise 1

IP_map_for_Riverkeeper_NRDC_550.png?toke

Fact:

Singapore is 31miles East to West and 17miles North to South.

Put the nuclear plant at Choa Chu Kang cemetary also no where is safe. 

is the opening up of electricity market anothing to do with this nuke idea? the drum stick and chicken theology? if so we are in deep shit

IP_map_for_Riverkeeper_NRDC_550.png?toke

Fact:

Singapore is 31miles East to West and 17miles North to South.

Put the nuclear plant at Choa Chu Kang cemetary also no where is safe.

Eh dun disturb my home

Undersea

Kaiju
↡ Advertisement