Ho Ching seriously considering nuclear plant in SG

Lethalstrike

(edited)

debatable topic, i believe the plant will not be built in the island but offshore.

Many country start to explore and some country has build them. With the new technology risk can be reduced to the lowest yet question is where to dump the nuclear waste. Don't think anyone will shoot the plant even for bigger threat like NK or Iran.

Nuclear energy is not new, do you think that the govt only exploring this now?

what is worrying is if our neighbours becomes unreasonable and cause issue with other nation, we unwittingly became a david and goliath issue.

I still think it will not happen till the next 2 generation.

Else this is just a distraction on opening the Gate to the 10 mil inhabitant on the red dot. 

Actually some those US aircraft carriers are nuclear powered right ??, so far not heard of any accidents and maybe they can generate the energy offshore , never know there may have been improvements , maybe HC is privy to some kind of new tech

thats a good idea. Recycle the warship when its phase out. Dock and tap power from the ship. Better still, use the outsource model and there can be no blame as its a contractor entity.

Edited by Sdf4786k
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Actually some those US aircraft carriers/ submarines are nuclear powered right ??, so far not heard of any accidents and maybe they can generate the energy offshore , never know there may have been improvements , maybe HC is privy to some kind of new tech

Got lah. Remember the Russian nuclear sub, Kursk? Because it's buried in the sea the casualties are confined to the sub's crew. There's no nuclear fallout as it's in the deep sea.

Their mention of fail safe could be none other than totally surrounded by the sea.

Using HC to make the announcement is a calculated move imo. Wont directly implicate the man in charge if something goes wrong. [laugh]

For those who are into full electric cars should support this.

Edited by Watwheels

Are you sure you are quoting the right 核? Not the other 何? :D :D

Joke aside, I for one are against nuclear plant in SG. No doubt the risk is low, but the consequences of having an even minor incident can be catastrophic.

For the safety of our and next generation, I say NO!

My fear is, what if one day Indonesia decides not to sell us the gas just like they suddenly decide not to sell us sand and granite. Of course we can buy from other sources, but we are always at a mercy on others.

For me, nuclear power is scary, but I guess, its better to be ready and activate it when we need to. Just like NewWater...

• Praise 1

Yeap I remember that one.... was kept in under wraps by the Russian govt, afraid to divulge news 'cos of spying on Norwegian coast line; anyways its more than 2-3 decades tech back then, maybe she has something up her sleeves  [laugh]

Got lah. Remember the Russian nuclear sub, Kursk? Because it's buried in the sea the casualties are confined to the sub's crew. There's no nuclear fallout as it's in the deep sea.

Their mention of fail safe could be none other than totally surrounded by the sea.

Using HC to make the announcement is a calculated move imo. Wont directly implicate the man in charge if something goes wrong. [laugh]

For those who are into full electric cars should support this.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Kursk accident had nothing to do with Nuclear propulsion. Similarly, for Chernobyl, it probably wouldn't have gone boom if ppl didn't meddle with it. Fukushima was the most unfortunate. An outdated design that was about to be phased out but stuck around enough to be hit by an Earthquate and a massive Tsumani at the same time.

Which is why to have a Nuclear plant, it has to be done properly with multiple levels of safety and no budget constraints in the design. No paper generals to be involved. Pay the best $$$ for the best ppl. AMDK.

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

Put the effort and investment to find cancer cure first bah......

most of the cancer come from daily activities, with or without the nuclear plant. 

Having said, we now can live till average of 85 which seem to me a bit long, i dun mind to have the plant and live 5 years shorter   [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

You do know that whenever those US carriers calls at our Naval Bases, the only contingency plan is just to have iodine tablets to protect our thyroid.... The gonads, skin, eyes, liver be damn...... 

Actually some those US aircraft carriers/ submarines are nuclear powered right ??, so far not heard of any accidents and maybe they can generate the energy offshore , never know there may have been improvements , maybe HC is privy to some kind of new tech

• Praise 1

The problem is the slow agonising death of cancers.... Not one of those quick painless death. 

most of the cancer come from daily activities, with or without the nuclear plant. 

Having said, we now can live till average of 85 which seem to me a bit long, i dun mind to have the plant and live 5 years shorter   [laugh]  [laugh]

There is some breakthrough in fusion power technology.. Just that it is still not feasible to be mass produce for everyday use. So just keep a look out for fusion power instead of nuclear power. That's what I feel.

huh no lah. Fusion is many many years away.

Maybe nowhere in our lifetimes.

Currently, it takes a freaking lot of power just to make momentary fusion. Much much more power required than even talking about potential generation.

I think a human will reach mars and start colony faster than we get to fusion power. The technical problems are still at the very fundamental steps.

• Praise 1

Kursk accident had nothing to do with Nuclear propulsion. Similarly, for Chernobyl, it probably wouldn't have gone boom if ppl didn't meddle with it. Fukushima was the most unfortunate. An outdated design that was about to be phased out but stuck around enough to be hit by an Earthquate and a massive Tsumani at the same time.

Which is why to have a Nuclear plant, it has to be done properly with multiple levels of safety and no budget constraints in the design. No paper generals to be involved. Pay the best $$$ for the best ppl. AMDK.

This is insightful info. Currently whose brains are most nuclear infused, for want of a word? Those from US or Israel or Japan?

I like the part where we can really, finally be independent and not be at the mercy of countries for basic needs.

However, what about nuclear waste? Make into mochi paste and send it on 1 way trip to the sun?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

If we go nuclear..... Indonesia and Malaysia will sure mount a damn strong objection never seen before since independence. Our government has no balls and verve to push it through. No worries there.

Maybe WP wins then have guts and balls..

Turbocharged

Think she watched too much Xmen Dark Phoenix and wants to be Ho Jean instead of Ho Ching...

Who wants to become a mutant please sarpork her..

Singapore is not self sustainable and will forever be at the mercy of others.

Try talking about food sustainability instead :)

My fear is, what if one day Indonesia decides not to sell us the gas just like they suddenly decide not to sell us sand and granite. Of course we can buy from other sources, but we are always at a mercy on others.

For me, nuclear power is scary, but I guess, its better to be ready and activate it when we need to. Just like NewWater...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1