37 flights delayed, one runway closed for 10 hours

kobayashiGT

(edited)

The flight kenna diverted to KL the passengers really must pui chao nua.

Must really catch the moron and whack the drone on his head.

I thought they have a way to bring these drones down?

Jam signal perhaps?

You dont know exactly at what frequency the drone is tune into. It's quite difficult. Plus there are many other signals being used in the airport for communications and other stuff. You dont want to jam the wrong one. It could cost lives.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The flight kenna diverted to KL the passengers really must pui chao nua.

Must really catch the moron and whack the drone on his head.

You dont know exactly at what frequency the drone is tune into. It's quite difficult. Plus there are many other signals being used in the airport for communications and other stuff. You dont want to jam the wrong one. It could cost lives.

Oh I see, I thought they were assigned a specific frequency range.

i suppose you were thinking 27MHz like all radio controlled cars use? [laugh]

Turbocharged

In the old days, radio control flight hobby used assigned frequencies, e.g. 29 MHz in SG, 40 MHz in UK, 72 MHz in USA, and so on. The frequencies were further subdivided with the use of crystals (an electronic component) installed that assigned each user a specific, narrow band, e.g. 29.xx MHz.

Those were the days when you see a long fishing rod antenna sticking out of the control box. And you could accidentally "shootdown" other people's model simply by switching on your radio control transmitter with the same frequency band. So there wasn't really an issue with such frequencies interfering with aircraft radios. Your model will be downed first.

Nowadays technology has switched to 2.4 GHz spread spectrum. Everyone can just switch on their transmitters and fly together at the same time. Higher frequencies = Shorter antenna, so the fishing rods were gone. 2.4 GHz will probably not cause any problem with aircraft signals, but the danger is more from the risk of collision with such models or ingestion into engines.

There was a time when FPV (first person video) signals used 1 GHz or thereabouts causing interference to aircraft communications that use 1030 MHz (aircraft transponders) and hence, the authorities were also on the lookout for such flyers. That went away when the technology migrated to higher freq (5.8 GHz??) for FPV - I am not FPV enthusiast so correct me if I am mistaken.

• Praise 3

ppl in our country like no hue the law already.

sad. :o

Too many foreigners already.

fg6av3839n921.jpg

drone must have COE and license plate. problem solved.

Haha! $ingapore style! Money solves everything! Lol
  • Praise 2

To be able to fly within airport grounds, the drone is not your off the shelf type of drone. It would be a self-assembled type. I do not understand these ppl, what so nice in disrupting airport operations. Now those terrorist know what to do liao. [dead]

• Praise 6

To be able to fly within airport grounds, the drone is not your off the shelf type of drone. It would be a self-assembled type. I do not understand these ppl, what so nice in disrupting airport operations. Now those terrorist know what to do liao. [dead]

How come off the shelf drones cannot fly within airport grounds?

How come off the shelf drones cannot fly within airport grounds?

Off the shelf drones like DJI have already hard coded several fail safes to prevent flight within airport operating areas. There’s almost no way to bypass this, and manufacturers voluntarily do this to avoid being banned from selling their products altogether.

Self assembled drones on the other hand do not have complex geopositioning systems and hence can fly wherever the operator wants.

• Praise 11

NUS undergrad? 2 strikes?  :D

For all you wish, later the drone flyer turn out to be late teen or early 20s student, very often will be given probationary only .
[laugh] Every "spa" sure have a few highly trained ones. Quick, mobilize them [laugh]

Off the shelf drones like DJI have already hard coded several fail safes to prevent flight within airport operating areas. Thereâs almost no way to bypass this, and manufacturers voluntarily do this to avoid being banned from selling their products altogether.

Self assembled drones on the other hand do not have complex geopositioning systems and hence can fly wherever the operator wants.

Thanks. Not a drone person

So all retail drones have build in GPS modules?

Does this mean i can program the drone to fly to a specific GPS co-ordinate point without manually controlling it?

Thanks. Not a drone person

Does this mean i can program the drone to fly to a specific GPS co-ordinate point without manually controlling it?

Not all. Hobby grade, yes. Toy grade, no.

Not all. Hobby grade, yes. Toy grade, no.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1