Can you jump start a car with an EV?

Ysc3

Twincharged
(edited)

Can you jump start a car with an EV?

While it’s possible to jump start a car using an electric vehicle, it’s highly recommended that you don’t.

Electric cars feature two batteries: a large lithium-ion unit for the electric motors and a 12-volt battery for the accessories. This second battery is similar to the lead-acid battery found in petrol and diesel cars and it ensures the main lithium-ion battery can be charged.

However, the 12-volt battery in an electric car lacks the punch required to crank an internal combustion engine and you risk damaging it if you attempt to jump start another vehicle.

The RAC is pretty conclusive on the matter, urging motorists to “avoid using a hybrid electric car [for jump starting] as this could cause damage”.

Similarly, many manufacturers advise EV owners against jump starting conventional vehicles. In the handbook for the electric Leaf, Nissan states that it “cannot be used as a booster vehicle because it cannot supply enough power to start a [petrol] engine”.

However, it does go on to say that a conventional engine “can be used to jump start [the] Leaf’s 12-volt battery”.

‘Risk of damage’

In the handbook for the Renault Zoe, you’ll find the following warning: “Do not use your electric vehicle to restart the 12-volt battery in another vehicle. The 12-volt electric power of an electric vehicle is not enough to perform such an operation. Risk of damage to vehicle.”

This could extend to unnecessary stress on the 12-volt battery, damage to the DC-to-DC converter, and confusion of the software that monitors the battery.

The internet is awash with examples of EV owners jump starting conventional cars, and some owners might risk it in an emergency, but it’s not recommended.

While it’s far from conclusive, a section in the handbook for the Tesla Model S suggests you might invalidate your warranty by jump starting another vehicle. It states: “Do not use the battery as a stationary power source. Doing so voids the warranty.”

However, there is some good news. Other electric vehicles can be jump-started – you just need to locate the battery. Also, you can indirectly charge a conventional car by using a charger that’s charged using the EV’s 12-volt DC outlet. There are plenty of options available online.

Edited by Ysc3
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

how about hybrid cars? can hybrid cars still be able to jump start?

actually hybrid car use both electric and petrol. if the hybrid battery fail can hybrid rely just on petrol function to continue to drive as per normal?

• Praise 1

Supersonic

actually hybrid car use both electric and petrol. if the hybrid battery fail can hybrid rely just on petrol function to continue to drive as per normal?

Many hybrid cars that I see, usually has a small battery around 35AH. This is enough to jump start a regular petrol engine.

However, does this damage the hybrid in anyway, due to the computers, DC-DC generators, etc..?

It's a big question mark.

Even for regular petrol engine to petrol engine jump starting, I'd advise you not to turn on (ignition off, key not inserted) the "donor" car, to isolate its computers from the car being helped.

Conversely, it's easy to jump start a hybrid car.

Try to jump start a Toyota hybrid takes a bit more searching. It is hidden. [laugh]

• Praise 1

Twincharged

My personal advice is NOT to jump start a car the conventional way.

I did when asked to; resulted in frying a few of my security electronic components which cost me above $5000.

Today I bought a jump starter battery pack. If some drivers needed to jump start, I just offer my battery pack.

Today there is too much electronic in our cars. 

• Praise 8

My personal advice is NOT to jump start a car the conventional way.

I did when asked to; resulted in frying a few of my security electronic components which cost me above $5000.

Today I bought a jump starter battery pack. If some drivers needed to jump start, I just offer my battery pack.

Today there is too much electronic in our cars. 

7 years ago , i helped a friend jump start her car . Started and all was good. The next day , my batt dead . 

[furious]

• Praise 6

Twincharged

7 years ago , i helped a friend jump start her car . Started and all was good. The next day , my batt dead . 

[furious]

Nobody ask you to charge the vibrators in the boot.

• Praise 8

(edited)

she need a hard shake up  :XD:

next time call me...me got solar power one  :yeah-im-not-drunk:

dynamo one for night duties  :grin:

Edited by Pohhenry
  • Praise 3

Twincharged
(edited)

post-14834-0-01368700-1561302854_thumb.jpeg

Someone just drove Honda shuttle hybrid till hybrid battery totally flat. And result is car cannot move at all, no matter how hard the accelerator is pressed, car is stationary. Need to charge back up hybrid battery before car is able to move. Hope this answer your question.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

attachicon.gifreceived_461638197965283.jpeg

Someone just drove Honda shuttle hybrid till hybrid battery totally flat. And result is car cannot move at all, no matter how hard the accelerator is pressed, car is stationary. Need to charge back up hybrid battery before car is able to move. Hope this answer your question.

thanks for the info. i thought the hybrid battery is charging when driving? how come can run flat like this? the hybrid battery is leaking causing the battery to go flat?

Twincharged
(edited)

thanks for the info. i thought the hybrid battery is charging when driving? how come can run flat like this? the hybrid battery is leaking causing the battery to go flat?

For Honda shuttle/grace/vezel/fit hybrid. There is 1 flaw. Which is there is possibility that the hybrid battery used up faster then the engine and or kinetic energy able to charge the battery up. This is common, but because most of the time it happened for just a brief period of time. So 95% of the time will not come to the stage of showing japanese word with the battery bar. Once the Japanese word with the battery bar come out means the hybrid battery is less then 1 bar already. I encountered it 3 times in my driving. All happened when I stuck in the jam in custom causeway to jb. However mine is not totally flat, meaning I still have a little bit bar left to play with.

So that's what I found out how it happened and things to do to prevent it happen in 1st place.

Constantly monitor the hybrid battery when stuck in the jam especially when the traffic is very slow moving for very long. If battery bar keep dropping for quite long period of time where the car keep creeping forward, but do not have enough time for hybrid battery to charge up faster then being used up. Change the driving style to creep stop creep stop. Stop is to let the engine start up to be able to charge up the battery and then move forward again. Although that will cause other car to be able to cut queue. This is better then let the battery bar deplete totally zero that is not good for hybrid battery at all. Always try to maintain 2 bar and above.

When hybrid battery drop to 1 bar, you could feel car suddenly felt lost of power, car felt draggy in changing gear. This is a telltale sign to quickly look at how much hybrid battery is left, you will most likely see 1 bar left. If it continue to drop below 1 bar, beside the Japanese word come out and also the symptoms as above, you will also encounter aircon now blow hot air. If continue let it drop till totally zero, then car stops, totally cannot move already. Have to wait for engine to kick in to charge it up before it can start moving.

BTW anyone able to translate these Japanese word and let us know here? I Google translate and it says battery low, performance is affected.

Edited by Yewheng

attachicon.gifreceived_461638197965283.jpeg

How is it possible? Did the driver hit the EV mode and not realised it?

• Praise 1

If I'm not wrong drivers dont understand their hybrid cars bought from PI simply due to the Japanese language display on their dash. Like let's say the dash displays a warning error saying the inverter is overheating. Telling the driver to stop. But does the driver find a safe place to stop or continue driving?

The lack of understanding may lead to undesireable consequences. And I see so many of the jdm hybrid cars on the road. By the time the drivers understand what is going on in the repair shop it may be too late and too costly. How to deal with the PI or their affiliated workshops in this kind of situation?

For Honda shuttle/grace/vezel/fit hybrid. There is 1 flaw. Which is there is possibility that the hybrid battery used up faster then the engine and or kinetic energy able to charge the battery up. This is common, but because most of the time it happened for just a brief period of time. So 95% of the time will not come to the stage of showing japanese word with the battery bar. Once the Japanese word with the battery bar come out means the hybrid battery is less then 1 bar already. I encountered it 3 times in my driving. All happened when I stuck in the jam in custom causeway to jb. However mine is not totally flat, meaning I still have a little bit bar left to play with.

So that's what I found out how it happened and things to do to prevent it happen in 1st place.

Constantly monitor the hybrid battery when stuck in the jam especially when the traffic is very slow moving for very long. If battery bar keep dropping for quite long period of time where the car keep creeping forward, but do not have enough time for hybrid battery to charge up faster then being used up. Change the driving style to creep stop creep stop. Stop is to let the engine start up to be able to charge up the battery and then move forward again. Although that will cause other car to be able to cut queue. This is better then let the battery bar deplete totally zero that is not good for hybrid battery at all. Always try to maintain 2 bar and above.

When hybrid battery drop to 1 bar, you could feel car suddenly felt lost of power, car felt draggy in changing gear. This is a telltale sign to quickly look at how much hybrid battery is left, you will most likely see 1 bar left. If it continue to drop below 1 bar, beside the Japanese word come out and also the symptoms as above, you will also encounter aircon now blow hot air. If continue let it drop till totally zero, then car stops, totally cannot move already. Have to wait for engine to kick in to charge it up before it can start moving.

BTW anyone able to translate these Japanese word and let us know here? I Google translate and it says battery low, performance is affected.

This is interesting, I thought hybrid should still be able to move with petrol fuel alone but at a more sluggish manner without having the power from the electric motor.
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

This is interesting, I thought hybrid should still be able to move with petrol fuel alone but at a more sluggish manner without having the power from the electric motor.

Don't know this is what is shared with me from one of the guy from Honda shuttle facebook page. He drove till totally deplete hybrid battery. So he get to tell the story.

And since Honda vezel, grace, fit all use the same hybrid system as shuttle hybrid. So it will behave the same way too.

post-14834-0-49025400-1561348084_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yewheng

Supersonic

Drove a (rental) Grace once for 2 weeks. Didn't face any problem, except the power delivery is jerky.

Twincharged
(edited)

Drove a (rental) Grace once for 2 weeks. Didn't face any problem, except the power delivery is jerky.

This will seldom happen, % of it happening is very low. To make it for hybrid battery to drop below 1 bar is to constantly maintain very light pressure in accelerator for a long time. That is the reason why all 3 times that happened to me the hybrid battery drop below 1 bar is in the causeway jam. The guy who message me about his experience to hybrid battery get depleted completely also happened when he was stuck in causeway jam. So yeah.. Just try best not to creep at slow speed constantly for too long. If need be creep stop and let the battery charge a bit and then creep and repeat this process. This is to ensure the hybrid battery will not drop below 1 bar. Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement