Liverpool Football Club - It is time to end the 30 year wait

Akula

23 hours ago, Shorty said:

the should hv postponed all ucl games earlier. 

Ya man.... UCL can help to import coronavirus across major european cities. Some European countries are already closing borders and some closing schools.

↡ Advertisement

16 minutes ago, Raymondism said:

They can still do coin toss to play out all the games... if they do that, we have good chance to win 2 more games out of remaining ones... not sure if they will do that though

Penalty shoot out not difficult to arrange right? Maybe keeper to keeper only for five shots each if too wary about infection.

Ali! Ali!! Ali!!! 

oh wait...Ali can shoot or not? 

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Akula said:

Following their win at Anfield, Atletico Madrid have addressed Liverpool on Twitter with a message which is nothing but pure class.

"It was an honour to face such an exceptional side at a legendary stadium, LFC," the tweet read.

"The atmosphere at Anfield was incredible. Best of luck in the Premier League."

I would think that desperate the their antics, they had a game plan, stuck to it and aid by some clinical finishing and good goalkeeping (both theirs, not ours), prevailed over us. To be able to beat us both home and away is no mean feat.

I think they performed better than us... i felt that the boys deserved more after going 2-1 up in extra time and they lost due to a bad choice by one player.  

AM had a game plan and they sticked to it and the only advantage they had was the underdog tag and the away goal rule if they score. After Firminho scored our second, they came out to press and got what they want... a mistake from us. Pple say they came to Anfield to defend. It would be crazy to play open attacking soccer at Anfield to test our high press credentials. I just wonder why Klopp only made the subs so much later. Maybe he too doesnt believe we can nick it in 90min? 

• Praise 1

I think JK in a presser mentioned something like “I just don’t get it” twice about his players...maybe they didn’t adhered to his instruction...

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Penalty shoot out not difficult to arrange right? Maybe keeper to keeper only for five shots each if too wary about infection.

Ali! Ali!! Ali!!! 

oh wait...Ali can shoot or not? 

Haha i am sure they need to disinfect the entire stadium including the field if they heed Singapore's advice. 

Not sure about precedence on such penalty shootouts but coin toss is legi. I remember in 1990 world cup group matches, Ireland and Holland use coin toss to determine 2nd and 3rd position. 

Anyway, the loss to AM is nothing if there is no league winner declared for this season (assuming no league matches to be played this season).

• Praise 1

16 minutes ago, Raymondism said:

Haha i am sure they need to disinfect the entire stadium including the field if they heed Singapore's advice. 

Not sure about precedence on such penalty shootouts but coin toss is legi. I remember in 1990 world cup group matches, Ireland and Holland use coin toss to determine 2nd and 3rd position. 

Anyway, the loss to AM is nothing if there is no league winner declared for this season (assuming no league matches to be played this season).

Yah man 

just hand over the league trophy and call it the season everyone happy can go summer break early. 

• Haha! 1

22 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

I think JK in a presser mentioned something like “I just don’t get it” twice about his players...maybe they didn’t adhered to his instruction...

Maybe complacency... after Firminho scores, everyone (except AM players) probably felt that the game and match are settled.

I too expected the boys to perform a retrograde action (by transiting to 4-3-2-1 then 5-4-1). The thing about high press is you want the ball to be in opponent half. When the ball was gifted to AM deep in our half, our front guards are rendered useless. Adrian was probably trying to hit it upfield towards right wing where Salah was. Maybe he was leaning forward and the ball just did not lift off the ground. 

Just watched the replay for the 1st time since that morning. 

TAA could have take down Llorente for a yellow card. His positioning was also wrong... he was on the outside of the player and he did not attempt to block Llorente's shot. His back pass to Adrian was the right decision though. 

Edited by Raymondism
  • Praise 1

Just now, mersaylee said:

Yah man 

just hand over the league trophy and call it the season everyone happy can go summer break early. 

Think most club will find it hard to vote against giving us the trophy. But they can cite other factors like how to decide the other 19 positions, who qualifies for UCL, Europa and relegation, etc. The easier way is to void the whole season and re-start everything next season as per beginning of this season. 

Turbocharged

i dun expect pool to retain the ucl this season... not cos we no good. this season, bpl worse than psg.. no competition. pool have no practice seeing our games. in fact last season, we were pretty good at it.

if we dun get the bpl title this season, we are officially the most unlucky team in the whole world. i have the feeling this team peak is primed to peak in calendar year 2019.. look at the results. A team cannot be forever at its peak.. this is our best chance already 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
26 minutes ago, Raymondism said:

Think most club will find it hard to vote against giving us the trophy. But they can cite other factors like how to decide the other 19 positions, who qualifies for UCL, Europa and relegation, etc. The easier way is to void the whole season and re-start everything next season as per beginning of this season. 

ucl places is one.. the bigger ones are relagation. and the championship promotion + the richest game in world football (chamionship playoffs winner)

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Raymondism said:

Maybe complacency... after Firminho scores, everyone (except AM players) probably felt that the game and match are settled.

I too expected the boys to perform a retrograde action (by transiting to 4-3-2-1 then 5-4-1). The thing about high press is you want the ball to be in opponent half. When the ball was gifted to AM deep in our half, our front guards are rendered useless. Adrian was probably trying to hit it upfield towards right wing where Salah was. Maybe he was leaning forward and the ball just did not lift off the ground. 

Just watched the replay for the 1st time since that morning. 

TAA could have take down Llorente for a yellow card. His positioning was also wrong... he was on the outside of the player and he did not attempt to block Llorente's shot. His back pass to Adrian was the right decision though. 

Adrian should pass to Milner who was alone on the left side...fatigue caused lapses I guess...he kinda jelly legs including the next concedes goal right after that bad pass...

• Praise 1

28 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Adrian should pass to Milner who was alone on the left side...fatigue caused lapses I guess...he kinda jelly legs including the next concedes goal right after that bad pass...

Ya the safest choice will be to pass to Milner on the left. However, we might not know whether there were instructions to hit long to the wings after we are leading. 

I say this because Adrian, being a goalie and has lotsa time, should play safe by trapping the ball before making a pass. This would prevent any miskick or kick the air incident... he can also invite the attackers to move closer before sending it up. The only reason i can think of is he wants to make use of the momentum of a rolling ball to hit it high and far. Its easier to send it far if the ball is rolling towards the kicker.

Anyway saw many bad practices when we hit back passes to goalie, i was taught to pass back in such a way that if the goalie missed the ball completely, the ball should go out of play instead of end up in goal. Maybe the pros think differently. 

Edited by Raymondism
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Vegas said:

i dun expect pool to retain the ucl this season... not cos we no good. this season, bpl worse than psg.. no competition. pool have no practice seeing our games. in fact last season, we were pretty good at it.

if we dun get the bpl title this season, we are officially the most unlucky team in the whole world. i have the feeling this team peak is primed to peak in calendar year 2019.. look at the results. A team cannot be forever at its peak.. this is our best chance already 

Ya regardless of what happen this season, time to refresh our first team... 

• Praise 1

Korea drive in test can tell if a person has the virus in just 3 hours.

Football clubs should test all staff and players and isolate the infected ones.

All cleared players should just carry on with games.

:grin:

image.png.1c23f010e633a7e28cc94881ba340658.png

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
7 hours ago, Akula said:

Got this off the web. Sort of sums up all the various considerations and permutations ;

Liverpool are still likely to be crowned Premier League champions, even if the coronavirus crisis causes the season to be abandoned amid mounting fears it would be ­ impossible to complete it this summer.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport last month, there is no regulation governing what happens if the 2019-20 campaign is curtailed. But a senior club executive revealed on Friday night that there was little ­opposition to awarding Jurgen Klopp’s men their first English title for 30 years following what threatened to be the longest suspension of the professional game since the Second World War.

Leaders Liverpool are 25 points clear of second-placed Manchester City and two more victories for the Anfield club will give them the title. Such is the gap that there is no appetite among their rivals to deny them the crown.

The coronavirus hiatus is in danger of plunging football in England into anarchy, with governing bodies and clubs desperately trying to devise ways to avoid the unprecedented meltdown that could ensue if Government projections over the spread of the deadly disease prove correct.

On a day when more sport fell by the wayside, including the London Marathon, the Masters, Wales’s Six Nations match with Scotland, England’s cricket tour of Sri Lanka, the start of the Formula One season, and the Giro d’Italia, one senior figure at a Premier League team told Telegraph Sport: “There is so much more at stake. There is a focus on whether Liverpool will be champions, but that will be an irrelevance in the scheme of things. There is an intent we will recommence, but will that be possible?”

The Premier League had devised a plan in which the season would finish on schedule provided it resumed on April 3. That was the date to which it, the English Football League and Football Association agreed to suspend the men’s and women’s professional game following crisis talks on Friday. But with the virus forcing seven Premier League clubs yesterday to put players into isolation and the disease not forecast to peak until May or June, an April resumption appeared optimistic in the extreme.

FA chairman Greg Clarke told Premier League clubs it was not “feasible” to expect their remaining matches to be played, while another senior figure told Telegraph Sport: “You tell me whether you think there’s the remotest possibility that anything in the science is going to tell us that it’s going to be safer to play on April 3 than now.”

This summer’s European Championship is expected to be postponed at an emergency meeting of European football stakeholders on Tuesday in order to allow the club season to continue into June and July – and potentially even beyond.

The same senior figure raised the prospect of the calendar being ­redrawn to dovetail with the next World Cup in Qatar, the switch of which to the winter of 2022 had ­already been accommodated by the game.

“One scenario could be that you just work backwards from it and you say, ‘Why don’t we have a calendar season in 2022 and a calendar season in 2021 and we play the rest of this season in October?’” he said.

But many players will be out of contract on June 30 and will also have lost match fitness, raising major questions about the integrity of competitions.

Calling a halt to the season would be no less chaotic. That has resulted in discussions taking place inside some Premier League teams over proposals that could be put forward if the season could not be played to a conclusion. One would be to void the season, but there is an acceptance that would cause many of its own problems with Liverpool so close to winning the ­title.

There would also be the issues of relegation and promotion from the Championship, together with Champions League qualification, which carry huge financial implications for the clubs involved.

One proposal that could be made would be for the top two in the Championship, currently Leeds and West Brom, to be promoted and for 22 teams to compete in next season’s Premier League. The EFL Cup would be postponed for one year to allow extra space in the fixture list and five clubs, instead of three, would be relegated at the end of the season.

One suggestion regarding Champions League qualification would be to allow the teams who qualified for this season’s tournament to keep their places next season and then ­enter any additional sides currently in qualification positions into an ­expanded qualifying phase.

That would mean third-placed Leicester going into a qualifying round for the Champions League, with Liverpool, Manchester City – subject to the Court of Arbitration for Sport hearing – Chelsea and Tottenham holding on to their places in the tournament. But Manchester United, Wolves and Sheffield United, who are all above seventh-placed Spurs, would no doubt object to this.

Christian Purslow, the Aston Villa chief executive, attended Friday's emergency meeting of the  Premier League. Asked if he thought the current season will be completed, he ­replied: “We have no idea. Let’s hope so.”

Failure to do so would in turn jeopardise billions of pounds in television money, with Premier League chief executive Richard Masters having already stressed to clubs in an email on Thursday night that “contractual commitments” needed to be taken into consideration.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport, it would also risk sending EFL clubs – who depend on match-day ­revenue – out of business. That might be one reason why the non-League game did not follow the lead of its professional counterpart yesterday by calling off matches.

I give a simple solution:

EPL : Just crown Pool as champion because of the  super wide points gap. Suspend the league until the new season begins in Aug 2020.  Whatever position now for other teams will be their final position for this season. No demotion, only promotions. So next season will have more teams in EPL. 

Champions league : Suspend until new season.  Pool will still be the defending champions going into the new season which will be based on the current table standing for every Europe major league.  Whatever games played so far this season  is null and void.....:grin:

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

EPL & the league below, Championships should  continue the remaining 4-6 games so that clubs can fight for UCL/Europa place, fight to avoid relegation and the lower can fight for promotion. 

All cups games to be cancelled the calendar or COVID-19 situation doesn’t allow so many games to be played. 

Think some smaller clubs will go into financial problem if the league end now cos of lost of income from tickets & prorated refund of season tickets. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
5 hours ago, Icedbs said:

I give a simple solution:

EPL : Just crown Pool as champion because of the  super wide points gap. Suspend the league until the new season begins in Aug 2020.  Whatever position now for other teams will be their final position for this season. No demotion, only promotions. So next season will have more teams in EPL. 

Champions league : Suspend until new season.  Pool will still be the defending champions going into the new season which will be based on the current table standing for every Europe major league.  Whatever games played so far this season  is null and void.....:grin:

Various scenarios/possible options can be considered :- 😆

1. No EPL relegations but promote 2 top championship clubs ie total 22 teams next season for which 5 teams will be relegated. LFC crowned EPL champion. No Carabao cup to facilitate more matches next season.

2. Based on current table, bottom 2 EPL team relegated and 2 top Championship teams promoted. 17th place EPL team play with 3rd placed Championship side with winner going to EPL. LFC crowned EPL champion.

3. Suspend season and play the remaining games over first half next year. once winners and losers confirm, the remaining season will play purely epl games only. No Carabao and FA cups. Champions League same as EPL but maybe have to come up with a totally radical format??

4. Treat this season as null and void and reboot everything next season. LFC missed out being crowned EPL champion - just no such luck - lol

5. The unthinkable happens - the Covid-19 virus situation continues through the 2020/2021 season without respite (slim chance by then a vaccine should be available?) FA of England suggest Sep 2020 earliest timeline - haha

Anyone with any other alternative ideas are welcomed

Just my rambling drunken sailor thoughts.....:a-toast:

• Praise 5

Turbocharged
34 minutes ago, cashcow said:

Various scenarios/possible options can be considered :- 😆

1. No EPL relegations but promote 2 top championship clubs ie total 22 teams next season for which 5 teams will be relegated. LFC crowned EPL champion. No Carabao cup to facilitate more matches next season.

2. Based on current table, bottom 2 EPL team relegated and 2 top Championship teams promoted. 17th place EPL team play with 3rd placed Championship side with winner going to EPL. LFC crowned EPL champion.

3. Suspend season and play the remaining games over first half next year. once winners and losers confirm, the remaining season will play purely epl games only. No Carabao and FA cups. Champions League same as EPL but maybe have to come up with a totally radical format??

4. Treat this season as null and void and reboot everything next season. LFC missed out being crowned EPL champion - just no such luck - lol

5. The unthinkable happens - the Covid-19 virus situation continues through the 2020/2021 season without respite (slim chance by then a vaccine should be available?) FA of England suggest Sep 2020 earliest timeline - haha

Anyone with any other alternative ideas are welcomed

Just my rambling drunken sailor thoughts.....:a-toast:

May want to add

3A. No more matches just direct penalty shootout for the remaining games behind closed doors to decide the final positions for this season - although this may seems far fetched.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3