Liverpool Football Club - It is time to end the 30 year wait

Akula

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/heroic-hillsborough-survivor-dave-roland-072724006.html

Heroic Hillsborough survivor Dave Roland dies after contracting coronavirus

Dave Roland, pictured as a 34-year-old at Hillsborough in the aftermath of the disaster: PA

Tributes have been paid to a “proud Scouser” survivor of the Hillsborough disaster who died after contracting coronavirus.

Dave Roland, 65, died last week at the Royal Liverpool Hospital days before the 31st anniversary of the fateful day. 

The then 34-year-old was captured in a defining image from the tragedy, sat with his head in his hands on Leppings Lane terrace after trying to save a teenager from the crush.

Paying tribute, his daughter Michelle Hopwood described Dave as “youthful, unique, kind-hearted and fun”. 

Overcrowding at Hillsborough stadium at an FA Cup semi-final match in 1989 claimed 96 lives (PA)

She said: "He was the ultimate Peter Pan which helped form a joyful bond with his grandchildren, always turning up in daft hats and glasses, playing board games or being competitive telling them he could do anything because he was ‘the best’ at whatever the topic of conversation was.

"He beamed with pride when he attended events that his grandchildren were participating in and loved to take photographs to show them off. He was known for being kind and generous to a fault."

Dave escaped the overcrowding at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest and fought to save the life of Henry Rogers, 17, after finding him on the pitch, but he died along with 95 others.

Giving evidence at the inquests into the disaster, where jurors ruled the victims were unlawfully killed, he said: "I always remember the blazing sunshine shining down on him, so John had him in his arms and I had hold of his hand... He just went lifeless and we got pulled away.”

Michelle told the Liverpool Echo that her dad's last words to her were "I Love You".

She said he was rushed to hospital after collapsing, despite having shown no prior symptoms. He fought Covid-19 for a short period before his death on April 6. 

She praised NHS staff for caring for him "with pride, professionalism, calmness and compassion.”

Dave Roland fought to save the life of a teenager at the match (PA)

Nurses even played his favourite songs to the avid Bowie fan on their phones as he received treatment.

She recalled that Dave and his friend John who rushed to help tragic Henry visited the boy’s parents after tracing a picture of him from a newspaper, and told them he was not alone when he died. 

Dave attended his funeral and gave evidence at the Hillsborough Inquiry. 

His family believe he found the anguish too great to admit the image outside Leppings Lane terrace on April 15, 1989, was him.

Reflecting on his life, and the impact of Hillsborough on it, Michelle said: "People pass comments on how tragic his life was as a result of the disaster, which it was, however dad went on to live a full life and always had a smile on his face, always full of witty one-liners, borderline inappropriate jokes and bad dad jokes.

"Dad was always seeking something after Hillsborough which I believe he only found at the end of his life – peace.”

• Sad 3

17 minutes ago, Davidklt said:

I am experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms. Life is not the same without football !

Agree. 

I usually listen to UK sports radio station..now they sports gossip, etc...nothing to announce 🙂 

Turbocharged

Covid-19 superhero powered by hatred of Liverpool pulled by Singapore government

A team of superheroes introduced by the government of Singapore to raise public awareness of coronavirus measures has had to be pulled after offending football supporters.

The characters, dubbed the ‘Virus Vanguard’, were supposed to inform people about the protocols put in place during the Covid-19 pandemic.

They were, however, to spark controversy once it was revealed that one of the heroes, MAWA Man, was powered by a hatred of Liverpool Football Club.

MAWA stood for ‘Must Always Walk Alone’, a play on the words of the Reds’ famous anthem ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’.

MAWA Man was charged with the task of enforcing social distancing rules and had a Liver bird on his chest with a line through it.

His belt featured a pitchfork similar to that which appears on the club crest of Liverpool’s arch-rivals Manchester United.

A petition was quickly set up on change.org against the characters and attracted over 500 signatures.

It read: “The Liverpool supporters in Singapore unanimously condemn the character MAWA Man and request for it to be withdrawn from this campaign.”

The Singapore government is now reviewing the campaign after taking the decision to withdraw it in its current form.

“We are sorry if we offended anyone,” a statement read on the government Facebook page.

“As this is the first time we are exploring this content format, we appreciate your patience.”

Other characters in the Virus Vanguard included “Fake News Buster”, a superhero who “wields the Mallet of Truth”, and “Dr Disinfector”, who was shrunk to the size of a micro-organism in a failed experiment and “unwittingly flushed” down the toilet by her colleagues.

It remains to be seen whether the superheroes return in a slightly tweaked form.

The football community is also waiting to discover whether it will be cleared to resume competitive action at some stage in the near future.

Plans are being pieced together to get the Chinese Super League underway, but divisions in Europe remain some way off that point.

That means that Liverpool, who are sat 25 points clear at the top of the Premier League table, are sweating on a climax to the 2019-20 campaign and confirmation of their first title triumph in 30 years.

Source

image.png.d8c389959bbb94b8b162195d978b01c1.png

Edited by cashcow
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged

Liverpool very strongly linked to Timo Werner n Willian of Chelsea. 

Karius back from his loan at a Turkey n will most prob head to Wolves for another loan next season. 

Germany re-starting their league. Template could be used to re-start the various leagues in Europe. 

• Praise 4

On 4/24/2020 at 12:41 PM, Akula said:

Liverpool very strongly linked to Timo Werner n Willian of Chelsea. 

Karius back from his loan at a Turkey n will most prob head to Wolves for another loan next season. 

Germany re-starting their league. Template could be used to re-start the various leagues in Europe. 

Werner i can understand... 

Willian... not sure the rationale behind signing a 31yr old who is looking for high wages and at least a 3 yr contract... when we have Minamino (not ready?) , Shaqiri (injuries? Tactical discipline?), Harvey Elliot (not ready?), Harry Wilson (not good enough?) all waiting at the wings... or maybe we are ready to unleash Elliot (and need Willian as cover)?

• Praise 2

I half-expect the likes of Origi and Shariqi to leave this summer. I think it is clear that they are not good enough to challenge the front 3 nor to step in whenever one of the 3 are down.  so, no pt for them to hang around for too long. Both not getting younger so at some pt and question is whether they are happy sitting on the bench for next season.  

I think klopp may have deep plans to refresh the frontline next season... at least for the squad players pushing into the 1st team. Hence these rumours of Timo Wegner and Willian. I think if they get Willian, it will be because he is on a free transfer and happy to play as a squad player for the entire contract.  The other part is that at some point, the front 3 may eventually want to move on too. so, it is a huge gap to fill if anyone of them decides to move on. 

In the middle of the park, Gini has still yet to agree to a contract extension and the contract is up after next season. this is abit worrying but he being one of the oldest players, may be keen to move on or secure a longer term contract. Not sure if that is on the table.  he won't be happy playing as a squad player for sure.  

Lovren will likely be moved on and Klopp may have to buy another CB. 

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

'Liverpool' among most popular passwords guessed by hackers in UK

:grin:

No one can guess mine

Ilikesex696969

• Haha! 5

Hypersonic

A lot of rumours Pool going for Kalidou Koulibaly.

Napoli wants Lovren and we can part exchange him and 50 million.

For teams that park the bus Pool can play 3 4 3.

3 CB of Gomez, VVD and Koulibaly.

Midfield diamond of TAA and Robbo as wing backs and Hendo as DM and Firmino as tip of the spear

Forward line of Mane, Timo and Salah.

What a line up.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Supercharged
15 hours ago, Jamesc said:

A lot of rumours Pool going for Kalidou Koulibaly.

Napoli wants Lovren and we can part exchange him and 50 million.

For teams that park the bus Pool can play 3 4 3.

3 CB of Gomez, VVD and Koulibaly.

Midfield diamond of TAA and Robbo as wing backs and Hendo as DM and Firmino as tip of the spear

Forward line of Mane, Timo and Salah.

What a line up.

Koulibaly is undoubtedly a very good player and probably worth the monies. Just that his age is pretty mature at 28 years so his utility may be only for the 3-4 years time frame.  

If Pool gets him, it is clear signal that the owners want to build a team to dominate for the next 3 years at the minimum. Pool would have the CB pairing that will definitely be the best in club football, on this planet.  Just that I am concerned if the likes of Matip and Gomez will find their playing time more limited. 

If Timo Wegner also joins, then the owners are definitely making their intentions clear.  I expect Shariqi and Origi to be sold to fund this purchase (~ 50m).  The 5 forwards including Timo and Taki, should be sufficient for the longer term future of the attacking lineup. Timo can play any of the front 3 forward position hence if any of these 3 decides to turn their head and leave, the impact will be cushioned as Timo is available to slot in seamlessly, in theory.  

The middle of park is where there are less media on potential movements. I am a bit concerned over Gini as he may be moved on as he is entering the last year of contract without any real extension talks.  Milner is getting older and hence can't be playing in the starting 11 most games.  Ox and Keita are in and out of the squad thru injuries and in tight games, you would normally play Gini cos his workrate and versatility.   

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 5/5/2020 at 3:03 PM, Fooblack said:

Koulibaly is undoubtedly a very good player and probably worth the monies. Just that his age is pretty mature at 28 years so his utility may be only for the 3-4 years time frame.  

If Pool gets him, it is clear signal that the owners want to build a team to dominate for the next 3 years at the minimum. Pool would have the CB pairing that will definitely be the best in club football, on this planet.  Just that I am concerned if the likes of Matip and Gomez will find their playing time more limited. 

If Timo Wegner also joins, then the owners are definitely making their intentions clear.  I expect Shariqi and Origi to be sold to fund this purchase (~ 50m).  The 5 forwards including Timo and Taki, should be sufficient for the longer term future of the attacking lineup. Timo can play any of the front 3 forward position hence if any of these 3 decides to turn their head and leave, the impact will be cushioned as Timo is available to slot in seamlessly, in theory.  

The middle of park is where there are less media on potential movements. I am a bit concerned over Gini as he may be moved on as he is entering the last year of contract without any real extension talks.  Milner is getting older and hence can't be playing in the starting 11 most games.  Ox and Keita are in and out of the squad thru injuries and in tight games, you would normally play Gini cos his workrate and versatility.   

I think the plan is to have 3 first choice CBs and sell Lovren and/or Matip and use the kids as back ups. Klopp is very keen to always keep giving opportunities to the reserves.

Koulibaly is very good friends with Mane and Napoli wants Lovren and willing to pay 20m euros taking the price down to 70 million euros.

I also read rumours that Napoli is also very keen on Matip and that could be another 30 million euros and then Kloop will go after Domagoj Vida.

He is available for 30 million euros and at 31 will be fourth choice like a Klavan.

I guess if corona affects the club's finances then Pool might just sell Lovren and get Vida instead of Koulibaly.

Ironically Vida is actually very good friends with Lorven who could replace him and take his place.

I think you are spot on about Werner and selling Shariqi and Origi.

The delay is Werner has clause in his contract that says if his team does not win the German League his price will be 10m euros less and he will be available for just 44m pounds and Michael Edwards knows all about this saving Pool even more money.

So if we sell Shariqi and Origi that will pay for Werner

and if we sell Matip and Lovren then 20m euos gets us Koulibaly.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 3

Hypersonic
On 5/5/2020 at 3:03 PM, Fooblack said:

I think the plan is to have 3 first choice CBs and sell Lovren and/or Matip and use the kids as back ups. Klopp is very keen to always keep giving opportunities to the reserves.

Koulibaly is very good friends with Mane and Napoli wants Lovren and willing to pay 20m euros taking the price down to 70 million euros.

I also read rumours that Napoli is also very keen on Matip and that could be another 30 million euros and then Kloop will go after Domagoj Vida.

He is available for 30 million euros and at 31 will be fourth choice like a Klavan.

I guess if corona affects the club's finances then Pool might just sell Lovren and get Vida instead of Koulibaly.

Ironically Vida is actually very good friends with Lorven who could replace him and take his place.

I think you are spot on about Werner and selling Shariqi and Origi.

The delay is Werner has clause in his contract that says if his team does not win the German League his price will be 10m euros less and he will be available for just 34m and Michael Edwards knows all about this saving Pool even more money.

So if we sell Shariqi and Origi that will pay for Werner

and if we sell Matip and Lovren then 20m euos gets us Koulibaly.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

Liverpool almost had a clean sweep of the BBC’s footballing awards this year – with Jordan Henderson named Player of the Year, Trent Alexander-Arnold winning the Young Player of the Year award and seven players making their Team of the Season.

The seven Reds named in the Team of the Year were Alisson, Virgil van Dijk, Trent, Andy Robertson, Jordan Henderson, Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane.

image.png.570c8003507541e06906831b47bf6f27.png

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 2

On 5/8/2020 at 9:18 PM, Jamesc said:

Liverpool almost had a clean sweep of the BBC’s footballing awards this year – with Jordan Henderson named Player of the Year, Trent Alexander-Arnold winning the Young Player of the Year award and seven players making their Team of the Season.

The seven Reds named in the Team of the Year were Alisson, Virgil van Dijk, Trent, Andy Robertson, Jordan Henderson, Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane.

image.png.570c8003507541e06906831b47bf6f27.png

And Klopp is the manager of the year 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4