Liverpool Football Club - It is time to end the 30 year wait

Akula

Wish lovren all the best.

While he has screwed up on some occasions in the past with his big mouth. We cannot forget that he was our best player when we lost to Real in the 17/18 final. 

And he seems to have a great relationship with other members in the squad.

Yes, we need to be gracious with departing players, except those who are pissed poor and/or bad character.

On the whole, Lovren doesn't fall into either of these 2, and he had indeed been good at times.

He should still have a few good years in him, so it's only fair that he finds a team where he'll start. Just his luck that Pool has a few CBs better than him - which is a good issue - at the moment.

All the best to him.

↡ Advertisement

I am quite bewildered by the fact that Klopp is willing to let go of a CB.  Given that Gomez has never finished a season in 1 piece, this decision to let Lovren go will leave Klopp with effectively 3 1st team CB + one 17 yr old promising CB.  With so many competitions and games to go, this type of decision is really very difficult to understand from fans perspectives. 

the alternative theories are:-

- Klopp is clearing house to make room for another 1st team CB in Jan

- Lovren's reported 100K / week salary is too high to allow him to stay on as a squad player.  hence, moving him will release more salary budget for others. 

- Lovren has long indicated as a WC finalist, he demands to be given more respect and a starting place... 

Thought two? 

Kana is ahead, but Sepp VDB is also highly thought of.

There's always Mr Utility man, Fabinho! 

I am quite bewildered by the fact that Klopp is willing to let go of a CB.  Given that Gomez has never finished a season in 1 piece, this decision to let Lovren go will leave Klopp with effectively 3 1st team CB + one 17 yr old promising CB.  With so many competitions and games to go, this type of decision is really very difficult to understand from fans perspectives. 

the alternative theories are:-

- Klopp is clearing house to make room for another 1st team CB in Jan

- Lovren's reported 100K / week salary is too high to allow him to stay on as a squad player.  hence, moving him will release more salary budget for others. 

- Lovren has long indicated as a WC finalist, he demands to be given more respect and a starting place... 

According to Melissa Reddy,

Klopp has put his faith on other young players to be back-up to the first-teamers

1) VVD

2) Gomez

3) Matip

with Ki-Jana next in line coming through, as well as the promising 17 yo van den Berg. These 2 are prob the future, if they develop and progress as hoped.

Fabinho can also deputise if needed.

But you're right, we better hope won't have a situation like last season when Gomez, Matip and Lovren all injured at same time... wah so suay, come to think of it... surely cannot happen again bah...

Klopp wants to have a clearer pathway for Sepp van den Berg, the highly rated 17-year-old, to develop at the club and knows Fabinho is also a solid option at the heart of defence.

Dutch defender Ki-Jana Hoever, meanwhile, who lined up alongside the midfielder at centre-back in the 2-1 FA Cup defeat to Wolves in January, is part of the 23-man Super Cup squad.

Liverpool believe the European Under-17 champion can grow into an elite player in the position and at right-back.

• Praise 2

According to Melissa Reddy,

Klopp has put his faith on other young players to be back-up to the first-teamers

1) VVD

2) Gomez

3) Matip

with Ki-Jana next in line coming through, as well as the promising 17 yo van den Berg. These 2 are prob the future, if they develop and progress as hoped.

Fabinho can also deputise if needed.

But you're right, we better hope won't have a situation like last season when Gomez, Matip and Lovren all injured at same time... wah so suay, come to think of it... surely cannot happen again bah...

Another point is that Lovren often gets muscular injuries. So even if he comes in, he hardly play a spate of games then he's injured again.

U can't rely on him to be backup also as evidenced last year.

I guess its a gamble to sell Lovren now as we have Alisson on treatment table and both Matip and Gomez loves visiting the doctor from time to time. On top of that, Gomez will probably be first choice to cover FB duties when needed. Looks like Hoever and VDB are rubbing their fist in anticipation.

Having said that, Lovren is not that young and should be sold when he can fetch a good price. Between Matip and him, i think its easy to choose. Between Gomez and him, both are injury prone but its easy to go for the young man who has yet to play in world cup final. Guess if Klopp is beginning to refresh the squad, Lovren will be the first CB out anyway. 20M is good money. Can buy a few young CBs and if one of them develops into new star then its a good gamble. The rest can still sell for 10M each to other EPL teams. LOL.

Edited by Raymondism
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

some commentators mentioned that Adrian is an upgrade from Mingolet. I am not totally convinced however given his 5 years experience in the EPL with West Ham, I think he should be an adequate cover.  with no real difficult games apart from the home game vs Arsenal in 2 weeks time, I think Pool isn't in a worst case situation.  

Tomorrow, Pool play Chelsea in the super cup.  I half expect Klopp to play some squad players.. likewise for Chelsea too who started the season at OT playing half the squad from the reserve team.  Dunnoe what is happening but doubt tomorrow game will be a very neat and tidy game.  

Pool's defence looks leaky at the moment as they need to drill their offside trap abit better. That was the main key for last season under VVD's leadership and vocal instructions. The midfield 3 in front of them must also learn not to over commit in attacking. Fabino in the number 6 position is abit off color at the moment with his usual defensive efficiency not getting up to speed.  Hopefully, this are due to early season rustiness.  

i tink u didnt watch fabinho properly. see his stats for the norwich game. 

Another point is that Lovren often gets muscular injuries. So even if he comes in, he hardly play a spate of games then he's injured again.

U can't rely on him to be backup also as evidenced last year.

Actually, given how little Lovren plays, how come so much muscle injuries? I tot his best pal is Salah, how come it's like Sturridge? [laugh]

• Praise 1

LOL

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/798129/Alison-Becker-Twitter-Liverpool-news-Alisson-injury?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-star-football+%28Daily+Star+%3A%3A+Football+Feed%29&utm_content=FaceBook

Actually, given how little Lovren plays, how come so much muscle injuries? I tot his best pal is Salah, how come it's like Sturridge? [laugh]

Some people are more prone to muscle injuries lor.
They do so many high intensity sprints and stop-start. It's very tough on hamstrings. 

It's not like everyone can be an elite athlete that doesn't break down often.

Like i do some sprints for exercise sometimes. Though i never had a problem so far. But I'm quite particular about how i stretch before and after that. 

• Praise 1

Thought two? 

Kana is ahead, but Sepp VDB is also highly thought of.

There's always Mr Utility man, Fabinho! 

Kana is a RB  isn't he?  Sepp is definitely more of a out and out CB. 

both ard 17- 18 yr old... sorry i do not wish to sound dismissive of young players.. but these are not the players who will get you trophies in this cold hard world of professional and competitive football. 

Unless Klopp will be around for the next 5-7 years and grooms these players personally, what i am worried is that once Klopp decides to go (he hasn't agreed to any contract extensions), there may be a huge gap of talent pool without sufficient maturity and experience in the squad. 

• Praise 1

Kana is a RB  isn't he?  Sepp is definitely more of a out and out CB. 

both ard 17- 18 yr old... sorry i do not wish to sound dismissive of young players.. but these are not the players who will get you trophies in this cold hard world of professional and competitive football. 

Unless Klopp will be around for the next 5-7 years and grooms these players personally, what i am worried is that once Klopp decides to go (he hasn't agreed to any contract extensions), there may be a huge gap of talent pool without sufficient maturity and experience in the squad. 

I'm definitely all for keeping a strong squad.

But maybe Lovren wants to leave lah.

Turbocharged

tough to copy and paste here, but you can go to https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/359939-liverpool-norwich-match-report-premier-league

and then choose midfielder and can see all the stats there.

when watching the match, Fabinho was ok lah.

yes....when watching. seems like nothing. but saw a few reports n videos on how good he was that game. something like wat lucas did. unglamorous .... but did a lot of work that common couch critics like us dont see.

• Praise 1

i tink u didnt watch fabinho properly. see his stats for the norwich game. 

yup, I am not aware of his stats for the game.

however, I am quite sure this game wasn't one of Fabino's better performances simply because there were so many gaps in the midfield area and Norwich players overcame Pool's offside trap again and again. 

It is also true that the above can't be Fabino's fault alone.  I think this is a given.  However, as the DM, the first thing to do is be positionally sound to sift out the dangers and passes.  I feel Fabino didn't excel as well as in the previous games towards the end of last season whereby he was so effective to prevent balls from reaching forwards and cutting passes.  This is based on my visual perspectives..  Happy to stand corrected 

• Praise 1

Some people are more prone to muscle injuries lor.

They do so many high intensity sprints and stop-start. It's very tough on hamstrings. 

It's not like everyone can be an elite athlete that doesn't break down often.

Like i do some sprints for exercise sometimes. Though i never had a problem so far. But I'm quite particular about how i stretch before and after that. 

talking about muscle injuries, i think noone beats michael owen. he must be champion. had to retire early becos of that...

Turbocharged

yup, I am not aware of his stats for the game.

however, I am quite sure this game wasn't one of Fabino's better performances simply because there were so many gaps in the midfield area and Norwich players overcame Pool's offside trap again and again. 

It is also true that the above can't be Fabino's fault alone.  I think this is a given.  However, as the DM, the first thing to do is be positionally sound to sift out the dangers and passes.  I feel Fabino didn't excel as well as in the previous games towards the end of last season whereby he was so effective to prevent balls from reaching forwards and cutting passes.  This is based on my visual perspectives..  Happy to stand corrected 

no worries. actually i had the same opinion as well. i tot the midfield didnt do well. but seeing those stats n videos that ppl made, i was quite surprise. need to pay more attn to everyone next time. LOL!

Found another website but probably more for overall stats

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/115916/Show/Fabinho

I did not watch the game but judging from what Klopp says, he is usually quite honest after games, the game was not exactly one sided though the team likely lower one gear after the fourth goal. And for the goal that Pukki scored, its quite well taken.

↡ Advertisement