Liverpool Football Club - It is time to end the 30 year wait

Akula

2 hours ago, Vegas said:

We seem to have forgotten how to defend since the start of this season....

compared to the 7 goals conceded at WHL, this is nothing. Spurs also used to have a solid backline. 

Pool's defending needs plenty of improvements and I dare say it is not only down to the defenders, the entire midfield and front 3 needs to press and close spaces much more efficiently.  Already Pool is facing more shots at its goals these season's matches compared to last. 

• Praise 1

a good leader also needed a dependable deputy.

gomez was rusty and came up short. Or did i undermine Matip's contribution all this while.

If matip cant be fit for the weekend, its time for WR CD to rise up to the occasion.

• Praise 2

14 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

a good leader also needed a dependable deputy.

gomez was rusty and came up short. Or did i undermine Matip's contribution all this while.

If matip cant be fit for the weekend, its time for WR CD to rise up to the occasion.

But knowing Klopp, even if Matip is not fit, he will likely stick with Gomez, to give him a chance to redeem himself and get back his confidence...

Dunno why Gomez regressed so much...

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Atrecord said:

But knowing Klopp, even if Matip is not fit, he will likely stick with Gomez, to give him a chance to redeem himself and get back his confidence...

Dunno why Gomez regressed so much...

I greatest fear for Gomez is he playing RB.

5 hours ago, Fooblack said:

compared to the 7 goals conceded at WHL, this is nothing. Spurs also used to have a solid backline. 

Pool's defending needs plenty of improvements and I dare say it is not only down to the defenders, the entire midfield and front 3 needs to press and close spaces much more efficiently.  Already Pool is facing more shots at its goals these season's matches compared to last. 

Yah not only the defend, the whole team stop pressing once they score goals just like the Chelsea game. In fact pool has always been like that especially in the 2nd half for as long as i remember. So next time just watch the 1st half of the game and save on the heart attack in the 2nd half.

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Xers007 said:

Yah not only the defend, the whole team stop pressing once they score goals just like the Chelsea game. In fact pool has always been like that especially in the 2nd half for as long as i remember. So next time just watch the 1st half of the game and save on the heart attack in the 2nd half.

some pundits were suggesting a level of complacency creeping into the pool's squad, now that the team is so strong and expected to win every game. When you are 3-0 up and end up conceding 3 goals at home, i think there is every merit in such a perspective formed. 

compared to city, Pool need to be more ruthless in front of goal.  The difference is that once Pool goes 1 or 2 goals up, then the focus begins to shift to individual collections.. the likes of Salah and Mane will then think of accummulating more personal goals then to play as a team to put the other team to the sword. This is why City stands out more whereby in games where they dominating with the goals, the whole team continues to work together to score more goals.  It doesn't really matter who gets unto the scoreline.  Case in point, in the 8-0 demolition of Watford, their main striker Aguero only scored 1 penalty and wasn't looking all match selfishly to add to his tally.   

Pool needs to put opposition teams to to the sword by creating a real margin of goals in every game. This game serve as an important warning that even at 3-0 up, there is every chance that the opposition can still get back into the game and hurt us.  

VVD had the poorest of games since joining Pool. Turned inside out for the 1st goal and allowing a cross to slip by him for the 3rd goal.  This has to be an off night for him in all perspectives and hopefully, he can also pull up his socks.  

• Praise 2

All 7 were great goals scored in a high tempo high octane end to end stuff. 

A wake up call indeed. Or they have only domestic title in the radar now? 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

All 7 were great goals scored in a high tempo high octane end to end stuff. 

A wake up call indeed. Or they have only domestic title in the radar now? 

Poch's tactics were extremely naive during the game.  at 2-4 down with 10 minutes to go, he went for broke and left both flanks to be attacked by Bayern's pacy wingers.  the last 3 goals were conceded in the remaining 10 minutes.  

1 hour ago, Fooblack said:

Poch's tactics were extremely naive during the game.  at 2-4 down with 10 minutes to go, he went for broke and left both flanks to be attacked by Bayern's pacy wingers.  the last 3 goals were conceded in the remaining 10 minutes.  

Sorry, I wasn’t clear...was referring to Pools game with Salzburg 

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Sorry, I wasn’t clear...was referring to Pools game with Salzburg 

Jialat lah...

When i saw City conceded 3 goals against Norwich, I thought City's defence will be their downfall this season...

Then now it's our turn. The only difference - and saving grace - is that we won.

The defence needs to step up and go back to the stingy state of last season, and quickly too...

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Jialat lah...

When i saw City conceded 3 goals against Norwich, I thought City's defence will be their downfall this season...

Then now it's our turn. The only difference - and saving grace - is that we won.

The defence needs to step up and go back to the stingy state of last season, and quickly too...

City's issues are definitely more acute.. they only have 1 fit CB at the moment.  The saving grace is that they control most matches hence the bulk of the possession and attack is in its hands.  

Pool's defence is more vulnerable this season and has been discussed by pundits. The main reason behind is the distinctively higher defensive line relative to previous years. Both TAA and Roberstson has also been given more license to run further upfield to provide width for the attack. In past seasons, Klopp sometimes put them lower up the pitch or only allow 1 fullback to join the attack. 

Joe Gomez's apparent rustiness and lack of match sharpness is also contributing factor in the game vs Red Bull...  safe to say, most of us will prefer Matip to be back fit for the game vs 3rd placed Leciester... 

Turbocharged

Gomez if stayed fit would be the CB for next 10 yrs i believe... Matip grab his chance since gomez got injured.

the high defensive line is causing more problems, but with VAR, i think it will not impact results too much due to correct offside calls.

with defensive line higher, the mf and attack will be higher to try win the ball back. once the opponents pass our press, we become damn vulnerable. this red bull team time their runs perfectly breaking our offside trap very efficiently

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Fooblack said:

City's issues are definitely more acute.. they only have 1 fit CB at the moment.  The saving grace is that they control most matches hence the bulk of the possession and attack is in its hands.  

Pool's defence is more vulnerable this season and has been discussed by pundits. The main reason behind is the distinctively higher defensive line relative to previous years. Both TAA and Roberstson has also been given more license to run further upfield to provide width for the attack. In past seasons, Klopp sometimes put them lower up the pitch or only allow 1 fullback to join the attack. 

Joe Gomez's apparent rustiness and lack of match sharpness is also contributing factor in the game vs Red Bull...  safe to say, most of us will prefer Matip to be back fit for the game vs 3rd placed Leciester... 

You're spot-on about the defensive situation betw City and Pool. I was hoping they'll be overrun when opponents attack, which is admittedly not often, esp since their only fit CB was not even a starter last season. But Fernandinho was able to deal with most problems when i watched them. Somehow not many teams dare to have a go at them the way Norwich did.

Pool really suay, before season started, already Allison was down. Adrian while decent, is not likely to give the same confidence to the team as Allison would. Plus the defensive line issue and individual's form and mistakes, makes for a worrying time.

With City facing such problem, this season would be the best chance to beat them to the title. It's just like the season when Leicester won it, every other team was facing its own issues, so the most stable and consistent team would win it. City when everyone is fit and available, is very formidable. With such a good opportunity like this, we really shouldn't let it slip us by.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Vegas said:

Gomez if stayed fit would be the CB for next 10 yrs i believe... Matip grab his chance since gomez got injured.

the high defensive line is causing more problems, but with VAR, i think it will not impact results too much due to correct offside calls.

with defensive line higher, the mf and attack will be higher to try win the ball back. once the opponents pass our press, we become damn vulnerable. this red bull team time their runs perfectly breaking our offside trap very efficiently

Better hope the other teams don't study and emulate RBS 😰

But Klopp better analyse it carefully and come up with a plan to counter it...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Liverpool make two changes for this afternoon’s Premier League clash Leicester City at Anfield.

Dejan Lovren and James Milner return to the starting line-up in place of Joe Gomez and Jordan Henderson.

Harvey Elliott is named on the substitutes’ bench.

Liverpool: Adrian, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Milner, Wijnaldum, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Kelleher, Keita, Gomez, Henderson, Lallana, Origi, Elliott.

wonder when we can see Ox starting a game again. with 2 defensive minded mids in gini n fabinho, i would hv tried with 1 attacking minded mid like Ox or keita. but klopp is always playing safe. 

35 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Liverpool make two changes for this afternoon’s Premier League clash Leicester City at Anfield.

Dejan Lovren and James Milner return to the starting line-up in place of Joe Gomez and Jordan Henderson.

Harvey Elliott is named on the substitutes’ bench.

Liverpool: Adrian, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Milner, Wijnaldum, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Kelleher, Keita, Gomez, Henderson, Lallana, Origi, Elliott.

wonder when we can see Ox starting a game again. with 2 defensive minded mids in gini n fabinho, i would hv tried with 1 attacking minded mid like Ox or keita. but klopp is always playing safe. 

Lovren is a surprise inclusion; maybe Klopp has certain tactical ideas.

Lovren has to perform and prove why he  is chosen ahead of Gomez.

In Klopp we trust!

😃

Edited by cashcow
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1