2020/2021 and 2023/2024 Facelift 4th Generation Kia Sorento

Carbon82

On 10/9/2020 at 8:58 PM, Heartlander said:

I really feeling bad for the current Sorento owners. The new model is so much better in every aspects! This is unlike the Odyssey and Estima, still sporting similar outline after so many years. I really do not understand why car makers do not want to do radical redesign for every full model change, rather than evolutional change to keep fan loyalty but make the product very stale after awhile. 

That gen sorrento not bad liao. Someone said compare to kodiaq. Already that is better than kodiaq ia every aspect liao. Maybe i rem the puny infotainment screen from kia. But others beats koqia hands dow  liao.

This new one i dare say should be the benchmark how 3 rows suv should be.

↡ Advertisement

11 minutes ago, Spurman said:

That gen sorrento not bad liao. Someone said compare to kodiaq. Already that is better than kodiaq ia every aspect liao. Maybe i rem the puny infotainment screen from kia. But others beats koqia hands dow  liao.

This new one i dare say should be the benchmark how 3 rows suv should be.

Yes, one big blemish of that 3rd gen sorento is the infotainment joke screen. Feels like it came off from a picanto, metaphorically. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

err... if really wanna carry 7 buy a proper large mpv and not an suv please

for the price of the new sorento, most large mpvs are within reach

😬

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

14 minutes ago, Enye said:

😬

Cos sorento u feel more macho, more safe and better looking. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

On 10/9/2020 at 10:20 PM, t0y0ta said:

Every major model change is at least 1 billion USD development $$.

Hyundai/Kia is doing what the Japs did in 80s and 90s - when they outpaced the rest of world in R&D spending and come out with dozens of new models each changed around 4 years. Lexus, Acura, Infiniti was introduced then.

Eventually the japs run out of steam and started to slow down and very careful with their R&D spending.

Expect the Koreans to also slow down maybe in next decade.

I would think it is even more spending now than in the past and accounting for inflation. So many regulations to clear now and each testing cost $$$$. 

1 hour ago, Enye said:

😬

Hehe. To some drivers like me. Cant get over the stigma or drivability of mpv lor till today. I ever took the 216d. Was good but kns end up selling it away early. Darn its still a mpv no matter what. Darn. 

Maybe its my problem.

• Haha! 1

On 10/9/2020 at 10:17 PM, Heartlander said:

True true. But it is normal to feel this dread when the car that you are driving is launching new model, especially when the new model is so much better and improved haha. I would think this feeling is universal lah regardless of whether you have enjoyed that car very much or not.

I would think good thing this Sorento is a Korean car. It would have been more expensive if it is a conti car. So in a way is already VFM to me.

Aiyoh bro... how to chase every new car model... unless you're loaded then you see some people every 3 years change car to the latest model lor... we all have limited means here...

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

I would think it is even more spending now than in the past and accounting for inflation. So many regulations to clear now and each testing cost $$$$. 

I presume the $1billion refers to a platform change lar... otherwise if it's body shell shouldn't cost that much... this incremental drip feed update to body design is pioneered by BMW and Audi... everyone seems to love even if the new model and old one looks almost the same... sigh...

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Enye said:

😬

Agree except even for these large MPV, the third row like also not for adults leh...

2 hours ago, teomingern said:

Aiyoh bro... how to chase every new car model... unless you're loaded then you see some people every 3 years change car to the latest model lor... we all have limited means here...

Those who have bought 3G Sorento early or own for a few years already, time to consider changing already since even now there are no other 7-seater MPV with better 3rd row seat space.

You will feel the dread only if you are stuck with current car due to whatever reason. I remember feeling relieved when my Biante was announced not having successor model few years back. Forever owning the latest model haha. But eventually still find excuse to sell it off.

Frankly if able to afford new 3G Sorento, definitely have the means to change lah, just a matter of want or not barring sudden bad financial situation.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

6 hours ago, Actan72 said:

I am also feeling bad for this new sorento owners. Have to pay premium price for more plastic feel compare to previous.. doors also feel light compare to previous.. 

New cars always have to pay premium price what. If you look at 3G Sorento pricing under sgcarmart, it hovers above $150k for quite long time also even this year. Just that these few months crash fast-and-furious to $141k due to new model launching.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, teomingern said:

Agree except even for these large MPV, the third row like also not for adults leh...

Need to be similar size like ody, estima, alphard then its suitable to carry adult in 3rd row

for suv, only sorento best carrying adult in 3rd row

• Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Need to be similar size like ody, estima, alphard then its suitable to carry adult in 3rd row

Sorrento is 100mm shorter than Land Cruiser

Edited by inlinesix

On 10/9/2020 at 8:58 PM, Heartlander said:

I really feeling bad for the current Sorento owners. The new model is so much better in every aspects! This is unlike the Odyssey and Estima, still sporting similar outline after so many years. I really do not understand why car makers do not want to do radical redesign for every full model change, rather than evolutional change to keep fan loyalty but make the product very stale after awhile. 

odyssey and estima are real MPV or what the Americans call mini-vans. 
I don't believe they sell the Estima still in USA. There is a current update for 2021 Toyota Sienna. Odyssey is probably reaching time for model change liao.

They are currently low in popularity due to the trend towards mid-full sized SUVs. Pallisade/telluride/pilot/highlanders etc.

35 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

New cars always have to pay premium price what. If you look at 3G Sorento pricing under sgcarmart, it hovers above $150k for quite long time also even this year. Just that these few months crash fast-and-furious to $141k due to new model launching.

Now going at 136k for the 3G. Tempted leh.

https://www.cyclecarriage.com/sg/kia/warehouse/?tab=tab-promocars

42C23639-7D04-4908-BE06-B0C6F1CE48FC.jpeg

• Praise 5

11 minutes ago, minty said:

Now going at 136k for the 3G. Tempted leh.

https://www.cyclecarriage.com/sg/kia/warehouse/?tab=tab-promocars

42C23639-7D04-4908-BE06-B0C6F1CE48FC.jpeg

Over the years I have wise up to always pay more for latest variants. Sure you can save abit now, but along the way when you look at the new models that is so radically improved you will have the itch to change real soon. But if new model is very evolutionary type with cosmetic changes even for full model change then definitely good to grab.

• Praise 1

54 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Add the boxy MPVs to the list also can. The Tiplets, Stepwagon, Serena also can carry adults comfortably in 3rd row lah. Apart from these, maybe add Sharan/Alhambra and should be about it. The rest, think all can't say comfortable.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6