Fire outbreak at block 720 AMK Central

Tkseah

Supersonic

CK is damn suay.

Didn't their office building (HQ?) also go up in flames previously?

CK is damn suay.

happen once is suay, twice is like suspicious [laugh]
  • Praise 1

From the photos, I suspect arson, as quite diff for fire to spread to such big area within a short time frame.

CK is damn suay.

Yes, about 2 years back. And the new building has just been completed.

happen once is suay, twice is like suspicious [laugh]

I am not familiar with the area, but the fire seems to be starting from it neighbour, from this photo.

ang-mo-kio-fire.png

Anyway, expect a sharp hike in their insurance premium, regardless of their fault or not. If that is the case, might as well as end their business?

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

It is about time they look seriously into all these fire code infringements. No proper fire protection for storage space, crowding of space including fire escape route. HDB even mark our space meant for corridors for merchants display. Biz override safety.

• Praise 1

It is about time they look seriously into all these fire code infringements. No proper fire protection for storage space, crowding of space including fire escape route. HDB even mark our space meant for corridors for merchants display. Biz override safety.

Not only HDB area (corridor and such), but atrium in shopping mall are also used for food fair, roadshow, etc. Remember the recent fire at Tampines Mall?

BTW, revision to Fire Safety Act to be tabled in the upcoming parliament meeting.

• Praise 5

Supersonic

Difficult to find CK store around that area lo? Now it gone! The fire really big, saw the news that the whole block, from ground level to top level was badly burnt.

Turbocharged

Not only HDB area (corridor and such), but atrium in shopping mall are also used for food fair, roadshow, etc. Remember the recent fire at Tampines Mall?

BTW, revision to Fire Safety Act to be tabled in the upcoming parliament meeting.

It is no point passing act without enforcement.  There are biz elements within the respective authorities that override them. While I agree, laws are there to govern and flexibility should apply on a case to case basis, if everytime it is waived, then need need for that law.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

It started with paint shops didn't it? I don't know how those hardware shops with cans of oil-based paint are classified. All stored underneath residents.

But if that's allowed, petrol stations should be allowed to operate at void decks.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

According to one of the hawkers nearby, the fire started from the corner shop selling household items.

Turbocharged

It is very common to see the entire shop include the corridor cluttered. If you have the opportunity to go up the 2nd floor, i am sure condition is worse. NTUC in HDB shop houses are the worst. For commercial buildings,  there are stringent fire safety laws, why HDB so special leh? 

It is very common to see the entire shop include the corridor cluttered. If you have the opportunity to go up the 2nd floor, i am sure condition is worse. NTUC in HDB shop houses are the worst. For commercial buildings,  there are stringent fire safety laws, why HDB so special leh? 

That shop has been around for ages. Is it one of those old style shophouse with staircase going up to the residential unit? If yes, then there is a good chance that upstairs will be used as storage space.

This type of household/hardware stuff shop, depends on volume to be able to sustain/thrive. I believe it must have done well to be there all these years. If the shop displays too few items, customers will not be attracted to it. So they will display a lot, to provide customers with the options they want. They sell a lot of plastic items, and a lot of the mechandise are wrapped in plastic too.

Once a fire starts, it's going to spread like wildfire, which is exactly what happened. In mere minutes, from just smoke became whole place engulfed in flame. If it was, for example, one of those new-style laundry shops, or a tuition centre, then there will not be so much fire hazard stuff there, and there would still be a chance to contain and kill the fire before it goes out of control.

But it has always been tough for small biz owners. Shops like this depend on high quantity-turnover, and need customers to buy many items quickly to survive. A handphone shop can sell only 10 phones a day and got chance to survive; this type of shops will need to sell possibly 100 or 1000 times more items (that are $3 or $4 each) to do so.

If there is restriction or control over how much they can display, i suspect it'll drive them out of biz also...

Turbocharged

At least this fire broke out at a location where there is open space for people to run. I have seen places which are narrow like anything, stall owners still allowed to place goods outside of their store, within some yellow box, to sell. Which is still not so bad if the shopkeeper really stick to within the boundary, but just need one to hack care and every other business will also ignore the boundaries and just place their goods out any old how.

Turbocharged

While we emphasize with biz, we also cannot compromise safety especially the residents above. Why should they specify their lives for other biz? Basic fire codes , cluttering,  especially the common areas should never be compromised 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1