D1 Spec Brake Pads - Don't be fooled.

Fastfive1

I find taiwanese car products to be inferior or a knock off of something established. My friend has a 4 Piston D1 Spec brake caliper. He recently got ripped off the the local dealer of D1 Spec products when he had to change his brake pads. 300 bucks for supposedly good quality D1 Spec pads. That's just nonsense. I decided to get him to remove the brake pads and get it measured. I searched the internet high and low for pads that would meet those measurements. Turns out that you can use brake pads meant for Brembo Calipers. You can easily get original brembo pads for that application for less than 100 sgd if you order it online. Heck you can even get dixcel pads for around 170 sgd if you prefer that brand.

Don't believe that you cannot use anything other than D1 Spec Brake pads in a D1 Spec Brake Caliper. Most of these taiwanese brake companies copy the design from other established brake companies. If you own a D1 Spec BBK, please note that you have options when it comes to what brake pads. You just need to measure your existing brake pads and use the internet to search. The dealer of D1 spec BBK will definitely say you cannot use anything other than their pad so that they can hold you ransom. But f**k them!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Thanks for the public service announcement, although personally, I would only believe in aftermarket brakes if they have enough testing and racing expertise behind them, and a reputation that is worth cheap counterfeiters copying them - think brands like Brembo, AP Racing, etc.

I have always been sceptical on BBK.

I mean doesn't mean you put on a bigger brake means you brake better.

What about the rear puny brake that was left untouched and how balanced is the brake force distributed across the front an rear?

Many people who upgraded merely did and listen blindly to sales talk.

• Praise 5

I have always been sceptical on BBK.

I mean doesn't mean you put on a bigger brake means you brake better.

What about the rear puny brake that was left untouched and how balanced is the brake force distributed across the front an rear?

Many people who upgraded merely did and listen blindly to sales talk.

depends on your car drivetrain, for FWD, rear is ok as most force is from the front , u will find no point upgrading your rear. 

if RWD den maybe different, i read online before. from stoptech web or something.

depends on your car drivetrain, for FWD, rear is ok as most force is from the front , u will find no point upgrading your rear. 

if RWD den maybe different, i read online before. from stoptech web or something.

It would be good to have a theory to back up. And surely there must be right combination for front and back.

I have seen 6 pot bbk at the front  and smallish stock fitted at the back. Really cartoon looking. 

It would be good to have a theory to back up. And surely there must be right combination for front and back.

I have seen 6 pot bbk at the front and smallish stock fitted at the back. Really cartoon looking.

Having bigger pot doesn't= stopping power tho. Good brake pads contribute alot. N of cos tyres.

If u see new performance car. Mostly front is bbk and rear they just painted the original caliper red.

Street driving i believe shldnt be an issue. Hard core track driver then another story..

• Praise 1

I've tried the D1 Spec BBK. It performs decently and still works after being 10+ years old. It has better braking compared to stock brakes. But I just don't like how the local agent/dealer for these parts will charge you significantly more for pads which most likely aren't even made by them. This is their business model, bring in cheap BBKs but charge a high price for pads. Not even branded pads, want 300 bucks for it.

I will get my friend to get a set of dixcel pads and give it a go. See the difference in performance.

Internal Moderator

Your title is misleading. I change it to brake pads instead.

I find taiwanese car products to be inferior or a knock off of something established. My friend has a 4 Piston D1 Spec brake caliper. He recently got ripped off the the local dealer of D1 Spec products when he had to change his brake pads. 300 bucks for supposedly good quality D1 Spec pads. That's just nonsense. I decided to get him to remove the brake pads and get it measured. I searched the internet high and low for pads that would meet those measurements. Turns out that you can use brake pads meant for Brembo Calipers. You can easily get original brembo pads for that application for less than 100 sgd if you order it online. Heck you can even get dixcel pads for around 170 sgd if you prefer that brand.

Don't believe that you cannot use anything other than D1 Spec Brake pads in a D1 Spec Brake Caliper. Most of these taiwanese brake companies copy the design from other established brake companies. If you own a D1 Spec BBK, please note that you have options when it comes to what brake pads. You just need to measure your existing brake pads and use the internet to search. The dealer of D1 spec BBK will definitely say you cannot use anything other than their pad so that they can hold you ransom. But f**k them!

If the brake pads have the same metal backing plate and cake height then its compatible. The only difference will only be how the cake is cut (1 or 2 slots, chamfered or non chamfered edge) and the ingredients and method used to bake the cake. 

Our cars are all front brake bias for drivability reasons. Even RWD cars will have bigger front brakes. When you step on the brake, all 4 brakes will bike just that to a different degree. 

Many other components (e.g. booster, shock absorber, brake hose, brake fluid, tyres, etc)  will affect brake stopping distance. Having bigger brakes doesn't mean you stop better. 

To me the OEM caliper will suffice. Just maintain the car timely, upgrade to slightly more metalic pads or slotted disc of the same size. Adding unsprung weight to the car will only cause an imbalance and parts to wear prematurely. 

• Praise 1

I have seen 6 pot bbk at the front  and smallish stock fitted at the back. Really cartoon looking. 

From stoptech webpage:

"If there are no thermal concerns with the rear brakes (and on a front-engine street car there rarely are) then by installing a rear big-brake kit all you are doing is (a) spending money and (b) adding unsprung weight. This is not usually viewed as favorable, unless you like driving a heavy, expensive car.

&

Of course, if you decide to upsize your rear brake system components you can also impact the front-rear torque relationship, and consequently you can "bias" the "balance" more toward the rear. Go too far, and the rear brakes could lock before the fronts. Again, not the end result you were expecting, right?"

Up to you to evaluate if logical or not.

• Praise 1

What can u expect if u go to a d1 spec dealer and u are equip with d1 spec piston .

100+1 % they will only sell u d1 spec brake pad.

If like we go ad. If u ask for any other brand other then orginal they will tell u cannot.

• Praise 1

If stock brake pads can activate ABS, then isn't the tyres the limiting factor instead of the pads? [laugh]

I would think better pads are less susceptible to brake fading? Unless one is hard-braking and going REALLY hard into corners every time i don't see how brake fading comes into play during street driving.

Twincharged

Like the latest Toyota Supra,Front 6 pots [thumbsup] ,Rear Single Pot "Sliding"Caliper [thumbsdown] .

What can u expect if u go to a d1 spec dealer and u are equip with d1 spec piston .

100+1 % they will only sell u d1 spec brake pad.

If like we go ad. If u ask for any other brand other then orginal they will tell u cannot.

The problem is when D1 Spec doesn't have certain data available, you have no choice but to get the pads from the agent. Even your typical workshops outside don't know what to do and will probably have to source these parts from the D1 Spec agent. Pui! You also cannot buy D1 Spec specific pads easily online. I doubt you can find pads on ebay that say it will fit D1 Spec Calipers. You have to pull out the brake pads, go measure it and find out which other brake pad matches this size. If y'all need pictures of the measurements, PM me and I will send it to you.

(edited)

I am not sure why people are saying negative things about Taiwan BBK. Have they tried it before commenting ? I am also apprehensive on Taiwanese BBK in the initial stage, however I decided to give it a try after having some extra spare change. After that, no regrets and brakings has never been better. The brakes bite is heavenly and I wont go back to lousy stock brakes anymore. Either branded or Taiwan after market BBK is for me.

Edited by Renegade777
  • Praise 1

I am not sure why people are saying negative things about Taiwan BBK. Have they tried it before commenting ? I am also apprehensive on Taiwanese BBK in the initial stage, however I decided to give it a try after having some extra spare change. After that, no regrets and brakings has never been better. The brakes bite is heavenly and I wont go back to lousy stock brakes anymore. Either branded or Taiwan after market BBK is for me.

Don't get me wrong. D1 Spec BBK is decent. But I don't like how their agents/dealers in singapore do things. 300 bucks for unknown brake pads? That's just stupid. These BBKs are copies of brembo, ap racing and even endless brake calipers. Their brake pads should not cost more than the real deal. 

On 7/7/2019 at 2:21 AM, Fastfive1 said:

Thanks for the great info buddy. Able to share the options for the replacement pads?
Likely will be going with D1 specs as the colors and price are suitable for my budget.

@Fastfive1 I had my encounter with them . Mine also D1 Spec installed 6 months ago at the AD at Ubi one. Installed and drive with no issue . Only recently discover that front left rim alot of brake dust , and right rim have little brake dust, unbalanced brake dust i would say. I wash rim twin in 1 months to monitor the situation. Still the same. I msg the salesman . He reply that only brake with sound and unusual issue then they will check . Brake dust uneven they dun check. Next day I drove to the workshop let the mechanic check. Jus use eye power see say its normal. I told them rear brake dust is balance on both side. Still say normal for the front . I LL drove off. Last week I went to my regular workshop for servicing . I highlight to them also this issue. They do a check and did some testing . Say the rubber abit harden. And show me the that piston does not move fully , sometime retract back but cannot move out again. So i msg the saleman and told him piston "Jam" . He reply my msg how can i let other workshop without letting him knowing.... He know my workshop and call my workshop and scold the boss. I apologise to the boss on this matter, he reply no worries. I went down to look for him. We had a conversation. He say unbalanced brake dust is not a problem , say never heard about unbalanced brake dust . And claim that i say jam when my workshop say is not jam. I told him to me is a jam as i am not a technical person on cars. I told him I  queries a few workshop which i know off and most claim that unbalanced brake dust is some issue on the caliper piston. Guess what ? He say if those workshop can solve yr problem you can go to them to solve your issue. I got heated up and told him its ok , Business DO ONCE .... i walk away .... Seriously I think he know nothing about cars mod and issue... well that my luck.....

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2