Neighbours from hell...

therock

Supersonic
(edited)

True, each individual sure to have their own excuses and story to defend themselves whenever there is something happen. Whether who is correct who is wrong, not easy to find evident to justify. Thats why noisy and inconsiderate neighbor, disputes and complaints among neighbor would never able to resolve.

Regards dog barking, if the owner is at home and the dog is barking loudly and non-stop, maybe it is the responsibility of the owner to tame the dog not to disturb others? Same theory like if your kids are jumping and running around the house, the stomping sound from the feet could be hear clearly by the unit downstairs and could disturb them?! So depends how the people in the house react to this lo. Some people might think it is ok and normal for kids to jump and run in the house which cannot be stop, as you cannot expect kids to behave like wooden block and sit still right? So why need to complain? 公说公有理,婆说婆有理. Many times it is really difficult to judge at all la.  [laugh]

Edited by 13177
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

True, each individual sure to have their own excuses and story to defend themselves whenever there is something happen. Whether who is correct who is wrong, not easy to find evident to justify. Thats why noisy and inconsiderate neighbor, disputes and complaints among neighbor would never able to resolve.

Regards dog barking, if the owner is at home and the dog is barking loudly and non-stop, maybe it is the responsibility of the owner to tame the dog not to disturb others? Same theory like if your kids are jumping and running around the house, the stomping sound from the feet could be hear clearly by the unit downstairs and could disturb them?! So depends how the people in the house react to this lo. Some people might think it is ok and normal for kids to jump and run in the house which cannot be stop, as you cannot expect kids to behave like wooden block and sit still right? So why need to complain? å¬è¯´å¬æçï¼å©è¯´å©æç. Many times it is really difficult to judge at all la. [laugh]

Precisely.

Many times BOTH parties of neighbours can refuse to change or push the blame around. And its usual when these share their story, it will be edited big time to present theirs as being right or the suffering party. Then the edited stories goes up to the moon and all around the earth. And conveniently HDB is blamed for not taking action because they did not follow every edited edited edited edited versions from mouth to mouth to deaf ears to mouth to salt n pepper added until wow, script writer is born.

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Essentially the main issue is people in very close proximity...

It's a lot easier if there was more space, but we do the best we can..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGnX-MbYE4

With 85% and we add in Condo, it would be 98% living in close proximity. Even landed unless you are living in a big villa, noise is an issue.

Actually noise can be measured and tracked which NEA does required from construction site. Hope one day same can be done to help solve such disputes.  [bigcry]

my own case. few months after i moved in to my hdb

my next door neighbour keep say my aircon compressor at night very noisy... i say is new aircon, how can be noisy... she say it is and even say other neighbours (upstairs, downstairs) also say so... i ask her come in to hear, which she did. No noise.

Few days later, she still kpkb same thing, i say fine i get people clean and service my compressor (she want recommend her son, i refuse lol). Even after this is done, she still complain... and say other neighbours complain also. i approached every one of them and invited them to come to my house and listen... all refused

Complaint stop for a few weeks. then 1 day, she came complain to me again, i asked her when it happen, she say last week. i ask her how often it happen, she says almost every night, i say fine.

i went in my house, took my passport and told her... my oc and i was in europe for past 2 weeks, you want see my passport?

Then i told her, if i hear any complain from you or other neighbours anymore i will not be so kind liao... because i know it was you who instigate the other neighbours... all old folks that lived there past 20yrs. Her husband came out to apologise 

Their assumption was since i just moved in and the sound started, it was from my flat.

all well end well.. we got along thereafter

• Praise 6

Twincharged

my next door neighbour keep say my aircon compressor at night very noisy... i say is new aircon, how can be noisy... she say it is and even say other neighbours (upstairs, downstairs) also say so... i ask her come in to hear, which she did. No noise.

Few days later, she still kpkb same thing, i say fine i get people clean and service my compressor (she want recommend her son, i refuse lol). Even after this is done, she still complain... and say other neighbours complain also. i approached every one of them and invited them to come to my house and listen... all refused

Complaint stop for a few weeks. then 1 day, she came complain to me again, i asked her when it happen, she say last week. i ask her how often it happen, she says almost every night, i say fine.

i went in my house, took my passport and told her... my oc and i was in europe for past 2 weeks, you want see my passport?

Then i told her, if i hear any complain from you or other neighbours anymore i will not be so kind liao... because i know it was you who instigate the other neighbours... all old folks that lived there past 20yrs. Her husband came out to apologise

Their assumption was since i just moved in and the sound started, it was from my flat.

You handsome boy. She wanted a reason to get to know you better. Hahahha
  • Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

Aircon sound noisy? Must be some other neighbor who have stay there for 20 years without servicing or change their aircon la. And your this next door neighbor paiseh to complain her neighbor who also stay there for decade. And you just moved in, so she push the blame to you lo.  [:p]

Edited by 13177

Twincharged

Aircon sound noisy? Must be some other neighbor who have stay there for 20 years without servicing or change their aircon la. And your this next door neighbor paiseh to complain her neighbor who also stay there for decade. And you just moved in, so she push the blame to you lo. [:p]

Either that or psycho. Hearing things! He not around can still hear the aircon!

Aircon sound noisy? Must be some other neighbor who have stay there for 20 years without servicing or change their aircon la. And your this next door neighbor paiseh to complain her neighbor who also stay there for decade. And you just moved in, so she push the blame to you lo.  [:p]

i presume so... somemore they don't on aircon... so they can hear... my window always close so cannot hear....

Supersonic

i presume so... somemore they don't on aircon... so they can hear... my window always close so cannot hear....

The person who on the aircon surely cannot hear the sound even there is any. It is always others people who hear it. Lol.

Either that or psycho. Hearing things! He not around can still hear the aircon!

Must be mental problem again?!

Supersonic

her daughter quite hot ...  but i think son is pink dot

Oh oh.

think she wanted you to get to know her son better. You did say she recommended to you right?

Oh oh.

think she wanted you to get to know her son better. You did say she recommended to you right?

diu...

but not bad lar.... he was the property agent for my first rental... 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/noise-top-cause-of-spats-in-housing-estates

More than 100 cases involving neighbour disputes over noise were handled by the Ministry of Law's Community Mediation Centre (CMC) annually over the past three years (2016 to 2018).

Feuding residents will typically be referred to it for voluntary mediation. If it fails, they can go to the CDRT. There, a resident can apply for a court order to stop his neighbour from the act that causes the noise and seek to claim for damages up to $20,000.

Noise tops the list of causes of neighbour disputes mediated at the CMC in the past three years. Last year, 80 per cent of the cases were settled.

The CDRT heard 108 cases last year, nearly double the 57 in 2017. A breakdown of how many of these involved noise complaints is not available, but nearly 70 per cent of the 79 claims filed with the CDRT from October 2015 to July 2016 included complaints about excessive noise.

If the CDRT issues an order and the neighbour refuses to comply, the complainant can further apply for a special direction for the neighbour to do so.

If that fails, a magistrate's complaint can be filed to privately prosecute the neighbour for breach of the special direction.

A PERENNIAL BUGBEAR

There is no one agency that oversees all complaints about noise pollution. But acoustics consultants say it is noise caused by neighbours in residential units that tends to affect Singaporeans the most. The Housing Board received an average of 8,300 complaints about noise every year, for the past three years.

A fix:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/man-seeks-to-evict-noisy-neighbours-from-flat-below-his

For the past two years, all Mr Daniel See has wished for is a good night's sleep.

And he is still not getting it.

Not even when a court ordered twice that his neighbours living in the unit below stop creating the din that has deprived him of the enjoyment of his home.

The Community Dispute Resolution Tribunal (CDRT) had issued a Consent Order last year after both parties had agreed not to cause excessive noise in the form of stomping, hammering or loud drilling that would be a nuisance to the other.

The tribunal further granted a Special Direction on Oct 29, ordering Mr See's neighbours to comply with the Consent Order.

But even then, the noise continued and got even louder and more frequent, he told The Sunday Times.

"They would throw objects on their floor, make hammering sounds every day and play music loudly throughout the night," alleged Mr See, 29.

"The court has found my neighbours guilty but there is no consequence for their deeds. So the family gets bolder and makes even more noise now."

Last month, he applied for an Exclusion Order to evict his neighbours from their flat. His application will be heard this month.

Since the CDRT was convened in October 2015, it has never granted an Exclusion Order.

Man seeks Exclusion Order from court to force nuisance neighbour out of home

Set up as part of the State Courts, the tribunal has received 365 applications, some of which it dismissed and others, resolved. This includes issuing orders to prevent conflicts from escalating.

Most disputes are over disturbances by neighbours, with almost 70 per cent of the claims about excessive noise resulting in quarrels.

MP Seah Kian Peng, who chairs the Government Parliamentary Committee for Social and Family Development, said that while CDRT provides an outlet for people seeking some resolution for their complaints, mediation should always come first.

"We always try to hear both sides out and try to mediate - and hopefully come to some kind of agreement and resolve the issue amicably," said Mr Seah, an MP for Marine Parade GRC.

• Praise 1

First Exclusion Order issued to bar man's noisy neighbours from home

ST_20200105_JLEVICT_R1_5359634.jpg?itok=

After two years and multiple trips to court, a man has succeeded in barring his noisy neighbours from returning home for a month.

For the first time, the Community Dispute Resolution Tribunal (CDRT) has issued an Exclusion Order and directed a couple to leave their residence, after they were found to have breached an earlier court order to stop creating a din and preventing Mr Daniel See, 29, from enjoying his home.

But if the errant couple refuse to move, Mr See could find himself saddled with another long court process to privately prosecute them for breaching the court order.

Around 8am yesterday, Mr See served the court order by pasting a copy of it on the front door of his neighbours' unit. They live below his unit in Pending Road and were identified in court documents as Madam Iwa and Mr Low Bok Siong.

The order, which takes effect tomorrow, will bar the couple from returning to their three-room Housing Board flat until Feb 6.

Mr See told The Sunday Times yesterday: "I don't know if they will comply with the order since there is no one to enforce it. What more can I do if they continue with their nuisance behaviour?"

The State Courts website states that Mr See will have to file a Magistrate's Complaint against the couple next, if need be, to privately prosecute them for breach of the Exclusion Order under Section 10(1) of the Community Dispute Resolution Act (CDRA).

If convicted, a person can be fined up to $5,000 or imprisoned for up to three months or both.

The tribunal was set up in October 2015 as part of the State Courts to handle neighbour disputes. Tribunal Judge Diana Ho granted the Exclusion Order after hearing Mr See's complaint on Dec 24. The neighbours did not turn up for the court hearing.

Mr See said the quarrel with the couple began in November 2017 when he called the police after seeing Madam Iwa hitting the staircase railing with a metal rod.

He believes the family - a couple and their two grown children - were unhappy that he had called the police, and says they began making a lot of noise from then on.

He said he sought help from the police, the HDB, the town council and his MP, but no one was able to stop them from making noise. So he went on to file his first complaint with the tribunal in June 2018.

A Consent Order was issued and Mr See and his neighbours agreed to stop making excessive noises, such as stomping, hammering or loud drilling, which would be a nuisance to others.

But the neighbours breached the order. Mr See returned to court to apply for a Special Direction for them to comply with the first court order.

The parties met in court again last June.

After three days of hearing, Judge Ho found Mr See's neighbours guilty of loud hammering, which disturbed him unreasonably.

She also noted the extent to which the neighbours would go to disturb Mr See. For instance, it had been heard previously at trial that they would have three adults crammed into one master bedroom to sleep, "wrapping their ears/ heads with blankets and forcing one adult to sleep in the living room", just so that they could play loud music in the bedroom directly below Mr See's.

Mr See said he is grateful to the court for granting the Exclusion Order but is unsure how it will "put a stop to their nuisance behaviour for good". He said: "I feel an Exclusion Order of one month is too 'light' considering the fact that I have suffered for more than two years."

• Praise 8