Indonesia to build link bridge between Bintan and Batam

PSP415

wait.... i read the chinese newspaper it says the bridge is link from Batam to Bintan, not to singapore leh   [confused]

TS title not big enough? LoL...

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

I doubt the distant only 7km that take 45min by ferry. Also how vessels going to pass through?

So you thought the link bridge is from sgp to batam? LoL...

You all think whole world revolve around sgp. Maybe in the future sgp will want to build undersea mrt  link to batam. Maybe... [laugh]

I think they will still use the tanah merah ferry terminal as it's relatively close to the airport. Just need to add shuttle bus service to and from ferry terminal to airport terminal.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Penang bridge is 13.5 km.

It's probably a matter of political will.

If everyone can drive to Batam, the Causeway will see a drop in traffic. [laugh]

Penang bridge doesnt block ships going through malacca straits

But a bridge to batam will block the shipping route. Even if in middle part they raised to highest level to allow container ships to pass through, there will be traffic build up for containers

I think its ease of transport connectivity from future T5 to Bintan (short flight or ferry?).

Hence Indonesia wants a link bridge to Batam so that Chinese tourists or tourists visiting Singapore can take advantage of the new connection to shop, eat, whatever on their 2 islands.

Read that this idea first came up in 2004. Thats 15 years ago. They hope to start construction by/in 2020 saying it will take 3-4 years to complete.

Think erhem S$ may be brought up to fund seed the project? U know, ai sand mai?

• Praise 5

The title is misleading. It says "link bridge TO Bintan AND Batam" when it should have been "link bridge BETWEEN Bintan and Batam".

Distance from Singapore to Batam is certainly more than 7km.

Ah yes. U are right.

Sorry guys. Mods, can pls help edit title?

Kam sia many many

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I also think its a ego project,

Bridge only makes sense to me if one island was nearing capacity of its capabilities and expansion is needed.

Anyway be interesting to see how things develop

Batam and Bintan got 7km so close meh ? 

Probably not the tourist areas we go to, me thinks.

Sound like some ego project. 

• Praise 2

Supersonic

I think its ease of transport connectivity from future T5 to Bintan (short flight or ferry?).

Hence Indonesia wants a link bridge to Batam so that Chinese tourists or tourists visiting Singapore can take advantage of the new connection to shop, eat, whatever on their 2 islands.

Read that this idea first came up in 2004. Thats 15 years ago. They hope to start construction by/in 2020 saying it will take 3-4 years to complete.

Think erhem S$ may be brought up to fund seed the project? U know, ai sand mai?

It's very silly to develop your economy based on the goodwill of another nation - esp one like Singapore. Build the bridge based on t5 connection to Batam? Then one day SG suka suka cancel the ferry?

Frankly, i dun think it will take off.

Er, think u mistaken the "suka suka-ness" party. Its the 94 years old guy next door who got track record for the u-turn, no-turn, cannot turn and sometimes half turn half stop.

Goodwill with Singapore is steady one. Just pay only what. They pay us. No surprises there.

But moolah for them will be an issue. 14 years and still must wait till 2020 to start. And the moolah to develop the 2 islands until swee swee no water leak is another pile of moolah. Then attractions on islands?

Think they also planning to move out of Jakarta to a new capital. More moolah needed.

Just my tots

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

(edited)

In 1990s there was indeed a off-the-cuff remark about a bridge connection between Singapore and Batam, especially when Singapore shipyards were desperate to expand on cheap land in Batam. That remained a mere remark and nothing materialized. I don't think it will ever materialize, anyway.

Now a bridge between Batam and Bintan... haven't read alot what the motivation or eventual goal for the bridge is. Bintan is off-limit to heavy industries which are concentrated in Batam. Bintan was all along earmarked for tourism development, even with Singapore companies leasing Northern coast of Bintan for 20-30 tourism development.

Now, the new Bintan airport is in limbo (not sure if construction work has completely stopped). Had a chat with immigation officers while waiting for our boat clearance when I was in Bintan 2 weeks ago, nothing much has changed with a lot of abandoned or postponed tourism projects.

So, what is the bridge for? Just gotta wait to see Indonesia's justification.

Edited by Ravinged
  • Praise 1

In 1990s there was indeed a off-the-cuff remark about a bridge connection between Singapore and Batam, especially when Singapore shipyards were desperate to expand on cheap land in Batam. That remained a mere remark and nothing materialized. I don't think it will ever materialize, anyway.

Now a bridge between Batam and Bintan... haven't read alot what the motivation or eventual goal for the bridge is. Bintan is off-limit to heavy industries which are concentrated in Batam. Bintan was all along earmarked for tourism development, even with Singapore companies leasing Northern coast of Bintan for 20-30 tourism development.

Now, the new Bintan airport is in limbo (not sure if construction work has completely stopped). Had a chat with immigation officers while waiting for our boat clearance when I was in Bintan 2 weeks ago, nothing much has changed with a lot of abandoned or postponed tourism projects.

So, what is the bridge for? Just gotta wait to see Indonesia's justification.

A physical bridge from singapore will only serve to restrict our shipping lanes right?

not to mention any aircraft carriers and warships who might want to transit...

A physical bridge from singapore will only serve to restrict our shipping lanes right?

not to mention any aircraft carriers and warships who might want to transit...

Yah so its not feasible

(edited)

Not at all. Take for example, the Golden Gate Bridge. US aircraft carriers can even go under it. Of course, there are taller ships than aircraft carriers which are the cruise ships. The critical factor will be the under bridge clearance height.

With money of course it can be done. But any cross-border bridge will always see agreement on sharing of cost.

There's also the HK-Zhuhai-Macau bridge, the distance between Singapore and Batam will be way below the HK-Zhuhai-Macau. Considering that Singapore and Batam are quite sheltered from earthquake, it should cost less than the quake-proof in HK. Just my assumption, don't take my words for real.

Another realistic question we need to ask ourselves is - what incentive is there for Singapore to spend on such a bridge. Likely Batam will leech off Singapore rather than the other way round.

Edited by Ravinged
  • Praise 1

About Usd300M for 7km. not really that expensive right?

Think our expressway and mrt can cost much more.

... a bin Centre already cost 800k in Spore..iirc

• Praise 1

I also think its a ego project,

Bridge only makes sense to me if one island was nearing capacity of its capabilities and expansion is needed.

Anyway be interesting to see how things develop

cannot say like that also.

they dun develop we behind talk east. talk west.

they spend money develop. we talk ego , corruption baba , 

very hard to please ppl right? lol

i no expert, but to develop an area, first thing first,road, bridge, transport  must be there.

at least this is 1 big step for them.

• Praise 4

Yah so its not feasible

but there was talk of a malaysia indonesia bridge across malacca straits, there for sure makes economic sense.

but same same... international powers sure torpedo the proposal for security reasons.

https://cilisos.my/the-malaysia-indonesia-bridge-is-being-proposed-again-whyd-it-fail-the-last-3-times/

... a bin Centre already cost 800k in Spore..iirc

then we have a new unit of measurement... the bridge cost est 500 bin centre... (sound like bitcoin..)

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Haha fair point.

My view is more from what I seen either myself or thru my friends, corruption, toxic pollution, loads of available land not planned properly for use, crappy roads and the labor force that is challenging to deal with. I feel the island hasn't reached its potential yet and govt should focus on that before spending on questionable infra. Least when China govt build the Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macau bridge I can see the sense in that since all the connecting cities have already reached high levels of potential.

But anyway just say for fun nia [laugh] , end of the day we just see how things turned out.

cannot say like that also.

they dun develop we behind talk east. talk west.

they spend money develop. we talk ego , corruption baba , 

very hard to please ppl right? lol

i no expert, but to develop an area, first thing first,road, bridge, transport  must be there.

at least this is 1 big step for them.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Think it's a good move by their govt.

Batam got lots of industries and biz parks but no more land, bintan is opposite. With the bridge, bintan will see more investments and skyscrapers like the meisterstadt in Batam.

Also, they are quite good in civil eng.

Batam just completed 6 bridges to connect it's southernmost islands.

Think it's a good move by their govt.

Batam got lots of industries and biz parks but no more land, bintan is opposite. With the bridge, bintan will see more investments and skyscrapers like the meisterstadt in Batam.

Also, they are quite good in civil eng.

Batam just completed 6 bridges to connect it's southernmost islands.

That barelang bridge was an ambitious project and it was built 2 decade ago, was initiated by habibie to transform batam into world class city and compete against sg. But it failed

Now habibie build that meistertadt aim to attract sg investors to get unit there.

And with recent construction boom at johor, indo govt want to develop batam further and one of way to link bintan and batam. Both cities industries and tourism will pick up and challenge johor and even sg

but there was talk of a malaysia indonesia bridge across malacca straits, there for sure makes economic sense.

but same same... international powers sure torpedo the proposal for security reasons.

https://cilisos.my/the-malaysia-indonesia-bridge-is-being-proposed-again-whyd-it-fail-the-last-3-times/

then we have a new unit of measurement... the bridge cost est 500 bin centre... (sound like bitcoin..)

Malaysia and indo not that close and also malacca strait is big and wide. The project will cost a bomb and those two countries cant afford to build one.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2