Vantage Motors Sells BYD

therock

Hmm... a lot to discuss.

On BYD, I think a bit unfair to judge them based on this one model. As pointed out, this E6 has been on sale since 2009, enough to finish one run of COE already. So naturally it feels a bit dated. Their newer models are actually much better. BYD are the world's biggest EV makers, so I think they know what they're doing.

On EVs, I agree that right now the charging infrastructure is a bit lacking, but things are improving definitely, especially since SP is taking the first move to roll out public chargers.

The thing is, Singapore being what it is, home charging will likely be something that few will get to enjoy, given out unique situation where majority lives in public housing. So in this case it's a matter of behaviour adjustment.

If the car can support fast charging, you can genuinely get a full or nearly full charge in an hour or so. The thing is however, you shouldn't treat it like a regular car, where you wait until empty then go and top up. Instead, whenever you come across a public charger, like let's say in shopping centre or commercial building, just plug it in and charge for however long you'll be away. In this way you will probably never get to empty, especially in Singapore where you seldom travel long distances. Most newer EVs can have a range of over 400km now anyway, almost as good as a petrol car that averages 11-12km/L.

Once SP, and maybe other providers, roll out even more fast chargers in more public places, EV driving will actually be less of a headache.

5 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

Hmm... a lot to discuss.

On BYD, I think a bit unfair to judge them based on this one model. As pointed out, this E6 has been on sale since 2009, enough to finish one run of COE already. So naturally it feels a bit dated. Their newer models are actually much better. BYD are the world's biggest EV makers, so I think they know what they're doing.

On EVs, I agree that right now the charging infrastructure is a bit lacking, but things are improving definitely, especially since SP is taking the first move to roll out public chargers.

The thing is, Singapore being what it is, home charging will likely be something that few will get to enjoy, given out unique situation where majority lives in public housing. So in this case it's a matter of behaviour adjustment.

If the car can support fast charging, you can genuinely get a full or nearly full charge in an hour or so. The thing is however, you shouldn't treat it like a regular car, where you wait until empty then go and top up. Instead, whenever you come across a public charger, like let's say in shopping centre or commercial building, just plug it in and charge for however long you'll be away. In this way you will probably never get to empty, especially in Singapore where you seldom travel long distances. Most newer EVs can have a range of over 400km now anyway, almost as good as a petrol car that averages 11-12km/L.

Once SP, and maybe other providers, roll out even more fast chargers in more public places, EV driving will actually be less of a headache.

so which means, next time if  you want to charge your EV, you have To pay per charge and how long you charge is according to meter and you pay what you charge. nothign is for free. even SP comes out with this idea, it is also a making money idea. Electricity now is so expensive, worth it?  

On 9/25/2019 at 7:00 AM, StreamRSZ said:

so which means, next time if  you want to charge your EV, you have To pay per charge and how long you charge is according to meter and you pay what you charge. nothign is for free. even SP comes out with this idea, it is also a making money idea. Electricity now is so expensive, worth it?  

Electricity is cheaper than petrol though. A full charge on DC current I think won't be more than $50. If you don't wait until empty then recharge (meaning bit by bit) then it's more like $10-20 each time or less.

• Praise 1

Actually given the recent spate of fires caused by PMDs charging, will this be an issue with a few thousand gallons of petrol nearby... 

28 minutes ago, therock said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-electric-cars-charging-points-popularity-12035058

Why aren't we adopting EVs... if you ask me, cost is the main bearbug, followed by the availability of charging stations...

I tell you why.

This one is faster, no need license, insurance, road tax, coe, etc. Cost a whole lot less than what EV.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1