Advice on car accident (car reversed into me)

_Sam_

(edited)

Hi guys,

Need some advice on what is mentioned in the title. I stopped at a traffic light earlier this evening and a car reversed into me for no apparent reason. The damage was mostly cosmetic (at least from what I can see) on the bumper, number plate and the tow hook. Thankfully, the entire event was captured on the dashcam.

The driver said she was willing to settle privately but will decide upon knowing the costs. My car just passed the one year mark a few months back.

Should I bring the car to the AD or a workshop from the list authorized insurance workshops for assessment? Should I claim against her insurance?

Oh right, I should add that the AD is not part of the list of authorized workshops (that is kinda odd). First time encountering this, any advice is appreciated.

Edited by _Sam_
↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

Minor damage, any reputable workshop will do

Private settlement , quotation can be from AD or any workshop since no claim against insurance

Sometimes just take money, pen a mutual agreement and do not need to repair immediately

Be kind and kindness will be returned one day too  [:)]

Hi guys,

Need some advice on what is mentioned in the title. I stopped at a traffic light earlier this evening and a car reversed into me for no apparent reason. The damage was mostly cosmetic (at least from what I can see) on the bumper, number plate and the tow hook. Thankfully, the entire event was captured on the dashcam.

The driver said she was willing to settle privately but will decide upon knowing the costs. My car just passed the one year mark a few months back.

Should I bring the car to the AD or a workshop from the list authorized insurance workshops for assessment? Should I claim against her insurance?

Oh right, I should add that the AD is not part of the list of authorized workshops (that is kinda odd). First time encountering this, any advice is appreciated.

• Praise 12

Minor damage, any reputable workshop will do

Private settlement , quotation can be from AD or any workshop since no claim against insurance

Sometimes just take money, pen a mutual agreement and do not need to repair immediately

Be kind and kindness will be returned one day too  [:)]

Hi @car50

Thanks for the advice! Regarding the private settlement, the insurance company should still be notified yes? I was reading some forums mentioning your renewal premium might go up if you report accidents even if the accidents are clearly not your fault.

Hi guys,

Firstly,

Make sure you safe keep the video footage. Although the other party agrees with private settlement, there are times and others encountered that other party "prata" (twisted the report against the claimant). You will need it and can be submitted to your insurance company if you are claiming.

If you choose to private settle, can don't report (provided the other party honour the private settlement as well without reporting). That is why a private settlement agreement should be drafted and signed by both parties.

Yes, I had friend who reported accident for his previous car but settled privately, end up the insurance company branded him as "accident prone" driver and loaded his insurance premium for his new car which I had verified with SMWA. So my friend wrote in to the insurance company to KPKB before they rebate a portion of his premiums. Do note that this is subjective to different insurance companies. There is always a certain level of risk in reporting and private settle (having the risk of other party "prata" or being loaded by insurance company).

On your question of AD is not under the list of authorised workshop, yes it can be the case. There are usually 2 kinds of insurance:-

1. Authorised workshops

2. Any workshop

It depends on your insurance company and the premium paid. For your case, you only need to go to authorised workshops if you are claiming your own insurance.

If you are settling it privately, or claiming 3rd party, it does not matters. Depending on your comfort level and costs (since the other party is paying), you can do at any reputable workshop or your own AD. My suggestion is that you get quote from both your AD and a reputable workshop and compare price and decide. If the other party is not willing to fork out the money, (based on my guess although your car is 1 year+ I believed AD gives 3 years warranty), I would go back to the AD for repairs if you are claiming 3rd party insurance.

Hope this helps.

• Praise 8

Firstly,

Make sure you safe keep the video footage. Although the other party agrees with private settlement, there are times and others encountered that other party "prata" (twisted the report against the claimant). You will need it and can be submitted to your insurance company if you are claiming.

If you choose to private settle, can don't report (provided the other party honour the private settlement as well without reporting). That is why a private settlement agreement should be drafted and signed by both parties.

Yes, I had friend who reported accident for his previous car but settled privately, end up the insurance company branded him as "accident prone" driver and loaded his insurance premium for his new car which I had verified with SMWA. So my friend wrote in to the insurance company to KPKB before they rebate a portion of his premiums. Do note that this is subjective to different insurance companies. There is always a certain level of risk in reporting and private settle (having the risk of other party "prata" or being loaded by insurance company).

On your question of AD is not under the list of authorised workshop, yes it can be the case. There are usually 2 kinds of insurance:-

1. Authorised workshops

2. Any workshop

It depends on your insurance company and the premium paid. For your case, you only need to go to authorised workshops if you are claiming your own insurance.

If you are settling it privately, or claiming 3rd party, it does not matters. Depending on your comfort level and costs (since the other party is paying), you can do at any reputable workshop or your own AD. My suggestion is that you get quote from both your AD and a reputable workshop and compare price and decide. If the other party is not willing to fork out the money, (based on my guess although your car is 1 year+ I believed AD gives 3 years warranty), I would go back to the AD for repairs if you are claiming 3rd party insurance.

Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks bro for the comprehensive explanation. It sure answered a lot of questions. First time encounter accident, kalang kabo.

Cheers

Hi guys,

Hi TS,

I did a private settlement some 5 years back, however did heard of some dishonest people around hence took advise from my peers.

What I did was:

- Reported the incident to my insurance and told them, me and the other party would like to settle privately (So they can keep records and protect you if the other party choose to prata) 

- Keep your evidence and proof safely stored in laptop / cloud / hand phone till the case is done, for me I left it in my lap top for 3 years.

- Get quotation from whichever workshop you prefer

- My insurer back then, sent me a private settlement form/agreement which need to print 2 copies and sign and acknowledged by both. (The agreement contains both NRIC/Veh.no/time&date&place of accident and amount. Only sign once you have received the money.

But I am not too sure if there are changes now. Hope this helps.

• Praise 5

(edited)

Thank you both @Jster and @Showster for your advice.

I decided to report the accident to insurance (NTUC motor service centre at Ubi) but settle privately. According to the person taking my statement, he said if its not the driver's fault, the premium and NCD should not be affected. Keyword being *should*. If one decides to claim 3rd party, he said you will still have to go the authorized workshop. The workshop will handle everything from there (provided its a clear cut case).

The other driver had a passenger with her so didnt want to take the risk the passenger claim for medical fees and whatnot. For the benefit of others visiting this post, will update again once the case closed.

Again many thanks to all who contributed, you guys really helped allayed my worries.

Edited by _Sam_
  • Praise 2

Hi TS,

I did a private settlement some 5 years back, however did heard of some dishonest people around hence took advise from my peers.

What I did was:

- Reported the incident to my insurance and told them, me and the other party would like to settle privately (So they can keep records and protect you if the other party choose to prata) 

- Keep your evidence and proof safely stored in laptop / cloud / hand phone till the case is done, for me I left it in my lap top for 3 years.

- Get quotation from whichever workshop you prefer

- My insurer back then, sent me a private settlement form/agreement which need to print 2 copies and sign and acknowledged by both. (The agreement contains both NRIC/Veh.no/time&date&place of accident and amount. Only sign once you have received the money.

But I am not too sure if there are changes now. Hope this helps.

Keep the evidence and agreement for 6 years, advised by my insurance when I did a private settlement with a taxi. 

• Praise 1

When claiming against 3rd party, you DONT NEED to go to authorized workshop. 

Authorized workshop only when claiming OWN DAMAGE. 

• Praise 1

Hi guys,

a car rolled back into me at a traffic light some years back. guess he had the habit of putting his car into N at traffic lights.

event captured on dash cam, he agreed to private settle at my workshop, we drove there, assessed the estimated cost and he paid cash.

we both signed a standard letter (workshop used to handling such cases) for no further liabilities and end of matter.

btw, driver chio or not ?  [:p]

When claiming against 3rd party, you DONT NEED to go to authorized workshop. 

Authorized workshop only when claiming OWN DAMAGE. 

Hmm, if what you say is true then the NTUC guy is scamming me?  [confused]

a car rolled back into me at a traffic light some years back. guess he had the habit of putting his car into N at traffic lights.

event captured on dash cam, he agreed to private settle at my workshop, we drove there, assessed the estimated cost and he paid cash.

we both signed a standard letter (workshop used to handling such cases) for no further liabilities and end of matter.

btw, driver chio or not ?  [:p]

Ya I guess the silver lining in such cases is you meet someone with honour/integrity. Worst kind of cases is both say dont report then one person go bao tou and claim insurance then jialat.

Its a middle aged lady. She will be chio if you are into tomboys  [laugh]

Keep the evidence and agreement for 6 years, advised by my insurance when I did a private settlement with a taxi. 

I see, thank you for sharing, I thought keep 3 years as thats the usual time whereby insurance will so call "reset" the records.

I also thought 3 years but was told legally and very often (especially taxi) the other party could dig up old case and try something funny in the later part of the years. That is why the customer service officer advised to keep for 6 years just to be safe. 

I also thought 3 years but was told legally and very often (especially taxi) the other party could dig up old case and try something funny in the later part of the years. That is why the customer service officer advised to keep for 6 years just to be safe. 

Limitation statute provide up to 6 years to seek restitution.

• Praise 1

He isnt scamming you, he knows nothing.

Ya I guess the silver lining in such cases is you meet someone with honour/integrity. Worst kind of cases is both say dont report then one person go bao tou and claim insurance then jialat.

Its a middle aged lady. She will be chio if you are into tomboys  [laugh]

Whenever there is a reverse case, roll back case, if there arent any camera, always keep a small notebook in car, make the other party admit liability and draft a simple agreement to say he/she admit fault and sign. Else, get he/she to indicate location and time of accident and send via SMS with he/she admitting liability.

With such acknowledgement he/she wont be able to counter claim.

He isnt scamming you, he knows nothing.

Whenever there is a reverse case, roll back case, if there arent any camera, always keep a small notebook in car, make the other party admit liability and draft a simple agreement to say he/she admit fault and sign. Else, get he/she to indicate location and time of accident and send via SMS with he/she admitting liability.

With such acknowledgement he/she wont be able to counter claim.

Yeah I learnt my lesson in this; put private settlement forms in the car. At best can use it for private settlement, at worst use it as a notepad.

Plan to help my mom install a dashcam in her car too. Super important for cases like this.

(edited)

Thank you both @Jster and @Showster for your advice.

I decided to report the accident to insurance (NTUC motor service centre at Ubi) but settle privately. According to the person taking my statement, he said if its not the driver's fault, the premium and NCD should not be affected. Keyword being *should*. If one decides to claim 3rd party, he said you will still have to go the authorized workshop. The workshop will handle everything from there (provided its a clear cut case).

The other driver had a passenger with her so didnt want to take the risk the passenger claim for medical fees and whatnot. For the benefit of others visiting this post, will update again once the case closed.

Again many thanks to all who contributed, you guys really helped allayed my worries.

So to complete the story, the other driver did make good on her word and traveled down to the workshop to pay for the repairs. We also both signed a private settlement form to close the case.

Since she was sincere about the repairs, I didnt follow the workshop's recommendation to replace the entire bumper just because of a small dent. I just told them to knock out the dent and respray the affected area. For the price they charged to replace the entire bumper, I could have bought 3 of the same bumpers in JB (with installation) and still have change. The labour costs in SG is ridiculously exorbitant.

I collected my car today after 3 days down time, the front now looks and feels like new after the respray!

Edited by _Sam_
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6