Suggestions for aircon for 4-room HDB flat

StreetFight3r

dear bros here. i need some help for my mum's old HDB 4 room flat.

existing:

spoilt casement aircon in 1 room that is rented out

*planning to install system 2 aircon for the 2 other rooms. any recommendations for aircon brands/models?*

Criteria will be:

1. not too expensive. is it possible for system 2 to be below $2000?
  2. low energy consumption.
  3. reliable.

as the house doesn't come with any existing aircon except the casement aircon may i know an estimate of the labor cost to fit in a system 2? 

↡ Advertisement

existing:

*planning to install system 2 aircon for the 2 other rooms. any recommendations for aircon brands/models?*

Criteria will be:

3. reliable.

as the house doesn't come with any existing aircon except the casement aircon may i know an estimate of the labor cost to fit in a system 2? 

i think few hundred dollars for labour. They need to dismantle the casement unit then install metal ledge outside to hold compressor. usually done over few days. Paint over and cover etc...

my parents place do before. 

Ask the AC company to quote you bah. Pretty straight forward for them, the older HDBs all do before...

(edited)

The old design kinda flat does it come with the concrete aircon ledge? If no existing ledge, you will have a couple of issues installing a split unit.

Install one room with window unit and another with casement unit. Cost wise can be under 2K depending on the brand you choose. Energy consumption is depending on usage. Reliability is depending on the user keeping it clean.

Edited by Watwheels

(edited)

The old design kinda flat does it come with the concrete aircon ledge? If no existing ledge, you will have a couple of issues installing a split unit.

Install one room with window unit and another with casement unit. Cost wise can be under 2K depending on the brand you choose. Energy consumption is depending on usage. Reliability is depending on the user keeping it clean.

Window units are really noisy. I would know ... i lived with 3 separate units for more than 15 years.

noise level wise, 

Inverter multisplit > non-inverter multisplit > casement unit >> window unit >> portable AC

Unless you're very used to it, there's no way u can sleep with it. In fact after i left the homes of both my parents and my in laws place (I installed one for my wife's room when the baby was doing confinement there), no one has ever used the window units cos of the noise.

Edited by Lala81

existing:

Criteria will be:

3. reliable.

When you said 1 room rented out got a spoilt casement unit, do you plan to repair or replace it?

It is difficult to rent out room(s) or whole flat now if there's no aircon, so my suggestion is to take the chance to install a new system 3 split unit for the 3 rooms, replacing the spoilt casement unit too.

This will enhance the attractiveness of the room when the lease is next up for renewal.

There are sometimes good offers that are reasonably cheap. For new installation, the sellers usually will remove the old system, if any, FOC.

If you want good and cheap, then i can't guarantee. I do know of a local brand whose system 3 was around $2,200. But not sure about reliability. It's inverter type, so consumption should be not too bad...

Anyway, the brand is Trentios. Sold in (a few) Giant and NTUC xtra.

i think few hundred dollars for labour. They need to dismantle the casement unit then install metal ledge outside to hold compressor. usually done over few days. Paint over and cover etc...

my parents place do before. 

Ask the AC company to quote you bah. Pretty straight forward for them, the older HDBs all do before...

i actually thought of just leaving the spoilt casement aircon there and installing new split aircon for the other 2 rooms w/o aircon. too many aircons to choose from abit confusing. recently also keep seeing daikin advertisement on tv. but seems expensive. maybe some bros here got recommendations easier for me to shortlist.  [smallcry]

When you said 1 room rented out got a spoilt casement unit, do you plan to repair or replace it?

It is difficult to rent out room(s) or whole flat now if there's no aircon, so my suggestion is to take the chance to install a new system 3 split unit for the 3 rooms, replacing the spoilt casement unit too.

This will enhance the attractiveness of the room when the lease is next up for renewal.

There are sometimes good offers that are reasonably cheap. For new installation, the sellers usually will remove the old system, if any, FOC.

If you want good and cheap, then i can't guarantee. I do know of a local brand whose system 3 was around $2,200. But not sure about reliability. It's inverter type, so consumption should be not too bad...

Anyway, the brand is Trentios. Sold in (a few) Giant and NTUC xtra.

was intending to leave it as it is. but also thought of the fact my mum can rent out that room at a higher price if got aircon for next tenant. current tenant only paying $300/mth for that room. and if install system 2 only, next time wanna install aircon for the other room it will nt be possible liao. not exactly expecting cheap and good cos cant expect best of both worlds but at least reasonable enough. did a few searches before posting here many prices. in the 3k 4k range. from harvey norman, courts, best denki, gaincity.... but the best is ask some bros here for advice

i actually thought of just leaving the spoilt casement aircon there and installing new split aircon for the other 2 rooms w/o aircon. too many aircons to choose from abit confusing. recently also keep seeing daikin advertisement on tv. but seems expensive. maybe some bros here got recommendations easier for me to shortlist.  [smallcry]

if i recall correctly, the metal ledge for the compressor is usually placed outside where the old casement unit is. main reason is that it's actually feasible to open it up and do any repairs if the compressor up lorry or needs to be changed. They don't do from the window one.

My parents block, all the AC ledges are still at the old casement unit area for all the neighbours.

none at all bro from my knowledge. if want to install need to do everythin from scratch. casement unit dont want liao. either just leave it or totally remove and install system 3. still deciding. need to see my mums usage. she seldom use aircon. she gt this thinking on aircon means electricity bill shoot up. 

Twincharged
(edited)

existing:

Criteria will be:

3. reliable.

I just replaced mine with a new Panasonic system 2 (5 ticks) in March … $2055 - $100 = $1955.

so if lesser ticks, would be cheaper.

cheapest so far is either Midea or Trentios. have to do your own research for your #3 liow.

Edited by Ysc3

existing:

Criteria will be:

3. reliable.

Since wanting to change the air-con, why change only 2 rooms ?  :slow:

Its the same dusty & noisy works, might well change all 3 rooms. If not, later you want to install that room and you have to pay further labour charges.

Change all three a one go.    [smash]

Turbocharged

existing:

Criteria will be:

3. reliable.

Bro...my suggestion...

Forget about the casement aircon. Do one time with all 3 new split unit air-cons.  I have done so many tenancy with casement/windows aircon and those always breakdown or noisy......good profile tenants will not want to stay in a room like that.

A better aircon system will  attract better profile tenants.....not just about able to command higher rent. The profile of the tenant is actually more important than the rental price when comes to tenancy.

If budget is a concern, can go for Midea but see if they give a longer warranty or get the seller to throw in free first year servicing or some other freebies.

• Praise 1

honestly, even if budget is concern.... how much cheaper can a lousy air con cost.... at most save a couple of hundreds.

since it is for rental, do 1 time do swee swee then every month collect rental... no need worry this or that....

• Praise 1

existing:

Criteria will be:

• not too expensive. is it possible for system 2 to be below $2000?
  • low energy consumption.
  • reliable.
Mitsubshi starmex

Mitsubshi starmex

yup no regret.

My AC is almost coming to 6 years old, and used at least 340+ days per year (only not on when I'm on holiday essentially).

Daikin is quite a workhorse at my clinics, but in terms of quietness (for the more basic models), cannot rival Starmex 

• Praise 3

yup no regret.

My AC is almost coming to 6 years old, and used at least 340+ days per year (only not on when I'm on holiday essentially).

Daikin is quite a workhorse at my clinics, but in terms of quietness (for the more basic models), cannot rival Starmex

Daikin harder to clean but i feel daikin more cold. But thats because starmex is 5 ticks and my daikin 4 ticks.

More ticks less cold

(edited)

Daikin harder to clean but i feel daikin more cold. But thats because starmex is 5 ticks and my daikin 4 ticks.

More ticks less cold

Daikin my clinic one has problems sometimes with water leaks and air not cold. But i suspect it's more of the installation was not done properly and the pipe keeps clogging.

But it still keeps functioning despite chemical washes etc.

Its already 9 years old and basically being used 15-16 hrs a day with only some repairs here and there along the way for above.

But not worth the premium over starmex.

Edited by Lala81

I agree with Bro Icedbs. Just change all in one go since you are looking for inverter unit. Go with the mainstream brands like Mitsubishi, Daikin or Panasonic. Maintaining them in future will be easier as spare parts availability is not a problem. 

My current LG aircon has a faulty mainboard and my technician said they can't locate any spare part and the cost of changing it will be more than a new unit. 

↡ Advertisement