Something to get off my Chest About Mercedes Cars

Heartlander

As someone from low income background, I never pay attention to Mercedes cars throughout my growing up years. My first glimpse of a Mercedes car was when I went my classmate's house when I was primary 1 and saw this beautiful car with pointed star outside his house, and also saw washing machines and big television and a lot of loose change in his house. Strangely I did not feel bad about myself then, though I did feel bad about myself after a few years when I became aware of this social divide and recalled this incident haha..

Ok fast forward to now. Recent years I can't help but notice that Mercedes cars look alike internally especially the front part around the dashboard and the door knobs. It is about almost the same look, from the lowly A class to the mighty S class with the same design language.  I know nowadays the design will propagate from S class to A class upwards then to all the other models progressively. I attach a few pictures to illustrate the point. There are slight differences with a few car models as they are undergoing slight facelift, and expected to be the same when they undergo full model change later.

Has it always been like that? I have not seen other car makers adopting such a approach, so extensively. Frankly after seeing a few, I really have no appetite for another Mercedes if it looks the same despite external differences.

Please share your comments if you have anything on this. Rest assured I am not talking bad about Mercedes cars. I admire this company a lot. Cheers

post-101253-0-32678400-1563889122_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-06363500-1563889132_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-48289800-1563889139_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-02739300-1563889148_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Supercharged
(edited)

As someone from low income background, I never pay attention to Mercedes cars throughout my growing up years. My first glimpse of a Mercedes car was when I went my classmate's house when I was primary 1 and saw this beautiful car with pointed star outside his house, and also saw washing machines and big television and a lot of loose change in his house. Strangely I did not feel bad about myself then, though I did feel bad about myself after a few years when I became aware of this social divide and recalled this incident haha..

Ok fast forward to now. Recent years I can't help but notice that Mercedes cars look alike internally especially the front part around the dashboard and the door knobs. It is about almost the same look, from the lowly A class to the mighty S class with the same design language.  I know nowadays the design will propagate from S class to A class upwards then to all the other models progressively. I attach a few pictures to illustrate the point. There are slight differences with a few car models as they are undergoing slight facelift, and expected to be the same when they undergo full model change later.

Has it always been like that? I have not seen other car makers adopting such a approach, so extensively. Frankly after seeing a few, I really have no appetite for another Mercedes if it looks the same despite external differences.

Please share your comments if you have anything on this. Rest assured I am not talking bad about Mercedes cars. I admire this company a lot. Cheers

No matter what you and I feel - they still sell like hot cakes all over the globe. That's all that matters to the company.

Edited by t0y0ta
  • Praise 1

No matter what you and I feel - they still sell like hot cakes all over the globe. That's all that matters to the company.

Definitely. But i am not sure if this common design across the models concept, has it been there all the while?

Will it not dilute the excitement for consumers over the next facelift of any models, knowing that it will look almost the same as the first models adopting the new design language? And will it not affect people buying different models, why buy from Mercedes if look the same internally?

To me it is either the engineers are brilliant or plain lazy, depending on your perspective haha.

first time driving a merc when I rented a c class... cannot find the gear shift at first, really lolz.

From the photos, looks like the gear shift is also not where it is usually found in those models

Well, mercedes has lots of loyalists, particulary with families that will always have this brand for several generations. This could be a reason why the dashboard design is similar all this while, based on loyal customers' feedback and preferences. User's familarity.

• Praise 1

Ok fast forward to now. Recent years I can't help but notice that Mercedes cars look alike internally especially the front part around the dashboard and the door knobs. It is about almost the same look, from the lowly A class to the mighty S class with the same design language.

I know nowadays the design will propagate from S class to A class upwards then to all the other models progressively.

I attach a few pictures to illustrate the point. There are slight differences with a few car models as they are undergoing slight facelift, and expected to be the same when they undergo full model change later.

Mercedes is doing what bmw and audi is doing, same design for all model but diff size, pricing and features. That would save design fee and create a more standardised distinctive look
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

Definitely. But i am not sure if this common design across the models concept, has it been there all the while?

Will it not dilute the excitement for consumers over the next facelift of any models, knowing that it will look almost the same as the first models adopting the new design language? And will it not affect people buying different models, why buy from Mercedes if look the same internally?

To me it is either the engineers are brilliant or plain lazy, depending on your perspective haha.

I sat before in friends' cars and had detailed look at interior of both the current C (pre-facelift) and S (pre-facelift). 

From JPEG looks similar but significant differences in real life.

But both have generally great material selection and build quality although obviously S is much higher grade. Many areas I rate above my Lexus or equivalent BMW.

I think that is key to them retaining their customers.

The different model are meant for different customer with different needs. A class would serve a couple, c class a small fam, e class a fam and s class for towkays.

1 almost similar design for all different models would save alot R&D cost and maintain that mercedes look, so at one glance people can recognise its mercedes

And they adopt a similar same safe design, a design that everyone will like

The current tail lights of the C, E and S class are exactly the same. Need to go nearer then look at model stuck on the boot then will know.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Yes. It's the brand's design language and identity and it should apply across the entire range for each generation of cars. All the big brands do it. It might look the same from the smallest to the biggest, but there are enough differences to set them apart.

For MB, the S class cars set the tone for every generation and then filter through the entire range from there. To see a new design language take place, you will have to wait for the new S class. Not just face-lift. It has always been like that.

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

It depend how much of a car lover you are. For me, it is about reliability a d comfort. Of course value for money. So, frankly, i can't even remember how my car interior or external look if you ask me to compare. It has steering wheel, some meters and switches for sure. Haha

The current tail lights of the C, E and S class are exactly the same. Need to go nearer then look at model stuck on the boot then will know.

Yeah, nowadays i can't tell them apart when view from behind, to me either it's a c or e and e or s but bcos they look the same, i can't really 100% differentiate between these 3 models..

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Older Mercedes Benz,theW201, W124,W126 the Dashboard & the centre console also look almost the same. :mellow:

Interior design language is very consistent across the marque, whether it's an AMG supercar or an A class entry level hatch or an E class ah pek mobile.

Pretty much the same with BMW, but at least their M cars are immediately distinguishable via the interior. Different gear knob, functionally different steering etc. It's not just a matter of badges or stitching.

At the end of the day, ergonomics and functionality are more important. When I look at something like the COMAND (no misspelling) module in the Merc, I feel it falls short of even the basic iDrive in the BMW. So that may be a consideration.

I'm not going to talk about Audi. Never owned one. Probably never will. Never found them impressive.

If you're talking about "lazy" design look no further than Porsche. Even the body hasn't changed for decades. Boring as f**k.

• Praise 4

Supersonic

first time driving a merc when I rented a c class... cannot find the gear shift at first, really lolz.

From the photos, looks like the gear shift is also not where it is usually found in those models

So where is the gear shift? Lol.

Supersonic

First read the title thread n thot it was gonna be a rant

Then read the first para n thot maybe it was gonna be a deep reflection on social inequality instead

Reading further, found its actually about comparing MB knobs and buttons.....lol

• Praise 6

Apple iphone 6, iphone 7 iphone X....ipad... also got similar interface right ?

User familiarity -  so that you no need to spend 2 hours on the user manual for each change.

↡ Advertisement