Something to get off my Chest About Mercedes Cars

Heartlander

(edited)

first time driving a merc when I rented a c class... cannot find the gear shift at first, really lolz.

same here, first time using gear stalk on the GLA  !  [laugh] I was like "KNN, where is the freaking gearstick?" 

Yeah, nowadays i can't tell them apart when view from behind, to me either it's a c or e and e or s but bcos they look the same, i can't really 100% differentiate between these 3 models..

ditto for Audi. A3/4/5/7 .............. from far behind all same same  :D

Edited by Othello
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Apple iphone 6, iphone 7 iphone X....ipad... also got similar interface right ?

User familiarity -  so that you no need to spend 2 hours on the user manual for each change.

Same same but different. For me, iPhone is even worse as different models over the years look almost the same inside and outside. Frankly I am not sure the apple folks are sleeping well at night knowing that there will come a time when their edge on touch superiority will be overtaken, and by then consumer will not have such interests in their products. Look at Nokia in the recent past.

volvo is the same. Once you are used to the volvo cockpit setup, you can pop into any volvo and feels comfortable straightaway. Keys levels and their functions are all same same

Supersonic

Right side beside steering like the signal stick.

I see. These luxury cars i would never know how to operate the car de, even you ask me to steal the car i also dont know how to start and move off the car. Lol.

Same same but different. For me, iPhone is even worse as different models over the years look almost the same inside and outside. Frankly I am not sure the apple folks are sleeping well at night knowing that there will come a time when their edge on touch superiority will be overtaken, and by then consumer will not have such interests in their products. Look at Nokia in the recent past.

For Apple, it's not the hardware, it's that their millions of users are already invested into the Apple play/apps ecosystem that switching to Android is going to cost more than just the price of a phone.

Hypersonic

wah...i peasant cannot afford these atas branded car

if one day i can get to sit in one, i promise i wont hiam the car ok?

:D 

• Praise 2

As someone from low income background, I never pay attention to Mercedes cars throughout my growing up years. My first glimpse of a Mercedes car was when I went my classmate's house when I was primary 1 and saw this beautiful car with pointed star outside his house, and also saw washing machines and big television and a lot of loose change in his house. Strangely I did not feel bad about myself then, though I did feel bad about myself after a few years when I became aware of this social divide and recalled this incident haha..

Ok fast forward to now. Recent years I can't help but notice that Mercedes cars look alike internally especially the front part around the dashboard and the door knobs. It is about almost the same look, from the lowly A class to the mighty S class with the same design language.  I know nowadays the design will propagate from S class to A class upwards then to all the other models progressively. I attach a few pictures to illustrate the point. There are slight differences with a few car models as they are undergoing slight facelift, and expected to be the same when they undergo full model change later.

Has it always been like that? I have not seen other car makers adopting such a approach, so extensively. Frankly after seeing a few, I really have no appetite for another Mercedes if it looks the same despite external differences.

Please share your comments if you have anything on this. Rest assured I am not talking bad about Mercedes cars. I admire this company a lot. Cheers

I suggest you sit and drive all of them and the differences would become  obvious. You cannot tell much of the car by just looking and comparing dashboards.

And you will fall in love with at least some of them, I am sure.

I suggest you sit and drive all of them and the differences would become  obvious. You cannot tell much of the car by just looking and comparing dashboards.

if he fall in love, he has to sell his 2 x B class and buy another 2 x C/E/S/GLB/GLC/GLE  [laugh]  [:p]

(edited)

if he fall in love, he has to sell his 2 x B class and buy another 2 x C/E/S/GLB/GLC/GLE [laugh][:p]

Oh, I vaguely remember someone who bought 2 xB class. So he's the one.

Maybe he's getting tired of having the same same daily. Time to inject some challenge & excitement in his daily drive by alternating between a merc & a bmw. This will surely keep his mind nimble with the switch in placements of different controls. Lol...

Edited by TameDriver

Supersonic

Oh, I vaguely remember someone who bought 2 xB class. So he's the one.

Maybe he's getting tired of having the same same daily. Time to inject some challenge & excitement in his daily drive by alternating between a merc & a bmw. This will surely keep his mind nimble with the switch in placements of different controls. Lol...

If lunch & dinner everyday eat same chicken rice, no matter how delicious one finds it, sure sainz in no time
  • Praise 1

No lah, I am just a poor peasant cannot afford most of them. Moreover look is important as after awhile when you get bored with the look, your backside will be itchy.

The reason for my 'rant' has been that the last 2 years I keen on Merces and started to read up on their models and am surprised at how each of the models released got the almost same look from the  recently released sibling model. I understand all along that other makes like Kia have the signature grill or something to establish the common design look across the family, but to have the same cockpit design really blows my mind. Now fellow mcfers have shared that Audi and BMW also have the same approach. As someone from product R&D background, I can understand the cost saving aspect to adopt such a practice, but from consumer perspective will they not get bore if their model is always the last few models to get updated, and they keep seeing the other models being released with the same look over and over again and getting numbed so when their model finallyget refreshed they will not feel anything as they could have drawn the design themselves? 

For me, new model change is always something exciting, some special event to look forward to. I really enjoy seeing the drastic exterior and interior changes to the old model and the new features from the scoop reports etc. I will not like to be able to imagine how the next model will look like base on the first in the family that has been morphed, really kill the joy don't you think? I can still remember the first time the 2015 Alphard/Vellfire was announced and I was floored by the dramatic change and telling myself this was the model to get despite my abhorrence on its previous iteration which was very van-like.

Good thing this approach seems confined to only conti cars for now. Other car makers like Jap and Kor car makers are still keeping each of their models distinct. 

if he fall in love, he has to sell his 2 x B class and buy another 2 x C/E/S/GLB/GLC/GLE  [laugh]  [:p]

No lah. Where got money to do that. Anyway I only driving 1 of them all the time, so does not matter even if I buy 10. Different case if the rest are week-end use or occasional use like some of the atas people here.

If lunch & dinner everyday eat same chicken rice, no matter how delicious one finds it, sure sainz in no time

This applies to every or almost all car owners lah. Think not many can afford to have 7 cars in the garage to drive different one everyday of the week.  [laugh]

Yalor. Must try something different or else won't know there are much nicer & nutritious food available.

Same for our brain, need new challenges to delay degeneration.

Yalor. Must try something different or else won't know there are much nicer & nutritious food available.

Same for our brain, need new challenges to delay degeneration.

hahaha, then very simple. get japanese car and euro/korean car and drive alternate days

Everyday switch wiper on when doing turn signals  [laugh]

• Praise 4

Hypersonic

wah ....new classification in mcf

middle class 500k per annum

poor peasant has 2xB class merc and changes cars every 1-2 years, live landed property and buys msw durians by the basket

now i cannot call myself peasant le.....just 165kg storeman will do

[dizzy]  :D 

• Praise 2

No lah, I am just a poor peasant cannot afford most of them. Moreover look is important as after awhile when you get bored with the look, your backside will be itchy.

The reason for my 'rant' has been that the last 2 years I keen on Merces and started to read up on their models and am surprised at how each of the models released got the almost same look from the  recently released sibling model. I understand all along that other makes like Kia have the signature grill or something to establish the common design look across the family, but to have the same cockpit design really blows my mind. Now fellow mcfers have shared that Audi and BMW also have the same approach. As someone from product R&D background, I can understand the cost saving aspect to adopt such a practice, but from consumer perspective will they not get bore if their model is always the last few models to get updated, and they keep seeing the other models being released with the same look over and over again and getting numbed so when their model finallyget refreshed they will not feel anything as they could have drawn the design themselves? 

For me, new model change is always something exciting, some special event to look forward to. I really enjoy seeing the drastic exterior and interior changes to the old model and the new features from the scoop reports etc. I will not like to be able to imagine how the next model will look like base on the first in the family that has been morphed, really kill the joy don't you think? I can still remember the first time the 2015 Alphard/Vellfire was announced and I was floored by the dramatic change and telling myself this was the model to get despite my abhorrence on its previous iteration which was very van-like.

Good thing this approach seems confined to only conti cars for now. Other car makers like Jap and Kor car makers are still keeping each of their models distinct. 

No lah. Where got money to do that. Anyway I only driving 1 of them all the time, so does not matter even if I buy 10. Different case if the rest are week-end use or occasional use like some of the atas people here.

This applies to every or almost all car owners lah. Think not many can afford to have 7 cars in the garage to drive different one everyday of the week.  [laugh]

"I am just a poor peasant cannot afford most of them."

"Other car makers like Jap and Kor car makers are still keeping each of their models distinct."

In that case, suggest you spend your limited precious time, cracking your head, on Japanese and Korean cars. 

wah ....new classification in mcf

middle class 500k per annum

poor peasant has 2xB class merc and changes cars every 1-2 years, live landed property and buys msw durians by the basket

now i cannot call myself peasant le.....just 165kg storeman will do

[dizzy]  :D

mcf is srs bizness

↡ Advertisement