advice for a 'new' car buyer?

Wryan

Neutral Newbie

Hi all! I cant post a new topic yet but I am actually looking to get a used car. My idea is that I wanna get from point a to b. I'm not sure if i should get a 5 year old car, renewed COE car or even,just save up some more and get a brand new one since COE prices will be dropping (correct me if I'm wrong please). Cause generally whenever recession hits, COE prices will drop right (??)

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Hi all! I cant post a new topic yet but I am actually looking to get a used car. My idea is that I wanna get from point a to b. I'm not sure if i should get a 5 year old car, renewed COE car or even,just save up some more and get a brand new one since COE prices will be dropping (correct me if I'm wrong please). Cause generally whenever recession hits, COE prices will drop right (??)

whats ur driving experience? if u just got ur license getting a COE car would make a practical first time car. no heartaches for all the potential bumps & kisses u inevitably will get

Edited by alfakidz85
  • Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

whats ur driving experience? if u just got ur license getting a COE car would make a practical first time car. no heartaches for all the potential bumps & kisses u inevitably will get

I've gotten my license for over a year. Been driving regularly. So far I'll say, (touch wood) I've not kissed or bumped anything. What I'm afraid is that COE car maintenance would just eat into whatever that I could have "potentially" saved from buying a cheap car...

Supersonic

I've gotten my license for over a year. Been driving regularly. So far I'll say, (touch wood) I've not kissed or bumped anything. What I'm afraid is that COE car maintenance would just eat into whatever that I could have "potentially" saved from buying a cheap car...

If ur main objective is a comfy, reliable A to B car, forget abt COE cars and just buy a basic new Avante w 6k+ depre w a 5-yr warranty. Does the job perfectly and life is good
  • Praise 3

5yo cars are out cos 5 years ago coe is very high.

Renewed coe car preferably recently renew at around 30 odd K. More troublesome since have to do car inspection annually, not foc also. Existing car issues etc. But it's cheaper than a brand new car.

New car is depending on your budget. Worry free with free servicing and stuff. Down side is you are paying a lot more.

Other than setting a budget look at your priorities.

On average how much mileage do you achieve? Ask yourself is a car really a necessity or luxury. 

Family priorities if any. 

Barang barang. I see some ppl's car is like a dump truck. All kinds of rubbish in the car. 

Try to stick to your budget and priorities and not get distracted with things that dont matter so much. 

Hi,

Just went through this thought/did some calculations of my own, so maybe I can help out here. 

The main consideration for me at that time was that between a renew COE car (i.e the Avante, or the Honda Fit/Jazz), was that even though the annual depreciation for the COE car was lower, I think that eventually when you factor in F/C differences, servicing costs, the unreliability of an old car, I think that purchasing a new one might make more sense financially.

At the time that I checked, a renewed for 5 years Fit was $30k~, and a new Honda Fit was ~$66k for a new 10 year COE. 

Of course have to factor in things like your interest etc, but for me paying slightly more for the piece of mind was definitely worth it. 

Just my two cents, hope this helps, and I actually do have a more detailed calculation done up if you want it  [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Gosh, didn't expect so much help so quickly. Appreciate all of your input.

I went to turf club to take a look. I was quite smitten by golf and even sicorro. Are those like a horrible choices?

Brand new avante does sound like a good idea!

Used VW - chances of having gearbox issues are higher than with other cars. I would suggest you not be tempted.

Do you have 15k to set aside every year for car and expenses? If yes, go to question 2.

Do you have 30-40k cash? If yes, buy a new car. If not, buy a used car that fulfils the budget figure mentioned above.

• Praise 2

Fast driver buy fast car.

Slow driver buy slow car.

Old driver buy old car.

New driver buy new car.

Old man buy old man car.

Young man buy young man car.

:D

Supersonic

I went to turf club to take a look. I was quite smitten by golf and even sicorro. Are those like a horrible choices?

Unless those VWs u saw are Golf GTi, Golf R or Scirocco R, I wouldn't bother...

(edited)

first time car buyer, please stick to Japanese models, eg Toyota, Honda, Nissan. insurance for such models should be cheaper too as you build up your NCD over the years.

depending on your budget and usage, both 5yo and COE renewed also works, but get the car inspected by AA first before the purchase.

its a major decision, don't rush. 

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 1

If ur main objective is a comfy, reliable A to B car, forget abt COE cars and just buy a basic new Avante w 6k+ depre w a 5-yr warranty. Does the job perfectly and life is good

Good advice! Have to be quick as Cat A COE will probably go up in the short term although the economy might tank.

1)  Need to know your budget ... how much you wanna pay for down payment, how much you intend

to pay for your monthly instalment

2)  Looking to buy a 2 door or 4 door ride

It would be much easier to work on from there where you slowly narrow down the choices .... [nod]

Turbocharged
(edited)

Buy a used car to drive for 5 yrs at <$5K annual dep.

Even with 0% NCD, the 3rd party fire and theft insurance will not be costly.

Build up your driving skills , then get a better car

Perodua MYVI

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=835127&DL=1354

Kia Picanto

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=837868&DL=3580

Edited by Vinceng

Supersonic

Good advice! Have to be quick as Cat A COE will probably go up in the short term although the economy might tank.

Guess Cat A might go up for the few rounds of bidding, then it might come down again.

↡ Advertisement