Schooling fails to make 100m butterfly semis at FINA World Championships

Zxcvb

Turbocharged

.... to me, schooling is always the guy who brought the Olympic gold to Singapore.

Good for him, hope he does well on other stuff if he decide to do something else

agreed but I see it more as HIS personal achievement.

For some reason, Singapore (govt n other persons) are trying to bask in what should be his glory.

• Praise 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJLRxaxwAtg&t=865s

Forward to 14:25 time stamp for the 100m Butterfly heats Joseph School. Chinese commentator said Schooling been worsening ever since his gold medal. Lol.

Sometimes after a monumental achievement, its not easy to sum up that sort of willpower anymore.

I say, just lay off him. He got the gold himself, whatever he does with his life is his choice. None of us had a part to play in his glory, except to proclaim we're Singaporeans. Ha ha

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

Sometimes after a monumental achievement, its not easy to sum up that sort of willpower anymore.

I say, just lay off him. He got the gold himself, whatever he does with his life is his choice. None of us had a part to play in his glory, except to proclaim we're Singaporeans. Ha ha

reminds me of an old joke.

If someone from Scotland does something bad, he's Scottish.

If someone from Scotland does something great, he's from UK

[laugh]

• Praise 2

agreed but I see it more as HIS personal achievement.

For some reason, Singapore (govt n other persons) are trying to bask in what should be his glory.

Schooling did it, without much support from our government. After he won, everyone rushed in to bask in his glory.

So yeah, I agree with you, Schooling is the gold medalist, and the country he's from is Singapore. He won the medal, so what if he didn't win another? Most people will not even get anywhere near competing in the Olympics, let alone win a gold medal. Whatever he does, I'm just glad he won it, and put Singapore on the map as having a gold medal (finally).

That said, I see his Supra video, a bit... hmm~ haha

• Praise 9

Turbocharged

Frankly, that is ok by most of us.

We will be immensely proud if he can but we will always love the fact that he already won an Olympic Gold medal for our nation.

We wish him all the best in his endeavours, whether in swimming or other pursuits in life. His achievement is a major morale booster for many young ppl. He proved that dreams, no matter how far fetched, are possible in reality.

Safe ride

Cheers

Ya Lor. Can always rub it in my Malaysian friends :) Singapore got GOLD

(edited)

Frankly speaking, Joseph Schooling 1st Olympic gold medal is due to a huge stroke of luck. To be fair, when he took home the Oympic gold medal, he did not break any world record or Oympic record that day. To me it is more like the rest of the better swimmers there are just not in top form that day. And he just did everything right, that's why he manages to get the Oympic gold medal.

For him to get another gold medal in the future will require nothing less than a miracle.

PS : He is no doubt a world class swimmer, but there are just a lot of better swimmers than him on the world stage.

Don’t be a clown! Know your facts before you speak!!! 100m butterfly record in Olympic is held by Joseph Schooling! Regardless how a flop he is now we shouldn’t deny his achievement! At least he brings nation pride at international level!!

Did you bring Singapore any pride at u international level!

In life luck is also need to be create by oneself. If he never train that hard in the past, no luck will given to him at Olympic level!!! Thus even he was lucky, his hardwork created the luck for himself

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_records_in_swimming

Edited by D3badge
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

Ya Lor. Can always rub it in my Malaysian friends :) Singapore got GOLD

I am surprised malaysia produced many world beaters like lee chong wei and nicol david but never managed olympic event gold.

He had just made the move back to SG from USA. Total change of environment ..... I think it will be difficult for him to keep up his form. Stay at home with parents is very comfy, and will grow soft. Furthermore, the change in diet, lack of strong competition, will all stack on him.

Usually those asians that are world class athletes in certain sports have no choice but to basically live and train like ang moh if they want to keep up to world standards.

I totally agree. I think maybe not soft but the environment is just not competitive. When Schooling was in Texas, he was living in a swimming world 24/7. There was nothing apart from training, training and competing. I don't think he gets that here in Singapore. There is noone in his class nationally or regionally.

To be honest ... I think Schooling was very very fortunate that Caeleb Dressel had not peaked in 2016. Dressel's breakout season was in 2017 literally 6-8 months after the Summer Olympics. Dressel was a beast in 2017 World Championships second only to Phelps in the number of gold medals won.

• Praise 1

Schooling coming back to Singapore to train is a big mistake.

Singapore sports ecosystem very hard to train a World Champion

In the USA he will compete all the time with people better than him, in school , in regional and national meets

Here in Singapore he is the fastest, who is going to push him?