Different version of 3M Clay Bar

Benchong05

Hi,

Just to share that there are 2 version of 3M Clay Bar in the market, those who have used before the 3M Clay Bar will know that it should come in a block and colour of the clay bar is lighter blue (Left - Photo below).

I happen to get the darker blue version from one of the seller and it does not pick up any dirts at all, it really looks like counterfeit version. Any brothers here encounter before?

post-129209-0-42466500-1564221358_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi,

Just to share that there are 2 version of 3M Clay Bar in the market, those who have used before the 3M Clay Bar will know that it should come in a block and colour of the clay bar is lighter blue (Left - Photo below).

I happen to get the darker blue version from one of the seller and it does not pick up any dirts at all, it really looks like counterfeit version. Any brothers here encounter before?

Seller from carou?

How much cheaper it is to the original?

Did u verify with the seller?

Seller from carou?

How much cheaper it is to the original?

Did u verify with the seller?

Yes, bought from Carousell but seller has a detailing shop though.

There are many sellers who sell this clay bar at different price range from $5 onwards and I also understand from my friend who work in the detailing line, there are 3 factories in China producing this 3M Clay Bar so this dark blue version will be the counterfeit version, that explains why it does not pick up any dirt compared to the lighter blue version.

(edited)

Hi,

I use the light blue one, because it is lighter blue,

I can see dirts easily, and I can feel that the paint surface is smoother after going through rubbing. how do you determine that it does not pick up dirts? By looking at the color ? Its darker blue may not show up contamination on the clay too easily. In fact there is no need for branding, as long as it is clay like, soft and sticky would serve the purpose.

Edited by Ct3833

I use the light blue one, because it is lighter blue,

I can see dirts easily, and I can feel that the paint surface is smoother after going through rubbing. how do you determine that it does not pick up dirts? By looking at the color ? Its darker blue may not show up contamination on the clay too easily. In fact there is no need for branding, as long as it is clay like, soft and sticky would serve the purpose.

Not that it does not show up at the bar but using both colour going thru the rough surface but the dark blue version does not pick up any dirt leaving the surface as rough as before but the lighter blue version works.
  • Praise 1

Not that it does not show up at the bar but using both colour going thru the rough surface but the dark blue version does not pick up any dirt leaving the surface as rough as before but the lighter blue version works.

Thanks for clarifying, so really have differences

Yes, bought from Carousell but seller has a detailing shop though.

There are many sellers who sell this clay bar at different price range from $5 onwards and I also understand from my friend who work in the detailing line, there are 3 factories in China producing this 3M Clay Bar so this dark blue version will be the counterfeit version, that explains why it does not pick up any dirt compared to the lighter blue version.

Looks like the detailing shop is getting sub par product but charging full price.

China is the world leader in counterfeit products. No surprise.

(edited)

I bought mine at about $20 from Autobacs a few years back. You only need a small piece for whole car each time. Just pinch and mould it to resurface during each usage then discard after use.

One entire clay can be used for years, depending how often you clay. I only clay every 3-4 months.

Edited by Optramagnum

I bought mine at about $20 from Autobacs a few years back. You only need a small piece for whole car each time. Just pinch and mould it to resurface during each usage then discard after use.

One entire clay can be used for years, depending how often you clay. I only clay every 3-4 months.

For normal drivers who do not work in Tuas area, you will only clay every 3 months but I work in Tuas so I will need to clay every week or the surface of the paintwork will be very rough.

(edited)

For normal drivers who do not work in Tuas area, you will only clay every 3 months but I work in Tuas so I will need to clay every week or the surface of the paintwork will be very rough.

I see many people cover up their cars in tuas because of the dust from sand blasting from nearby shipyards I supposed, would you consider covering your car too ? The dust are not only corrosive but can be sharp and abrasive too. Edited by Ct3833

I see many people cover up their cars in tuas because of the dust from sand blasting from nearby shipyards I supposed, would you consider covering your car too ? The dust are not only corrosive but can be sharp and abrasive too.

Many of my colleagues will do it for 1 to 2 weeks when they get their new ride but they just lazy and forget about it as it is time consuming and you will need to take out the cover when it is raining then put it back when the rain has stopped.

• Praise 1

Got my Soft 99 ones from NTUC. 

3M ones are more expensive right? $30+

No, nowadays most sellers are selling at around $5 only.

Bought a clay bar from autobacs for 22 dollars. Able to rub away dirt which is not removable by soap. However, I’m not able to remove the rust stain...

↡ Advertisement