Is your worth just based on that “like”?

RadX

it makes a lot of difference if our resident undertaker gives me a praise. That single praise can keep my Tesla going for more than 450 kms on a single charge.

On a serious, those who claim they are not affected are bulls**tting.

I agree. that on some very basic level, the effort you spent typing something means that at least an acknowledgement that someone read it or bothered to like or reply to it is important.

No one posting stuff can be totally immune. If they were, they would be a hermit with their own lives. Or just become the closet lurkers which lurk in every forum. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

on a serious note, it shows the insecurities of the young folks where being accepted is important and need to justify that like.  For eg, if ppl do not like their post, they will be questioned....what gives?

lol...i know lah....

that's why not there is a new coined term "cyber bullying"

• Praise 1

I agree. that on some very basic level, the effort you spent typing something means that at least an acknowledgement that someone read it or bothered to like or reply to it is important.

No one posting stuff can be totally immune. If they were, they would be a hermit with their own lives. Or just become the closet lurkers which lurk in every forum.

As with all, it’s a choice we can make to ignore and choose to move on regardless

In my earlier days I did think it mattered but sooner or later you realise tat there are more important things to bother for than the need to fulfil the likes of others

• Praise 2

As with all, it’s a choice we can make to ignore and choose to move on regardless

In my earlier days I did think it mattered but sooner or later you realise tat there are more important things to bother for than the need to fulfil the likes of others

because you grew older and out grown it mah... [:p]

But having said that, I also agree with some here that its hard to totally ignore it, its how affected we are at the end of the day, some more some less, we all have feelings and emotion. 

For the kids, i guess its more of a recognition thingy, part of growing up, but its now very different from our era. We were confine to a small grp, while they now can bring it across the world.... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

that's because you already numb in receiving too many dislikes

but on a serious note, even this forum promoting the importance of likes

• Praise 2

Its a new era, we will have to get into their world to understand what they are thinking. Its a new way of social acceptance, much like the old days of joining gangs and SS, the feeling of being accepted.

But not all youth behave this way, however I think this grp probably form less than 20%. The normal ones will out grown this thing I guess, after a while it becomes no longer exciting.

My 14 yrs old son doesnt give a damn about the likes and what not on IG. Apart from posting mainly his podium pictures, he only post once in a while when he run a PB or when he gets a new pair of shoes. Other than that his IG is very boring, and most of his classmates are quite similar except for a few attention seekers who will post useless things everyday.

My 2 girls have both outgrown this stage, while they used to whatsapp me to go like their IG posts, the whatsapps have since stopped coming in, and the volume of the IG posts have also slowed down alot.

I guess the up bringing, their self esteem, and the family play an important part.

Those who cannot get it one way, will always try to get it from another way. Those who have it will find it quite hard to understand those who dont have it.. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Maybe your kids have moved to Snapchat or tiktok.

• Praise 1

(edited)

As with all, itâs a choice we can make to ignore and choose to move on regardless

Yup.

Its a personal choice. Its basically a platform to chit chat per se, not much difference to WhatsApp except a far wider reach of users.

Can be immuned after awhile. Its more interesting to gain nuggets of knowledge or having one's prior understanding of a topic expanded, revamped or challenged.

This platform have quite a few ppl well read, experienced and willing to share. Offhand, i can think of at least 2 bros very comfortable with numbers, 5 very durian gian and knowledgeable about cultivars, 1 fantastic with science related issues, 8 with reckless driving matters, 2 gifted photographers, 1 pro with car cams, 2 doctors very humble to share medical advice, 1 temperamental undertaker but kind hearted, oops and majority very tam jiak, typical Singaporean traits.

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 7

(edited)

I think MCF and other sites should break down into XMM Likes and Unker Likes.

Unker Likes not important....

is any Like from me not important hor.

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2

Yes when BB gives me a like.

No when Roger the dodger gives me a dislike. Then I couldn't care less.

BB likes I care a lot.

:D

• Praise 4

No when Roger the dodger gives me a dislike. Then I couldn't care less.

BB likes I care a lot.

bb is this right?  Bukit Brown?

cementry18.jpg

• Praise 1

bb is this right? Bukit Brown?

cementry18.jpg

Hahaha

I am very happy no one knows our secret except me and her.

And I actually support this:

Instagram hides number of 'likes' from users in Australian trial

4990.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=forma

Social media giant says the trial, which rolls out Thursday, will ‘reduce pressure’ on users of the platform

Instagram users in Australia will no longer be able to see how many likes a post has a received under trial changes to “remove pressure” on the digital platform’s users.

Instagram will on Thursday begin rolling out the trial update removing the total number of likes on photos and viewings of videos on user feeds and profiles, and permalink pages.

Users will still be able to see a list of likes on their posts, just not the overall number.

However, the change won’t affect measurement tools for businesses and creators on Instagram, which is owned by social media giant Facebook, and all likes and engagement metrics will still be available in those tools.

The trial update expands on a similar change introduced in Canada in May and will be extended to New Zealand, Japan, Ireland, Italy and Brazil.

The Facebook Australia and New Zealand director of policy, Mia Garlick, said Instagram should be a place where people feel comfortable expressing themselves, rather than judged.

“We hope this test will remove the pressure of how many likes a post will receive, so you can focus on sharing the things you love,” she said in a statement.

“We are now rolling the test out to Australia so we can learn more about how this can benefit people’s experiences on Instagram, and whether this change can help people focus less on likes and more on telling their story.”

Australia was among those countries chosen for the trial because it has a fast-growing, highly engaged community of millions of people on Instagram and a tech-savvy audience.

A decision will be made at a later date on whether or not the update will be made permanent.

Instagram last week introduced two new features aimed at combating bullying on the platform.

BB likes I care a lot.

After so many years, I think I have figured out your "taste" for [gorgeous]  [gorgeous] . So you like BB...

RMybzt7.jpg

BB = Bui Bui a.k.a. Bah Bah :D :D

And let me hazard a guess, your MIL must have look like this, thus you "dislike" her so much [thumbsup]

DZqVVOD.jpg

• Praise 11

After so many years, I think I have figured out your "taste" for . So you like BB...

RMybzt7.jpg

BB = Bui Bui a.k.a. Bah Bah :D :D

And let me hazard a guess, your MIL must have look like this, thus you "dislike" her so much  

DZqVVOD.jpg

Aiyah, click wrongly! should click dislike ! 

Please do not tarnish / destroy the Goddess image of BB in MCF, many hearts will be broken  [laugh]

P/S : @jamesc , can intro your MIL if really look like the lower picture?  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4