TP measure kids on the spot to check height !

Ysc3

Twincharged

Videos of traffic police checking child passengers’ heights stir road rules debate GVGT

It’s normal to see police officers scanning Singapore’s roads at night for speeding motorists or drunk drivers. But to halt vehicles for checks on child passengers’ heights? Not so much.

Videos showing traffic police officers stopping drivers in broad daylight to measure the heights of child passengers in their cars surfaced on Facebook yesterday.

The unusual sight of officers holding measuring tapes against kids who appeared to be around six years old as the adults looked on had piqued the curiosity of many, with all three clips that were posted racking up over 200,000 views accumulatively. It’s unclear where the checks were taking place.

Viewers who commented on the post, shared by Facebook user Huang Jiaxing, pointed out that the officers’ actions seemed to be connected to child safety rules on the road.

Those below the height of 1.35m are required in Singapore to use the child seat or approved adjustable seat belts to lower the risk of accidental injury.

Taxis, however, are exempted from this requirement as it is considered not “reasonable or practical” for parents to carry child seats wherever they go.

But a taxi driver could be fined S$120 and given three demerit points if he or she fails to ensure that the children are in the rear seat. If convicted in court, taxi drivers could be fined up to S$1,000 or jailed for up to three months.

These rules have been around at least since 2011 but are rarely seen being enforced by the traffic police. Coconuts Singapore has reached out to the police for more details on why the checks on child passengers are taking place only now.

Meanwhile, netizens praised authorities for their “good move” on the apparent efforts to ensure child safety on the roads.

↡ Advertisement

I still see those idiotic parents who hold their kids in the front seats....

Nothing wrong with that.

The kids are the air bags.

• Praise 7

Twincharged

Portable and good to use.

https://mifold.com/

Personally I don't see what this product does ...

For one it does not "boost" the states height of the kids.

If you call for Grab family car, this is the child seat they used. Looks uninspiring, but it works .

Supersonic

Children cannot use seatbelt because the seatbelt is too high up. so got 2 ways

Booster - brings the kids higher

Mifold - brings the seatbelt down

• Praise 1

Both equally good but mifold wins in terms of portability. 

Children cannot use seatbelt because the seatbelt is too high up. so got 2 ways

Booster - brings the kids higher

Mifold - brings the seatbelt down

(edited)

Sometimes in the driver seat alone with running engine some more

Edited by mersaylee

Ive even seen the kid standing in the front instead of seated while driving...

Supersonic

They will say they drive slowly so it's safe. They oso forgot to say they got invisible force field around the car that can prevent other cars from hitting them...

(edited)

They will say they drive slowly so it's safe. They oso forgot to say they got invisible force field around the car that can prevent other cars from hitting them...

Hahahaha they dunno road hogging is the worst kinda safety mindset! Cause they road hog many cars do manoeuvre on them increase odds of accident, even no accident they need to E brake due to non turtle car manoeuvre around them, child not seat properly will knock against parts of their car interior

Edited by D3badge

If I'm not wrong it should be "members of the public" kept compraining about what he or she saw in certain part of sgp.TP LL have to respond and do something. LoL...

Videos of traffic police checking child passengers’ heights stir road rules debate GVGT

It’s normal to see police officers scanning Singapore’s roads at night for speeding motorists or drunk drivers. But to halt vehicles for checks on child passengers’ heights? Not so much.

Videos showing traffic police officers stopping drivers in broad daylight to measure the heights of child passengers in their cars surfaced on Facebook yesterday.

The unusual sight of officers holding measuring tapes against kids who appeared to be around six years old as the adults looked on had piqued the curiosity of many, with all three clips that were posted racking up over 200,000 views accumulatively. It’s unclear where the checks were taking place.

Viewers who commented on the post, shared by Facebook user Huang Jiaxing, pointed out that the officers’ actions seemed to be connected to child safety rules on the road.

Those below the height of 1.35m are required in Singapore to use the child seat or approved adjustable seat belts to lower the risk of accidental injury.

Taxis, however, are exempted from this requirement as it is considered not “reasonable or practical” for parents to carry child seats wherever they go.

But a taxi driver could be fined S$120 and given three demerit points if he or she fails to ensure that the children are in the rear seat. If convicted in court, taxi drivers could be fined up to S$1,000 or jailed for up to three months.

These rules have been around at least since 2011 but are rarely seen being enforced by the traffic police. Coconuts Singapore has reached out to the police for more details on why the checks on child passengers are taking place only now.

Meanwhile, netizens praised authorities for their “good move” on the apparent efforts to ensure child safety on the roads.

I like the fact that they think out of the box and throw out all the safety consideration for child safety due to practical reasons.

(edited)

They should also spread awareness and conduct checks on the most basic thing: seatbelts. Many people seated at the rear don't put on seatbelts; they have the perception that the rear is safer than the front. I have also seen taxi drivers putting on seatbelt but adding an additional clip so that the seatbelt is slack. When accident happens good luck to them.

Edited by Ldlian987
  • Praise 1

Some idiotic reply

"I drive very safe and slow one"

"I am very careful"

"Chance to get caught is low lah"

"I also grew up this way"

"Won't happened lah"

Hypersonic
(edited)

Support.

If parent don't know how to keep their children safe in the car, let the enforcement team teach them.

Edited by Tohto
↡ Advertisement