Changes in employment landscape. Open legs

Staff69

Supersonic
(edited)

good for pap, good foreigners.

if you're the chao sinkie whose job is taken over by cheap foreiigners.

hey, you asked for it . [laugh]

Edited by Kb27
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

You guys have no idea how hard it is to hire local ppl. Not that we don't want...

Actually every person in the tech sector knows this. It’s just those people who not in the sector will complain...

It’s actually a chicken and egg thing. Hiring more foreigners actually make it less attractive to locals, making the local tech grads quality drop, making companies hire more foreigners...

To the lay person, companies WANT WANT to hire locals because foreigners don’t stay Long... no attachment to Singapore...

But cannot find good ones...

• Praise 5

I was in startup for 2 years. We tried... Gave up. In the end managed to get a very good and hardworking Vietnamese. This guy in turn helped us get engineers to work for us offshore in Vietnam. 

• Praise 4

Supersonic

Shouldn't the doors be open for work permit ?

We need manpower to do menial task/semi-skill jobs, not talents to compete with our PMETs. We have so many engineering grads from poly and uni. Why cant they be hired or trained?

Is this far to those of us who can't study?

"On July 29, Monday, the countryâs Minister for Trade and Industry, Chan Chun Sing, said that the country needs to do more specifically in the area of attracting talent from all over the world."

http://theindependent.sg/chan-chun-sing-says-singapore-must-do-more-to-attract-international-talent/

PAP wouldn't have come out to say such thing after GE2011 where foreign influx was a hot button issue. Has our dear minister thought this is no longer an issue in today's SG?

Importing foreign ministers.

(edited)

One must compare the average salary in Vietnam vs Singapore.

If anyone can pay almost double of what you are getting..am sure most would jump ship in a heart beat.

Getting programmers from external source without grooming your own internal sources..is never a long term solution

Yes, our local graduates might fall short on expectations but...... guess where they learn their skills from.

When I graduated from tech, the so call foreigners dont share their knowledge with us cos they know, once we gain the knowledge.....their position might be compromised. Some even choose to work during the weekend just so that we dont learn their skills.

End of the day, you want citizens to defend your country, procreate the next generation, be a IC to keep paying your exorbitant taxes and yet you dont give them a sense of job security.

Tough call

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 8

Unlike law/medicine which are protected (never see open leg welcome for this group)

actually our polyclinic and hospital got many TiongKok Pinoy Indian doctors already :gangs:

open leg very tactically  :ninja:

• Praise 7

Supercharged

If you think tech sector tough to hire locals wait till you experience the F&B sector.......

Vomit blood until die or close shop oso nobody cares. Meanwhile MOM continues to reduce the quota so starting next Jan 2020 expect more eateries to close and in 2021 lagi more......

Eventually all eat fast food delivered by Foodpanda and Grab.

Cleaning service section also gone case soon. Next time wash your own car and housing precinct.

Yeh.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

If you think tech sector tough to hire locals wait till you experience the F&B sector.......

Vomit blood until die or close shop oso nobody cares. Meanwhile MOM continues to reduce the quota so starting next Jan 2020 expect more eateries to close and in 2021 lagi more......

Eventually all eat fast food delivered by Foodpanda and Grab.

Cleaning service section also gone case soon. Next time wash your own car and housing precinct.

Yeh.

MOM is barking up the wrong tree I can only say...

they chose to cut the wrong quotas

One must compare the average salary in Vietnam vs Singapore.

If anyone can pay almost double of what you are getting..am sure most would jump ship in a heart beat.

Getting programmers from external source without grooming your own internal sources..is never a long term solution

Yes, our local graduates might fall short on expectations but...... guess where they learn their skills from.

When I graduated from tech, the so call foreigners dont share their knowledge with us cos they know, once we gain the knowledge.....their position might be compromised. Some even choose to work during the weekend just so that we dont learn their skills.

End of the day, you want citizens to defend your country, procreate the next generation, be a IC to keep paying your exorbitant taxes and yet you dont give them a sense of job security.

Tough call

This is a refreshing point of view.

• Praise 3

Maths fail.

If you spent 21800, then gst amount is 1379.

thinks the author added 7% into 1379 so should be 1475 :D ..nothing here escape 7% 

• Praise 1

thinks the author added 7% into 1379 so should be 1475 :D ..nothing here escape 7%

actually we are paying more than seven cos every item or service we had is tax on tax

1 bottle of mineral water

From water purification to bottle to seal to label to carton to delivery to retail already how many seven already

I was in startup for 2 years. We tried... Gave up. In the end managed to get a very good and hardworking Vietnamese. This guy in turn helped us get engineers to work for us offshore in Vietnam. 

I can empathize with you somewhat. I dealt with a number of sme clients. Some bosses also mentioned it's hard to hire local / aged due to attitude / self-entitlement / selective about work duties / chut pattern / not willing to work late. I have personally dealt with senior folks being my subordinates; in all honesty, I prefer not to manage them. Foreigners are likely to work harder / be more committed as they already left their countries so might as well work hard here. I am also thinking if I am falling behind a foreigner due to being comfortable in my own country, even I think I have better experience, language competency and knowledge. However, I think remuneration is also another issue. So to me there are 2 issues at least: self-examination of attitude and remuneration.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4