Changes in employment landscape. Open legs

Staff69

I work in tech industry.

Our local grads.... Sigh...

Seeing that the university here is rated so highly. Why local grads cannot make it?

But.. if it's a local who grad from a similar foreign university, is it still the same?

Maybe its a problem with our local culture, with how we breed our people like the matrix. Want them compliant, obedient, bland, ... then find out they don't have the extra qualities.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Seeing that the university here is rated so highly. Why local grads cannot make it?

But.. if it's a local who grad from a similar foreign university, is it still the same?

Maybe its a problem with our local culture, with how we breed our people like the matrix. Want them compliant, obedient, bland, ... then find out they don't have the extra qualities.

Because they were trained for higher level jobs that we cannot attract? They asking too high pay because HDB cost more now? They are locals whilst competing with talents? These are possible answers you know. I think our scholars will have the right ones

Education here nothing but like factory operation.. all kids expect to conform.. any creativity will be shot by teacher who cannot accept things beyond they can handle.

alot of time young don make their decision.. govt and indirectly school put them to where it help the nation directly bearing the fact it is not what they good at but just the nation need them..

• Praise 2

Education here nothing but like factory operation.. all kids expect to conform.. any creativity will be shot by teacher who cannot accept things beyond they can handle.

alot of time young don make their decision.. govt and indirectly school put them to where it help the nation directly bearing the fact it is not what they good at but just the nation need them..

It's sad but true.

Even until today, primary school kids are taught to memorize.

A friend got a p6 kid. The kid wants to memorize oral questions and answers. OMG......

• Praise 1

It's sad but true.

Even until today, primary school kids are taught to memorize.

A friend got a p6 kid. The kid wants to memorize oral questions and answers. OMG......

That why super good result but a nerd in society when nothing to memorize

1. local grads not hungry

2. local grads want desk job aircon and TCSS but not roll up sleeves

3. 2 years promote manager, 5 years promote director

4. no $10k no talk

but i dont blame them

study nus ntu

drive conti to work

of course must also aspire to buy $1.5M condo right

Edited by Wt_know

perhaps what im looking at is this angle..

a local  and a foreigner, both go through local Uni.

a local  and a foreigner, both go through some UK/AUS/US Uni.

is there a difference due to different Uni? then just change uni...money can solve right?

or uni makes no diff, its their growing up in very different society and culture? then we are  all fxxkeddddd the moment we are born.. :/ can ONLY import FT.

• Praise 1

perhaps what im looking at is this angle..

a local and a foreigner, both go through local Uni.

a local and a foreigner, both go through some UK/AUS/US Uni.

is there a difference due to different Uni? then just change uni...money can solve right?

or uni makes no diff, its their growing up in very different society and culture? then we are all fxxkeddddd the moment we are born.. :/ can ONLY import FT.

Let’s take this a step further

A local woman n a FT both different Uni n same age

One will be more preferential treatment due to the non cog contribution and education as well as expectations.

We had a lot of general education including poly that is causing a huge resistance in the hiring. Let alone the “no one owes you a living” mantra . You need to go to the toilet and look into the mirror to find the solution.

FT seems to have an eco system of help and comerardie that is missing for the local everyone for himself n don’t come n bug me. I here to draw money from the atm month end and trying not to be too smart for my own good mentality

I used to do alot of hiring for a $3k job..

When i ask the candidate why do you think u r suitable for this position.. some joker replied "I have a degree", "I am a graduate from N**"

KNN.. u think i blind cannot read resume??

• Praise 3

Because they were trained for higher level jobs that we cannot attract? They asking too high pay because HDB cost more now? They are locals whilst competing with talents? These are possible answers you know. I think our scholars will have the right ones

Letâs take this a step further

A local woman n a FT both different Uni n same age

One will be more preferential treatment due to the non cog contribution and education as well as expectations.

We had a lot of general education including poly that is causing a huge resistance in the hiring. Let alone the âno one owes you a livingâ mantra . You need to go to the toilet and look into the mirror to find the solution.

FT seems to have an eco system of help and comerardie that is missing for the local everyone for himself n donât come n bug me. I here to draw money from the atm month end and trying not to be too smart for my own good mentality

Frankly.. how many jobs actually needs a degree?? How many are just employers padding requirements.

It's true the poly folks have it bad.

Strange thing is, govt deliberately restricts locals going to university.. yet mass awarding uni scholarships to ft. Plus mad importing ft grads.. some with dubious certs.

It's a self fulfilling problem.

• Praise 1

(edited)

I used to do alot of hiring for a $3k job..

When i ask the candidate why do you think u r suitable for this position.. some joker replied "I have a degree", "I am a graduate from N**"

KNN.. u think i blind cannot read resume??

Good point

Allow me to share my point of view. The candidate should be a fresh grad with limited years of working experiences which is why he is high in IQ but low in EQ.

Cant exactly blame him, he's a product of our glorious education system...you know, come from good school...straight A, who knows , join a grassroot be a leader , polished enough apples and get chosen to be a candidate for the next GE.

But what I personally hope is to give our locals a chance to polish them up to their fullest potential

Cos at the end of the day, they are the one planting their roots here for good and we do need them to keep playing the CPF game , otherwise, by the time we are ready to get our monies, it's already squandered off

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 2

But what I personally hope is to give our locals a chance to polish them up to their fullest potential

I do give them chance.. 

few months to less than a year most called it quit.. 

I got sales target to meet.. service quality scorecard to measure.. how i going to answer all these...

don get me wrong.. alot of them is UNDER employment.. the current economy, in fact for the past years does not help.. we turning out too many degree holder with so many uni like factories but we can't provide GOOD matching job for them..

govt is forcing industry to take them by limiting EP n such BUT fact is tough as turnover is relatively high..

let's be honest.. if one open a massage outlet whose do you wanna employ? Indonesian/Thai who have the skill or local with BIG Degree? that's the current situation..

(edited)

I do give them chance..

few months to less than a year most called it quit..

I got sales target to meet.. service quality scorecard to measure.. how i going to answer all these...

don get me wrong.. alot of them is UNDER employment.. the current economy, in fact for the past years does not help.. we turning out too many degree holder with so many uni like factories but we can't provide GOOD matching job for them..

govt is forcing industry to take them by limiting EP n such BUT fact is tough as turnover is relatively high..

let's be honest.. if one open a massage outlet whose do you wanna employ? Indonesian/Thai who have the skill or local with BIG Degree? that's the current situation..

Can be coach one, needs time, my ex Taiwanese boss gave me a valuable lesson which till today I still keep with me

工欲善其事, 必先利其器。

The limitations of EP is to prevent of the over abuse before 2011, and to force industries to be more efficient in their operations.

Finally, using foreigners in massage industries, there are good and bad, but if you know how best to use an educated local with a Degree, you can task him to find ways to improvise your business and scale it up.

If you keep using the hire and fire methods, you be a rolling stone that collects no moss

And

There's a saying, people dont leave because of the job, they leave because of the manager

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 3

If you keep using the hire and fire methods, you be a rolling stone that collects no moss

And

There's a saying, people dont leave because of the job, they leave because of the manager

errr.. i don use fire method loh.. ALL time they fire me! whahahahahahahaha.. in singapore context cannot anyhow fire or dismiss someone de.. not so easy...

well if you in their position no matter how good their boss is they still leave.. trust me..

I have been grooming/training pple for 20 years.. not say i seen it all but see most. It is not just what a manager can do.. most time our hands are tied.. 

I know many they are just bringing their body to work.. their soul i dunno where.. just to take the salary and keep life going... sad but true..

And

errr.. i don use fire method loh.. ALL time they fire me! whahahahahahahaha.. in singapore context cannot anyhow fire or dismiss someone de.. not so easy...

well if you in their position no matter how good their boss is they still leave.. trust me..

I have been grooming/training pple for 20 years.. not say i seen it all but see most. It is not just what a manager can do.. most time our hands are tied.. 

I know many they are just bringing their body to work.. their soul i dunno where.. just to take the salary and keep life going... sad but true..

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Pple have one extradetion bill, demo non stop.. even civil servants.

We have it bad? Blame ourselves lor

• Praise 2

(edited)

No choice, each got their own sets of problems.

I am not sure if still in the MCF archives....but 6 to 7 years ago, I posted a thread seeking advice cos my Malaysian worker whom I trusted took all my customers database and set up a company with another worker....took a big hit but managed to diversify to something else, that was a lesson learned the hard way

You need this

https://www.impraise.com/blog/how-to-motivate-and-inspire-your-team-to-achieve-better-results

My current method works well for me so keeping my finger cross

Edited by Staff69
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2