New Recycling Bin from Ikea : re-use, recycle and save Earth

therock

High time we recycle

Even Shanghai does better. Japan is the most amazing - they wash the milk cartons then put them out..

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/ikea-nea-recycling-bin-free-voucher-bto-flats-11771706

18,000 households in Singapore to get free IKEA recycling bin

About 18,000 residents in new HDB precincts will get a free recycling bin from IKEA. 

SINGAPORE: Can’t separate your rubbish because you don’t have a recycling bin at home? That excuse will no longer hold for 18,000 households, who will get a free recycling bin in a joint initiative by the National Environment Agency (NEA) and IKEA Singapore.

The initiative aims to help more households recycle regularly by making it easier for them, said NEA and IKEA in a news release on Thursday (Aug 1).

“The recycling bin allows households to accumulate their recyclables at home, and it also serves as a visual reminder to encourage regular and correct recycling habits,” the release said.

READ: 60% of Singaporean households recycle regularly, but many not doing it right: Surveys

Over the next few months, residents of Build-to-Order flats in new Housing and Development Board (HDB) precincts – such as MacPherson, Bidadari, Sembawang and Sengkang – will receive a voucher by mail to redeem the recycling bin.

About 18,000 households will receive the voucher, which can be used from Aug 24 at either of the furniture retailer's two outlets at Tampines and Alexandra.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/ikea-nea-recycling-bin-free-voucher-bto-flats-11771706

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Hey, I also wash(not thorough) the milk carton before I discard it into the recycling bin. I used to see the disposable ppl just chuck everything into the same mix into the dump truck. I still dunno whether there's any sorting and recycling done before the rubbish/waste get incinerated.

Anyone knows?

I'm not optimistic about any real sort of recycling being done on our shores. 

Plastics may get shipped off to 3rd world countries or India to do manual processing in villages by child labour.

The only thing that is properly recycled is circuit boards cos of the metals inside including gold. 

Yes the waste disposable service must keep things like paper separate and dry and free of food waste etc... Or else the paper is not usable.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Sorry if I'm dumb, I don't get it.

So you collect a bin from Ikea for free.

Then you put it in your house and dump everything that is supposedly "recyclable" into it.

Then what happens next ?

NEA will come around and empty the bin ?

• Praise 2

It will never work here, just like bicycle rental.

My place here the recycle bin always strewn with rubbish and the neighbourhood cardboard collector uncle auntie will never fail to mess up the bins. They dig up the whole bin just to look for things to sell and damn jialat man.

• Praise 2

High time we recycle

Even Shanghai does better. Japan is the most amazing - they wash the milk cartons then put them out..

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/ikea-nea-recycling-bin-free-voucher-bto-flats-11771706

Agree , high time to do this. But a lot of social education is still needed to bring us to where we want the society to be. sgp government is not doing enough to educate the people to do the right thing. Recycling is not about putting a blue cart and hope that people will know what to do, I can see almost all the time, the blue carts are dumped with lots of rubbish that is not meant for recycling, I dont know how the recycling companies are dealing with those carts, either they throw all collections or they have to spend significant amount of time and money to sort out those that are worth recycling. So other than giving out containers, I would like to see more effort in educating the public.

I myself, will check the blue rubbish bin once a few days to ensure that my helper is placing the right stuff into to blue bin.

Edited by Ct3833

The last thread on recycling, there are posts that indicate most of the recycled rubbish ended up in 3rd world country. No one really does anything to this rubbish and just dump it other country and make a mess there.

If a company is sincere, I think they ontop of bins, they also have to provide information how and where this recycle item goes to, and not just past it over to a 'recycle company'

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

Hey, I also wash(not thorough) the milk carton before I discard it into the recycling bin. I used to see the disposable ppl just chuck everything into the same mix into the dump truck. I still dunno whether there's any sorting and recycling done before the rubbish/waste get incinerated.

Anyone knows?

Unfortunately, this sums it up nicely

post-1105-0-25619900-1564704949_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

Don't know how these new bins can help. Later all pour back i to same bin again or really got special task force to collect leh.

Supersonic

Sorry if I'm dumb, I don't get it.

So you collect a bin from Ikea for free.

Then you put it in your house and dump everything that is supposedly "recyclable" into it.

Then what happens next ?

NEA will come around and empty the bin ?

No need for wait for free IKEA bin to start recycling bro

I bought my own recycling bin years ago and every 2-3 days, juz ownself bring down to the big blue bin on the way to the carpark. No need to wait for gahmen to do everything small thing for us

Easy peasy

• Praise 2

Anybody for old PC laptop don’t want one?

I tell how to upgrade it, then you can donate to some poor chap kids

I kee chiu...pray share share how

High time we recycle

I also think Singapore has a lot to catch up on recycling. 

Best way to cut down on plastic and paper.  

Edited by Dleodleo
  • Praise 8

No need for wait for free IKEA bin to start recycling bro

I bought my own recycling bin years ago and every 2-3 days, juz ownself bring down to the big blue bin on the way to the carpark. No need to wait for gahmen to do everything small thing for us

Easy peasy

I have big bags for those recyclables...but my children often just dump them into the one that’s not full and nearest to them...totally bo chup plastics go where, papers go where, metals go where..,

I kee chiu...pray share share how

Requirement:

1) The PC or laptop must be working.

2) You need to spend some small money, about $50 on a ssd. Should try to get at least 240gb. For example (I seen it dropped to us$27 before):

Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA 7MM 2.5-Inch SA400S37/240G https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5IB20Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ma5qDbHVGJP1H

3) You need a empty thumb drive or portable harddisk which is empty and is at least 4gb

• Praise 1

Never mind simi recycle bin, can we have more rubbish bin in the neighbourhood  or common area.

I wanna throw a tissue at a mrt station but walked 50m but still no rubbish bin in sight.

To cut down on manpower,  cutting down on rubbish bin apparently is the answer. Tsk tsk....

• Praise 1

This is how the one near my place looks like...many scavengers ensure it’s well used...

Open close open close...day in day out

This bin at my house also become rubbish damp for people to throw any kind of rubbish into the bin. 

↡ Advertisement