EPL- 2019/2020

Spring

27 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Wonder who was the runner up of 2014 season ?  :slow:

Got chance to become Champion ... :a-happy:

Deduct 5 points from Man City for last 5 years.

:grin:

Liverpool suddenly 3 PLs?

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 3

wow, this is news.

only read on Fri that City was going to be banned in UCL. Didn't know can maybe affect the 2014 title too...

what a bad situation to be caught in...

Really pity them

• Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

wow, this is news.

only read on Fri that City was going to be banned in UCL. Didn't know can maybe affect the 2014 title too...

what a bad situation to be caught in...

Really pity them

Yes I also thought only UEFA punishing them which doesn't affect EPL but seems EPL is investigating separately but let's not speculate cos if found guilty, punishment could range from points deduction, fine to relegation at the most extreme.

On a separate note, I just wanted to reiterate that I'm not condoning what City did and if they are guilty of falsifying numbers then they definitely deserve to be punished.

My posts on looking at FFP being protectionism of the elite clubs was to create awareness and looking at it objectively on how else would non elite clubs compete if $ is not pumped in and I'm glad that u as a fan of Liverpool are impartial enough to understand this as per your post in Pool thread[thumbsup]

• Praise 5

3 hours ago, Spring said:

Yes I also thought only UEFA punishing them which doesn't affect EPL but seems EPL is investigating separately but let's not speculate cos if found guilty, punishment could range from points deduction, fine to relegation at the most extreme.

On a separate note, I just wanted to reiterate that I'm not condoning what City did and if they are guilty of falsifying numbers then they definitely deserve to be punished.

My posts on looking at FFP being protectionism of the elite clubs was to create awareness and looking at it objectively on how else would non elite clubs compete if $ is not pumped in and I'm glad that u as a fan of Liverpool are impartial enough to understand this as per your post in Pool thread[thumbsup]

Yup, saw your point, and it was indeed informative.

It sure would be nice if Pool were to benefit from any retrospective point deduction, and then be awarded the 2004 title belatedly.

But fairness should be strived for. We are living in a world full of unfairness - no need to make it worse. Pool was for many years in the league of 'money no enough' too, and it was fortunate that with the hiring of Klopp, and recruitment of some good players, that allows it get the right results and to again compete at the very top again. And if we want EPL to be attractive and competitive, then should bring up the standard of the whole league (which actually overall isn't too bad now). If there's no way for the not-top clubs to close the gap, then it's not going to be too exciting. In the long run, the EPL will lose it's attractiveness.

Rules are rules, and once set and accepted, should be adhered to, so any punishments meted out must be accepted.

But taking a step back and looking at why/how the rules were set, really brings out many questions...

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Blueray said:

Son Heung-min: Tottenham forward out for 'number of weeks' with fractured arm

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51547261

There is a big early k/o match this Saturday, Chelsea v Spurs which could go a long way to determine the all important 4th spot n with Kane n now Son out it would be advantage Chelsea though the Blues also hv injury issues with Kante, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi n Pulisic all missing last night's game so is game on!

• Praise 4

4 minutes ago, Gizmore said:

Think it is not just about FFP. It seems like Man City is cooking their books to be compliant with UEFA. 

Yes City guilty of cooking the books n hence they deserve punishment. The bigger picture is about FFP being a guise for protecting the elite clubs rather than the stated intention of ensuring financial prudence for all clubs. 

• Praise 5

12 hours ago, Spring said:

Yes City guilty of cooking the books n hence they deserve punishment. The bigger picture is about FFP being a guise for protecting the elite clubs rather than the stated intention of ensuring financial prudence for all clubs. 

yeah, i dun know how would any 1 invest in any football club, but he cannot pump in his own money to bring up the club.

totally dun make sense, it will kill off investment for small clubs

• Praise 2

14 hours ago, Hubwee said:

This Son is solid man .... tot he fractured his arm pretty early during the game , he can tahan the pain and finish playing the whole game ... Respect !

He certainly didn't look like he has a fractured arm during the game. Makes Asians proud.

And according to Mourinho, he could be out for the whole season, rather than just a few weeks...

what a loss for Spurs in particular, and EPL/UCL in general, and for Asia as a whole.

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Beregond said:

yeah, i dun know how would any 1 invest in any football club, but he cannot pump in his own money to bring up the club.

If FFP and the other rules to curb investments from rich owners stay, the elite clubs will remain entrenched and no non elite club will ever be able to compete any more, period.

Man City just squeezed in but unless they get a reprieve, there are consequences to their membership into the elites as the non UCL participation can set them back abit.

The lucky club is Chelsea cos Roman came, invested and won trophies before FFP came into full force n now they are reasonably self sustainable. In fact that is what a new owner does ie pump initial investment. It is not sustainable to do it indefinitely and no owner no matter how rich will do that year in year out. The idea was to invest to level up to the elites or at least give them some competitive chance against the elites, win silverware and then able to attract better players, sponsors and new fans.

We now have a big 6 in EPL. If Roman and Shiekh didn't come into the picture, it would have only been a big 4 that's the difference. With all due respect to Leicester, Wolves and Everton, I seriously doubt if they will ever penetrate the big 6 though periodically they may threaten them.

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, Beregond said:

Quite true this.

What this rule does is using the guise of preventing any club from buying instant success, to prevent the "Already There's" from close and more competition.

Only hope is for small clubs - like Leicester - to be able to spot unknown good players/managers on low fees/wages, and have them produce good and unexpected performances, to win something in place of the big boys.

Not only that, this must be repeated consistently, as the new stars will then likely be bought by richer clubs who will dangle higher salaries (that these small clubs can't afford to match - think FFP). So the supply chain of cheap and good players must not stop, and then hopefully the success will be repeated, and the club will slowly gain more following, win more titles, attract more sponsors, be able to sell more expensive tickets, etc. etc.

Wah... easier said than done 😓

• Praise 2

12 minutes ago, Spring said:

If FFP and the other rules to curb investments from rich owners stay, the elite clubs will remain entrenched and no non elite club will ever be able to compete any more, period.

Man City just squeezed in but unless they get a reprieve, there are consequences to their membership into the elites as the non UCL participation can set them back abit.

The lucky club is Chelsea cos Roman came, invested and won trophies before FFP came into full force n now they are reasonably self sustainable. In fact that is what a new owner does ie pump initial investment. It is not sustainable to do it indefinitely and no owner no matter how rich will do that year in year out. The idea was to invest to level up to the elites or at least give them some competitive chance against the elites, win silverware and then able to attract better players, sponsors and new fans.

We now have a big 6 in EPL. If Roman and Shiekh didn't come into the picture, it would have only been a big 4 that's the difference. With all due respect to Leicester, Wolves and Everton, I seriously doubt if they will ever penetrate the big 6 though periodically they may threaten them.

If Roman didn't come in, it would by right be just Pool, Utd and Arsenal. Spurs never had the same pedigree as the rest, even though they had won a few FA Cups. If it wasn't because of Pochettino, who despite not having tons of money to spend, still managed to put Spurs in the UCL bracket for a few years continuously, Spurs will at best be in the same group as Everton...

I think with City's high standards over the last decade or so (esp since Pep came), we all wanted to see City dethroned. But now if they are really going to have the punishments upheld, it's really going to be a big fall for City... which will be a big pity...

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, Atrecord said:

If Roman didn't come in, it would by right be just Pool, Utd and Arsenal. Spurs never had the same pedigree as the rest, even though they had won a few FA Cups. If it wasn't because of Pochettino, who despite not having tons of money to spend, still managed to put Spurs in the UCL bracket for a few years continuously, Spurs will at best be in the same group as Everton...

I think with City's high standards over the last decade or so (esp since Pep came), we all wanted to see City dethroned. But now if they are really going to have the punishments upheld, it's really going to be a big fall for City... which will be a big pity...

Yes actually a big 3. Spurs to their credit, spent wisely and got in a good Mgr and found gems in players like Son, Alli, Moura etc and had good youths breaking thru but whilst I won't call them a true elite cub, they have history on their side.

In the 1960s, Spurs won the double and was successful for quite a few years and produced England players aplenty so with tradition on their side, they could attract sponsors and players unlike an unfashionable club like Man City who are now recognisable and fashionable with investment $ poured in.

RB Leipzig who plays Spurs tonite in UCL are the Man City of Bundesliga. Sponsorship from Red Bull makes them a strong team and they are now able to compete with Bayern for the title and yes they are also a hated club in Germany for more or less the same reasons as City.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5