Soh Rui Yong is not selected for SEA Games

Ender

Too much politics in most of our sports organisation - our politicians who are installed as figureheads needs to take FULL responsibilities.

Here, Soh is medal prospect - we should be asking in spite of his antics - did he bring his politics into his sport? Did he take drugs or take short cuts in his sporting arena?

The off-track politics is so thick - can we blame him?

I followed his news - he is an a****** - and can still be selected with a warning - yet he got dropped and no accountability.

This is the root problem - this kind of decision and organisational people is what is setting BACK ALL our sports by decades.

↡ Advertisement

The moment soh went against them, he should know this.

Now his livelihood is affected. What to do next?

It's like employee have a big argue with big boss. There is dispute on how company direction is going. The big boss thinking, I set the company rules and direction. How dare you small employee dares challenge me? The employee still around, but when there is future promotion, pay rise, bonus and etc. This employee will be the one losing out.

Sort of this line. So once the bridge is burnt, no point staying. So for Soh rui Yong case, the bridge is burnt. So yeah...

• Praise 1

The moment soh went against them, he should know this.

Now his livelihood is affected. What to do next?

Join PSP lor....

Potential candidate...

• Praise 7

Turbocharged

Too much politics in most of our sports organisation - our politicians who are installed as figureheads needs to take FULL responsibilities.

Here, Soh is medal prospect - we should be asking in spite of his antics - did he bring his politics into his sport? Did he take drugs or take short cuts in his sporting arena?

The off-track politics is so thick - can we blame him?

I followed his news - he is an a****** - and can still be selected with a warning - yet he got dropped and no accountability.

This is the root problem - this kind of decision and organisational people is what is setting BACK ALL our sports by decades.

I kind of agree with this...

At the end of the day, it is not easy to be sea games champion. To ban someone from SEA games... I don't think what he did warrants that...

I am not sure what he said was true or untrue, but even if it was untrue and he was unapologetic, I still think he should be allowed to represent singapore. To me it set a bad precedent to all other sportsman that ALL their SACRIFICES can be just invalidated by just speaking out...

Join PSP lor....

Potential candidate...

Just for a mini second, my heart stopped.

But my eyes said "look again. 415 is missing from the PSP". Whew...

Yada-ing

Thanks for doing what teh halia can barely do these days after lunch. To wake me up.

maybe we should have sport agent to represent the local sportsman

41eQG9OlbbL._SY445_.jpg

“Show me the mani!!”

“Help me to help u!!!”

“Kwah?!?!”

“????...Yes! Kwah?!!?”

Lol. why you guys think these type of things only happen in Singapore ar?

It's just that this is not news that travels beyond the country in question. Hence we don't hear about it.

Just like does malaysia care who we send to the sea games? Other than the few athletes/coaches in that particular sport/competition.

Not getting selected despite having the best performance is not uncommon in national sporting federation selections. 

Yes even in USA or what.

Edited by Lala81

Turbocharged

Lol. why you guys think these type of things only happen in Singapore ar?

It's just that this is not news that travels beyond the country in question. Hence we don't hear about it.

Just like does malaysia care who we send to the sea games? Other than the few athletes/coaches in that particular sport/competition.

Not getting selected despite having the best performance is not uncommon in national sporting federation selections. 

Yes even in USA or what.

So what was the reasons in those cases? 

Politics exist in any organisation. Blaming the politicians doesn't really change anything.

The politicians are there mainly because for political reasons ... not really for sporting reasons.

There are many stakeholders and individual athletes/coaches have to either play the game or go compete in individual events.

Look at how Fifa is run. Look at how IOC committees are run.

• Praise 2

So what was the reasons in those cases? 

I can give u all the common reasons.

a) u offended someone in the establishment/labeled trouble-maker

b) there is a favoured person in your same category. Ex-champion even if he/she has declined since her prime or maybe protege of the favored coaches

- This happens predominantly during olympic times cos every country can only send max 2 representatives to a single event. For countries like China in table tennis/badminton, it happens all the time.

• Praise 1

I kind of agree with this...

At the end of the day, it is not easy to be sea games champion. To ban someone from SEA games... I don't think what he did warrants that...

I am not sure what he said was true or untrue, but even if it was untrue and he was unapologetic, I still think he should be allowed to represent singapore. To me it set a bad precedent to all other sportsman that ALL their SACRIFICES can be just invalidated by just speaking out...

Got to understand.. many of those in power are not there because of any sporting achievements..

They are there cos they are scholars, civil servants, have "know who".. of cos they criteria is different.

Got to understand.. many of those in power are not there because of any sporting achievements..

They are there cos they are scholars, civil servants, have "know who".. of cos they criteria is different.

Get real lah. Nobody wants to invite trouble onto their plate.

Whether it's the incumbent bureaucrat or association chiefs. 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I can give u all the common reasons.

a) u offended someone in the establishment/labeled trouble-maker

b) there is a favoured person in your same category. Ex-champion even if he/she has declined since her prime or maybe protege of the favored coaches

- This happens predominantly during olympic times cos every country can only send max 2 representatives to a single event. For countries like China in table tennis/badminton, it happens all the time.

You need to give examples for a) . since you say it is common should not be hard to give one real life example. I am curious what your example did compared to Soh...  

For B) I think it is reasonable as there are always good reasons for sending someone other than the BEST, maybe for grooming new blood, etc. However, I don't think this is valid in this discussion. Soh was not dropped in favour for some else because there were not enough vacancies. He was just dropped. 

Turbocharged

SNOC statement. always good to hear from the other side

http://www.singaporeolympics.com/statement-by-snoc-on-allegations-made-by-soh-rui-yong-concerning-snocs-nomination-of-ashley-liew-for-the-pierre-de-coubertin-world-fair-play-trophy/

• Praise 1

I attended a briefing early part of the year by SA on their overseas competition selection process. 

Basic performance requirement are all spell out in the briefing which takes place every early part of the year. Its almost always 3rd place timing of the previous race for qualification, those within 2% will be consider, those within 5% will be on a case by case basics. 

There are other requirements which are spelled out in the SA website. Some obviously not important, but can still be made use to not send an athlete for an overseas competition.  

Soh may lack in point 5, but SA still recommended him to SNOC.

5. Team Commitments

All athletes must:

• 5.1 Comply with the provision of the SAA Athletes Agreement at all times;

5.2 Conform to SAA requirements regarding team participation. This includes, but may not be limited to, providing the required training plans (see 3.1, c), attendance at prevent camp and wearing team uniform as required;

5.3 Make themselves available for all team activities designated by SAA, as allowed by the geographical training location (see 3.1, g);

5.4 Not act in such a manner to bring the athletes, officials or SAA in public disrepute;

5.5 Athletes are required to appear at events and platforms whereby their images and presence are needed to achieve SAA’s objective

5.6 A maximum of 2 appearances for SAA will be required. Appearances will not exceed more than two [2] hours in duration.

SA can recommend, but SNOC has their own set of selection requirement too. The below taken from SNOC selection criteria. 

3. Other considerations

In addition to the above selection criteria, the following “qualities” of the athletes will be taken into consideration:

• Attitude and behavior;
  • Current skill level and fitness;
  • Level of commitment and attendance;
  • Potential for future development;
  • Ability to demonstrate team spirit and work well with team mate

Soh, clearly lacks in some of the requirements here. 

Performance forms the main part in a selection process, but it is not everything, if an athlete is the best in term of performance, but fail the other requirements, he will also be drop.  Being the best in the team is not a sure guarantee ticket to the SEA games. This not only apply to SG, it applies everywhere. 

Anyone remember how Feng Tian Wei was dropped from the TT team at her peak when she was still the number one female player in SG?  And lets not forget Feng TW had 8 SEA games old medals, 1G-2S-4B in the world championship, 1S-2B in the Olympic.

And so? 

Soh's problem started only after his first SEA games Gold medal in 2015, and gotten worse just before the 2017 SEA games because he was very sure to win a 2nd gold. 

Is there a link somewhere?  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/i-didnt-see-anybody-slow-down-says-filipino-marathoner-ashley-liews-act-sportsmanship-2015

Other witnesses whom TODAY previously spoke to said they did not want to get involved, or had not seen the incident.

Following Soh's comments on Sunday, two witnesses who saw the incident at East Coast Park in 2015 told TODAY that they did not see Liew, or any other runner, slowing down for the others after the U-turn blunder.

Today’s independent investigation on the incident.

I find it totally weird that today can’t find any person to support Liew account.

Of course SNOC can find 4 sworn statements but today cannot find any.

I better not comment anymore later kenna something. To be being banned from sea games for posting something is kind of harsh.

I kind of understand how he felt after all these years where he being the gold medal winner did not get even half the limelight as Liew...

Edited by Wind30

Turbocharged

Sea games gold not worth much. Asian games champ then can act big shot.

I support gahmen in this case. It's not about results at all costs.

• Praise 3

You need to give examples for a) . since you say it is common should not be hard to give one real life example. I am curious what your example did compared to Soh...  

For B) I think it is reasonable as there are always good reasons for sending someone other than the BEST, maybe for grooming new blood, etc. However, I don't think this is valid in this discussion. Soh was not dropped in favour for some else because there were not enough vacancies. He was just dropped. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuliya_Stepanova

The ultimate troublemaker from the Russian perspective.

Yuliya stepanova exposed systematic doping in russian athletics. Herself being one of them earlier. She whistleblowed and her testimony was crucial in the ban of russian T&F athletes under 2016 olympics.

She herself was not allowed to compete under an independent status during the 2016 summer olympics though other Russians could. It was blocked by Russia.

Apparently it happened during 2017 world championships as well (though that's from the Wiki entry).

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement