Soh Rui Yong is not selected for SEA Games

Ender

This happens in western liberal countries too actually. The sports organisations have great power over the individual athletes. And discipline, toeing the line is also important. Look at the Premier League, for example. A player that has no discipline in behaviour outside the game, publicly criticizes the coach, manager or owner, will also be dropped from the team, no matter how skilled.

Yup. NBA is exactly the same, though player power there is more apparent. Sometimes it's the player who's more powerful than the coach. But never is the player more important than the Owner/Front Office  [laugh]

If u create problems for the latter, u will certainly be out very soon. And if u garner a rep, soon all the teams won't even take you. Even if u are NBA level. Especially since NBA has a total cap of 400 players.

↡ Advertisement

That filipno maratonerr, and the coach standing at ECP.

There were 2 coaches. None of them are independent. One was his former coach and the other was the coach at the time of the marathon.

BTW, what about the witnesses found by SNOC that said Liew did slow down? Ignore?

The authorities represent Singapore. 

Why are there sporting events like SEA games? It's to show close political ties within SEA. That was the express purpose of setting up the SEA games btw.

So why would you be chosen to represent Singapore? Yes cos of your individual skil,l but if u dig down deep into the original purpose of the SEA games, it's to promote the Singaporean ideal within Asean.

That's also one of the major reasons why sportsmen are held to a higher ethical standard. It's not because we choose to believe they are all great beings of paragon or virtue. It's because they represent the populace of a certain nation especially at such games.

So yes, questioning your own countryman's virtue (especially after your own country has given an award) is going to look very bad in the eyes of the people who make such decisions.

10k only? More for team events but shared.

Yah totally agree!!!  [thumbsup]

and yah, SEA game not worth any money one, S$10,000 only, less 2000 donation, take back nett only S$8000.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Coming from his background where strict obedience and compliance is a given ... he must be thinking, who this si ginna?? [laugh] I can just imagine!

Yeah. It's a personality issue also.

Seriously, why do people become administrators? It's also a personality fit for the role right? 

Just like someone who's not a go-getter can never be an entrepreneur .

And these associations etc are all run by administrators. Unless it's your own towkay's sports team... 

Yah totally agree!!!  [thumbsup]

and yah, SEA game not worth any money one, S$10,000 only, less 2000 donation, take back nett only S$8000.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

My BIL is a friend of a Singaporean woman in her early 30s who plays professional tennis in the region/asia. 

very bo hua one, especially if u get knocked out in 1st or 2nd round.

• Praise 2

Eh you guy sibei hard to please....

Those can deliver medals but sia lan attitude, you all complain country blindly chase for medal count.

Those cannot deliver medal, also complain was taxpayer money.

How laa....

Edited by Tjkbeluga
  • Praise 2

There were 2 coaches. None of them are independent. One was his former coach and the other was the coach at the time of the marathon.

BTW, what about the witnesses found by SNOC that said Liew did slow down? Ignore?

The Filipino guy who was together with soh at the front catching up would be a reliable bah, since he is also catching up to Liew.

Unfortunately, most of Singapore's citizens can't really be bothered to give a fark or damn. They are too busy working to make ends meet than to bother about sports.

• Praise 1

in the news article of 25 July 2019, Liew has now clarified that he did not state that his act of sportsmanship could have cost him a medal. Maybe the media reports were the ones that were misleading at the start to begin with and caused misunderstandings. Then you have people speaking their mind to say that they don't think he slowed down. How to tell if someone has slowed down.

From the news article, it was said "A legal reply sent to Soh by Liew's lawyers from That.Legal LLC yesterday also noted he had not stated or claimed to have slowed down "to a crawl", according to the same reports." Again, how to tell if someone has slowed down.

Should all go for kopi talk lah..

"Soh, 27, told The Straits Times he was "happy" for the case to go to mediation if Liew admits he did not slow to a crawl and that his actions had no bearing on the final race result.

"I will then conclude that maybe Ashley thought he was slowing down for us, but from my perspective I didn't feel like that was the case as we took a long time to catch him," said Soh."

Can be case closed liao

edit:
probably the way things were written that caused all these things

one side wrote that he "decided to wait for his rivals", "probably cost him a medal". The other side said it's disrespectful to bronze medallist and was talking more about missing the medal which was actually written, not said by Liew himself.
Edited by Hub_n_mona
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

The Filipino guy who was together with soh at the front catching up would be a reliable bah, since he is also catching up to Liew.

About this case also, it should be very clear that there is a kind of "statute of limitation" on the award. After years passed, then suddenly dig up witnesses to dispute the award, what does it achieve? It's not like there's a million dollars attached to it.

If indeed there was a serious issue to dispute and very clear-cut, it would have been obvious and should've been brought up right from the start.

After 1 year has passed, in fact, if I were in charge of the award, I'd say that's enough time - forever keep your peace already.

Unfortunately, most of Singapore's citizens can't really be bothered to give a fark or damn. They are too busy working to make ends meet than to bother about sports.

A popular misconception, not true. Lots and lots of runners these days, and so many groups. People are freer and more protective of their "me" time and work-life balance. Sports/fitness hobbies have become very popular and trendy for the masses nowadays.

• Praise 1

My BIL is a friend of a Singaporean woman in her early 30s who plays professional tennis in the region/asia. 

yah lor, I think as long as they advance to certain stage, got some money liao, at least cover some expenses, If knock out early is total lost of investment for the trip. Imagine every time go  for a competition is like "will I lose money working?"... [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]  

in the news article of 25 July 2019, Liew has now clarified that he did not state that his act of sportsmanship could have cost him a medal. Maybe the media reports were the ones that were misleading at the start to begin with and caused misunderstandings. Then you have people speaking their mind to say that they don't think he slowed down. How to tell if someone has slowed down.

From the news article, it was said "A legal reply sent to Soh by Liew's lawyers from That.Legal LLC yesterday also noted he had not stated or claimed to have slowed down "to a crawl", according to the same reports." Again, how to tell if someone has slowed down.

Should all go for kopi talk lah..

"Soh, 27, told The Straits Times he was "happy" for the case to go to mediation if Liew admits he did not slow to a crawl and that his actions had no bearing on the final race result.

"I will then conclude that maybe Ashley thought he was slowing down for us, but from my perspective I didn't feel like that was the case as we took a long time to catch him," said Soh."

Can be case closed liao

i also wonder how to quantify as 'slow down', the fact that so many catch up with Liew within 2 minutes already mean something right?

i also wonder how to quantify as 'slow down', the fact that so many catch up with Liew within 2 minutes already mean something right?

worse siah, one article said he "wait" for his rivals..what the heck is that

anyway, he ended up in 8th place. he had some headstart. on a side note, can imagine how fit these runners are, at the end of a marathon, they can chiong

You have probably not seen those who need to slog to make ends meet.

About this case also, it should be very clear that there is a kind of "statute of limitation" on the award. After years passed, then suddenly dig up witnesses to dispute the award, what does it achieve? It's not like there's a million dollars attached to it.

If indeed there was a serious issue to dispute and very clear-cut, it would have been obvious and should've been brought up right from the start.

After 1 year has passed, in fact, if I were in charge of the award, I'd say that's enough time - forever keep your peace already.

A popular misconception, not true. Lots and lots of runners these days, and so many groups. People are freer and more protective of their "me" time and work-life balance. Sports/fitness hobbies have become very popular and trendy for the masses nowadays.

Not that he isn't reliable. But he could have just not paid attention to it.

Also need to consider that 4 other people witnessed it. Doubt Liew is gonna bribe 4 people for a prize that isn't even worth any money.

Yes, more people are taking up sports including running. But do they give a damn about professional marathon runners? Doubt it .

Yeah. It's a personality issue also.

Seriously, why do people become administrators? It's also a personality fit for the role right?

Just like someone who's not a go-getter can never be an entrepreneur .

And these associations etc are all run by administrators. Unless it's your own towkay's sports team...

Sarah? Ya pity her at times

Sarah? Ya pity her at times

Yeah should be. I see her posts on fb sometimes when my bil likes them. Edited by Lala81

Turbocharged

Not that he isn't reliable. But he could have just not paid attention to it.

Also need to consider that 4 other people witnessed it. Doubt Liew is gonna bribe 4 people for a prize that isn't even worth any money.

Yes, more people are taking up sports including running. But do they give a damn about professional marathon runners? Doubt it .

I don't play sports but what is sportsmanship??

"fair and generous behaviour or treatment of others, especially in a sporting contest."

"Sportsmanship is defined as ethical, appropriate, polite and fair behavior while participating in a game or athletic event. When a basketball player plays by the rules, is fair to his opponent and is gracious when he loses, this is an example of sportsmanship."

Who is the best judge of sportsmanship??? I really do think that the people Liew is competing in is the BEST judge of that. 

I think the people in the race running to catch up with Liew should be the best judges of it. Whether or not Liew slowed down is REALLY hard to say as he did not stop or slow to a crawl. The question to ask is "Did Liew slowing down help the other runners? Was Liew relinquishing an unfair advantage over the rest?"  

Soh was probably pissed that SNOC did not ask his opinon (the winner) when nominated the 8th place runner for the award. Plus all the recognition AFTER Liew got the award probably simmered...

I am surprised SNOC did not get Soh's opinon before nominating Liew for the award. After all, he was the winner and singaporean some more. 

↡ Advertisement