Soh Rui Yong is not selected for SEA Games

Ender

Turbocharged

I think don't degrade his achievements lah. He has achieved a lot.

You have to understand that SG has no terrain suitable for training for endurance events. Altitude, weather all works against us.

Similarly, even with all the amateur cyclists enthusiastic about road cycling.

Swimming is just water, it's possible to build a world class competition swimming pool anywhere in the world. But for long distance runners, it's much harder to reach world class level here. Just the local climate alone is not suitable here.

It's a bit unfair but it depends how one perceives a sea games gold. Like it or not it's the lowest form of international sports medal recognised by the local bodies. We have a headstart against our neighbours wrt sports science, elite development and less selection bias (not to say none), and the fact that syr got a sea games medal is proof of this. The point is he is a product of the system he is attacking, which gave him regional success.
↡ Advertisement

It's a bit unfair but it depends how one perceives a sea games gold. Like it or not it's the lowest form of international sports medal recognised by the local bodies. We have a headstart against our neighbours wrt sports science, elite development and less selection bias (not to say none), and the fact that syr got a sea games medal is proof of this. The point is he is a product of the system he is attacking, which gave him regional success.

Don't disagree. But given his POV of how the SA/SNOC runs things, he probably feels he's a champion despite the former (rather than looking at it the other way round). After all, it is an individual race as how tonyng puts it, it's not unusual for someone to feel no obligation to any team after the A/B/C divison level competitions.

Turbocharged

I just read a few post. Thus do not know what many are talking about but here is my own view. 

I used to be neighbour with Tan How Liang (he was a weight lifter). Our sports man lived a poor life till his old age. If anyone can find out. I am telling the truth.

As a young man, I was sportsman too. Here is my thots. I was a really poor boy in my days. To what stage? My Mum did not have money for me to buy a pair of running shoes let alone spikes shoes when I represented Singapore Schools.

However, I soon realized why Tan How Liang has to go to attend Olympics opening being sponsored by Mcdonalds (to check history, this is true). When I was selected for higher levels, there is really politics. So much that I was even criticised for being late due to school and due to being unhappy that someone else's team is early.(this is somewhat internal politics that someone inside there is trying to fight another guy, Let alone the high level selection)

So finally I tell myself that I will never appear in the National Stadium anymore and I did, I had never step in for sports even till the stadium was torn down. I do not blame anyone as that was my choice. And I think I did a right choice as I am now able to make my money without doing sports. I doubt I will make money if I had continue doing sports. I however enjoy sports and of cos I am now rather fat guy due to old age but people knows I do sports due to my shape. 

Nevertheless, I think if the original thinking of these people does not change. SG sports will never be good. Especially a sportsman's career lifespan is short. Given our small population, how many can we produce if a portion of them are play out by politics???.......

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

Don't disagree. But given his POV of how the SA/SNOC runs things, he probably feels he's a champion despite the former (rather than looking at it the other way round). After all, it is an individual race as how tonyng puts it, it's not unusual for someone to feel no obligation to any team after the A/B/C divison level competitions.

To me he may have his points but to pick his battle with the sportsmanship award is really a strange hill to die on. If he didn't already look bad, this makes him look like just a vengeful fella. Could've played it smarter.

I don’t much about Athletics organisations in Singapore but I do know a fair bit about football club scene locally as I’m involved abit. What I want to put across is that there are a lot of committed individuals with the passion to run football with no rewards plus the need to juggle work n time which is very tough.

I myself can’t do it till these days I’m much less involved but I salute those who continue rain or shine. So to those knocking n sniggling at our local sports scene n officials, pls spare a thought as our local environment is not conducive to running most sports full time nor being able to attain high benchmarks bearing in mind we have work n studies to contend with. By the way, I’m not talking about SPL clubs as they are professional though even they have their constraints with many officials being volunteers.

Anyway back to Soh whom I’ve said my 2 cents. As for SA, I know they have had different camps who fought each other during elections but this is an entirely different matter n not about SA being run amateurly nor poorly.

• Praise 7

I donât much about Athletics organisations in Singapore but I do know a fair bit about football club scene locally as Iâm involved abit. What I want to put across is that there are a lot of committed individuals with the passion to run football with no rewards plus the need to juggle work n time which is very tough.

I myself canât do it till these days Iâm much less involved but I salute those who continue rain or shine. So to those knocking n sniggling at our local sports scene n officials, pls spare a thought as our local environment is not conducive to running most sports full time nor being able to attain high benchmarks bearing in mind we have work n studies to contend with. By the way, Iâm not talking about SPL clubs as they are professional though even they have their constraints with many officials being volunteers.

Anyway back to Soh whom Iâve said my 2 cents. As for SA, I know they have had different camps who fought each other during elections but this is an entirely different matter n not about SA being run amateurly nor poorly.

It is precisely that we see committed and passionate ground people who have their efforts all mis-directed with minimal achievements to show for that should lead one to be unhappy with the people who should be accountable- the jokers in the boardroom.

Everything else - studies, work, terrain whatever - are just excuses.

There are definitely enough talent in sg around to be good at regional levels.

And it is precisely these useless jokers boxing ourselves in eg looking for full time soccer players - and learnt nothing from the Iceland example - even when they use taxpayer money to go for study trips.

If not useless jokers, how else to characterise?

It is precisely that we see committed and passionate ground people who have their efforts all mis-directed with minimal achievements to show for that should lead one to be unhappy with the people who should be accountable- the jokers in the boardroom.

Everything else - studies, work, terrain whatever - are just excuses.

There are definitely enough talent in sg around to be good at regional levels.

And it is precisely these useless jokers boxing ourselves in eg looking for full time soccer players - and learnt nothing from the Iceland example - even when they use taxpayer money to go for study trips.

If not useless jokers, how else to characterise?

Sorry I don’t quite follow your point. U against the Board guys of certain sports?

Yes there are some who are not very competent but this case is Soh vs SA n in particular over the FairPlay recommendation they had given to Liew n the subsequent fall out over other issues like Soh’s alleged falling short of standards of behaviour etc. Don’t see what this had got to do with “jokers” being incompetent etc.

It’s a straight forward case of talented sportsman not being happy with the SA n thus taking them on. If what u mean is incompetent Board members not being able to handle an individual then I would only say in their defence that in all sports, we have this kind of incidents n it’s not about about being incompetent cos there will always be sportsmen who r outspoken, feel aggrieved etc

If u want to talk about incompetencies in not being able to bring our local sports to regional levels, I think that is a different discussion altogether n shld not be lumped with this issue.

• Praise 4

SNOC replied. 

SNOC claim selection is base on Olympic Charter, which stated that SNOC is not to select base on performance merit alone. 

Soh disagree and stated that the Olympic chapter is not legal in SG. :huh:  [hur]

anyway, as usual, latest news non subscription will have to wait till tomorrow or day after to be able to read. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/no-issues-raised-on-criteria

So i attached an image of the hard copy here.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

post-65783-0-40377200-1566192781_thumb.jpg

• Praise 3

The people at the top of any organisation are more likely to be disagreeable, rather than agreeable. 

A star performer is just a star performer. Yes talent is talent and not easily retained/replicated (based on pareto's principle).

From an objective point of view, SA has no competition within Singapore. If SRY loses the support of SA/SNOC, at most he just continues to run his own marathons.  

His timing is currently not going to get him into elite podium category for any major meets. He's the best in the region, but is a far cry from even close to being Asian games level.

If I am the SNOC/SA committee members and want to be hard headed about it, do I take the bulls**t that he offers or do i just spend the time/effort on the next generation. Cos frankly, at most he's good for another 1-2 more SEA games?

You are totally right!!! [thumbsup]

without the support of SNOC and SA, SRY is just another long distance runner, cannot even come close to a medal in Asian games standard, not even winning the SCSM on home ground. SEA games is all he has. 

His marathon glory is good as finish already.

I attended a SA parents meeting last week. Currently there are 8 outstanding athletes in the youth and Junior  camps. In the youth camp, base on PB, there two number 1 rankings,  three number 2 rankings, one number 3 and one number 5 in SEA Rankings. (4 athletes under age 16)

over at the junior camp ( 4 athletes under age 18), there are two number 1 ranking, one number 2 ranking and one number 4 ranking in SEA rankings. 

Of these 8 young athletes, 2 of them have been selected to represent SG in the coming SEA games 2019, probably the youngest to appear in SEA games. The 18 year old boy is only 0.03m or 3mm away from a SEA games high jump bronze medal, a very Gold medal hopeful in 2021. 

And at this years  SEA Youth Athletics Championship 2019 (under age 18), SG brought back 2 golds, 3 slivers and 7 bronze medals.  

On top of these, SA set up a special team to pay special attention to those who are medal hopeful in the 2024 Olympics, which is 5 years from now. 

So, why would they be concern with a SEA games gold medal, when they are seeing so many bamboo shoots pushing their way out of the ground now. Yes, without SRY SA may even be gold-less for the next 1-2 SEA games, but if losing is to win more in future, I would also spend time, effort and money on these young fellows, and not forgetting the current batch of athletes, some are still improving. 

But administration wise, SA is really quite screw up... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

By going all these trouble is it worth it? I think Soh could be a very stubborn person. This is based on all the events that led to my conclusion.

It's very difficult to correct a very stubborn mindset. A very stubborn person plus with big ego. = go anywhere will make enemies.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

By going all these trouble is it worth it? I think Soh could be a very stubborn person. This is based on all the events that led to my conclusion.

It's very difficult to correct a very stubborn mindset. A very stubborn person plus with big ego. = go anywhere will make enemies.

It's not smart to be talented yet stubborn. Especially if the talent is in sports where the lifespan is very short. Usually by 30 years old, one has to retire. Everywhere we go there will surely be a*holes in senior roles. That's how they get to the top. U don't have to kiss their ass but also no need to fight a one-sided war.

I have met a few talented but stubborn people recounting their exploits and bravado standing up against perceived injustice. More often than not I would hear it while they're doing their jobs of last resort... Security guard, driving a cab etc. No offence to these jobs but had they toed the line, with their talent their accomplishments could've been better and they could probably gotten more out of life.

• Praise 1

So now Soh wants to talk with SA liao... [laugh]

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/soh-willing-to-meet-singapore-athletics-to-resolve-dispute

SA posted big big the athlete "code of conduct" on its website and IG yesterday, and this code of conduct Athletes cannot say no know one, because they need to sign this every year together with their coaches. 

I thought his stand very firm one, rejected offer from SA to talk outright, but now say willing to talk?  Where is his principle of standing firm to his believes from the very beginning? 

Ppl give chance want to talk, he rejected, now want to talk but request the Executive Director cannot be present? Everything also play by his rules?  :huh:

And he now wants to talk to SA, but serve legal letter to SA Executive  Director personally. Funny way of doing things.. [laugh]

Anyway, so looks like now he going to set up 4 court case liao, engaging Malik  with a personal legal letter. 

Mayb if Tan Chuan Jin come out and say something against him, he also will shoot one legal letter to Tan, then swee swee all in the legal loop.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]  

• Praise 2

Haiz.

He is busy courting legal battles with internal ppl when he should channel his battles against competitors out there.

Sportsmanship and humility are brothers. The more humble the posture, the greater capacity to want to learn or practise harder. It applies to all things in life.

The minute u think u are the best, the top or no one can be better, u stopped progressing because u dun think u need to anymore.

I see him in this posture. I may be wrong. His sense of principles and all out pursuits of proving he's right caused him not to see his main blind spot - arrogance. That his talent brings him above the rules or norm.

To let oneself be so tangled up with pride. He could have bring pride to his country instead. Such a pity.

Just my tots

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 2

Although I find SRY quite silly in serving the legal letter to Malik because of a social media comment, I actually also dont appreciate the passive aggressive way Mailk had commented on social media. 

As the Executive Director of SA, I expected him to act more professionally and not take it too personal, even if SRY singles him out. The comment on becoming a 400m hurdler and not a marathon runner is really uncalled for.

He had just fired one round into the marathon committee, and since most ppl would know that he was a national 400m hurdler, his comment now put political pressure on the 2 events. Not a very wise thing to come from the ED of SA. 

In fact, during a short 20-25 min presentation, he inserted similar passive aggressive comments not less than 5 times. It was a good joke to kick start the presentation, but can get very irritating as it gets brought up over and over again in a presentation. I think top managements need to be aware of their behavior and how they carry themselves.

And something interesting caught my attention, both Malik and SRY were from RI, and over here we have 2 younger RI boys "fighting" each other (3, if Tan Chuan Jin is involve later), while over the other side with the older RI boys in politics, they were all losing their ways fighting each other. 

Is there something to do with RI education system on "fighting" your own?  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 1

A real Champion!!!

When you have a team who believe in you, train with you, supports you. And you take them along when you are successful, help your team to success, be a role model to the younger ones.  

Thats how sports sld be, bringing ppl together, work hard together towards a common goal. 

If we can have such attitude here in SG, I am sure we can do well. The problem here is EVERYONE is selfish. Even coaches refuse to let their athletes train together, let alone form a team. 

Cannot imagine any local coach, or for that matter, any coaches, would be like Patrick,  to admit that he has now become a student of his student.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Run professionally and he wonts have to face these issue loh. But then he run using tax payers $$$.. bo pein la.. got to see faces and follow guidelines la. Me thinks he shud compete in Boston,New York, London, Tokyo, Paris marathons la.. provided he good enough..

↡ Advertisement