Soh Rui Yong is not selected for SEA Games

Ender

he should just focus on his running and do his best for the country

why he wants to be bother who said what, do what and took what prize? do these affecting him in anyway?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Is he their best runner? Only sea game gold?

Yes, after Mok Ying Ren was injured and not able to defence his title in 2015, Soh is the best marathon runner now in SG. 

His 2:29:27 clocked at the 2017 Sea games was way outside the 5% selection mark of the 2018 Asian games and commonwealth games. 

His 2:34:56 clocked at the 2015 Sea games was also way outside the 5% of the 2012 3rd place timing. 

So he was not selected to run in the 2016 Olympics, not selected to run in both the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games in 2018, all base on performance. 

So Yes, only SEA games gold.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Yes, after Mok Ying Ren was injured and not able to defence his title in 2015, Soh is the best marathon runner now in SG. 

His 2:29:27 clocked at the 2017 Sea games was way outside the 5% selection mark of the 2018 Asian games and commonwealth games. 

His 2:34:56 clocked at the 2015 Sea games was also way outside the 5% of the 2012 3rd place timing. 

So he was not selected to run in the 2016 Olympics, not selected to run in both the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games in 2018, all base on performance. 

He's the record holder for SG 1/2 marathon time right? What about full distance.

Ok lah. we don't have altitude here, and it's the tropics. I think it limits the amount u can train at peak level for these elite athletes. That's why the SEA level of endurance athletes all roughly around there.

Edited by Lala81

Actually, I already know he is the best marathon runner. 

I mean is he the only SEA gold medal prospect? The others doing sprints, hurdles, etc cannot make it?

He's the record holder for SG 1/2 marathon time right? What about full distance.

Yah, his 2:23:42 ran in Seoul last year, which is also his PB, is now the standing Full Marathon record in SG. [thumbsup]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

I mean is he the only SEA gold medal prospect? The others doing sprints, hurdles, etc cannot make it?

i think pure athletics like track runner or hurdling, based on last sea games, we only hope to get medals.

Indonesian, and Thai T&F teams are strong.

• Praise 1

I would think in term of consistency, Soh has it. Year after year, he has proven he is Singapore fastest guy. Don't know much about other sports, but seems most are one or two hit wonder.

Of course not lah.

SG had 58 golds in the last SEA games in 2017.

But in term of athletics, The Track and Field team is not strong, It only contributed 2 golds, of which 1 came from Soh, the other is from high jump. 

So, in terms of Athletics, yes he can be quite a big f**k in medal contribution, but on the whole his is still a tiny little fly, 1 less of 58 is not going to make much different, although 1 less of 2 is going to be a big impact for SA.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

i think pure athletics like track runner or hurdling, based on last sea games, we only hope to get medals.

Indonesian, and Thai T&F teams are strong.

Yah, the SG Athletics T&F has never been really strong, unlike water sports and table tennis. 

Not really looking good for us coming SEA games still. 

But 2023 onward looks good tho... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

I would think in term of consistency, Soh has it. Year after year, he has proven he is Singapore fastest guy. Don't know much about other sports, but seems most are one or two hit wonder.

Have to agree that Soh is not only consistent, but he is still improving.

With 2:23:42 being his PB in his last run, nobody can tell if he has peaked, or is there a possibility of him coming below 2:20 any time soon. Given that he is only 28, he still have some years of running in him, provided he doesnt injure himself.

Dont forget Mok Ying Ren, he was our fastest marathon runner for 7 years, and almost a 2 time SEA games gold medalist also had he not injured himself. And Mok is only 31. 

And oh, Mok happen to have another SEA games gold medal in 2007, although not in Marathon, that also makes him a 2 gold medal SEA games athlete, on par with Soh. 

anyway, if 2:23:42 is his peak, Soh too will become a 2 hit wonder, no different from any other sports. Of course I am saying "IF" lah.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Yah, the SG Athletics T&F has never been really strong, unlike water sports and table tennis. 

Not really looking good for us coming SEA games still. 

But 2023 onward looks good tho... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Why 2023 looks good? Your son joining is it?  [bounce2]

With 2:23:42 being his PB in his last run, nobody can tell if he has peaked, or is there a possibility of him coming below 2:20 any time soon. Given that he is only 28, he still have some years of running in him, provided he doesnt injure himself.

Dont forget Mok Ying Ren, he was our fastest marathon runner for 7 years, and almost a 2 time SEA games gold medalist also had he not injured himself. And Mok is only 31. 

And oh, Mok happen to have another SEA games gold medal in 2007, although not in Marathon, that also makes him a 2 gold medal SEA games athlete, on par with Soh. 

anyway, if 2:23:42 is his peak, Soh too will become a 2 hit wonder, no different from any other sports. Of course I am saying "IF" lah.  [laugh] 

I think his SEA game medal probably cut short to 2 hits, but is due to politics and not performance,

anyway, if 2:23:42 is his peak, Soh too will become a 2 hit wonder, no different from any other sports. Of course I am saying "IF" lah.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

? what did Mok win in 2007?

? what did Mok win in 2007?

I know he did have a triathlon gold. Could be the 2007 one.

I know he did have a triathlon gold. Could be the 2007 one.

oh ok. yeah. he's originally a triathlete.

I thought he won something in 2017 haha  (got 2017 and 2007 mixed up)

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Why 2023 looks good? Your son joining is it?  [bounce2]

No lah, 2023 my son will only be in the Junior team, provided he continue the same events and get invited to the team. At the very most he can go take part in SEA youth and U20 events only.  And we dont even know if he going to continue after his O levels. 

Proper events like SEA games and above, need to be in the senior squad (above 20), unless their timing can qualify within 2% of selection timing. Tough lah.

Currently, Sports school is doing quite well with some young youth and juniors, and there are afew quite promising young chaps in the SA Youth and Junior team now, with some going to NS soon. There are also a few good ones completing NS this year.  There is one girl from Nanyang Girls who is 16 this year, very famous in SA now, multiple gold medals hopeful in the years ahead. 

And with focus the new SA management is putting forward in different events, it will take a few years to bare fruit, thats why 2023 onward looks good to me.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 1

I think his SEA game medal probably cut short to 2 hits, but is due to politics and not performance,

yah 2 hit wonder in SEA games is cfm for him for now, due to politics is for sure, but no one can be sure it will not be due to performance also, unless he gets to run. 

Yes he ran a PB last year in Seoul,  but the weather and conditions in Philippines is not the same as Seoul, and we cannot assume he will produce the same result or run another PB base on what he ran last year. We also cannot assume that the rest of the competition has not caught up base on results 2 years ago, although I think is quite likely since SG has taken the last 3 golds back to back. 

Has he peaked? nobody knows, not even himself.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement