Soh Rui Yong is not selected for SEA Games

Ender

I dont know if anybody follows, but i think this is all a snowballing effect.

It all started in 2016, the year after he won his first SEA games gold medal. He started by criticizing the SA Olympics selection criteria, and gotten into a debate with Mok. And then he got more vocal, and decided to change the rules himself, disregard replies from corporate sponsors and SA.

If anyone remember, he was almost drop from the team 1 week before the 2017 SEA games, but because he was 50% of gold medal, SA lanlan goestan and let him go. Instead of appreciating the chance, he made things difficult for SA by cutting holes in his singlet as a form of protest to the reply by 2XU, resulting in the then Technical Director to yell at him at the start line. BIG disgrace to both SA and himself, and of course the whole of the SG team.

That incident could have added a lot fuel to his fire burning, and so he pushed on, thinking that nobody can do anything to him, because he is the best, and SA cannot afford to drop him. Then with the same mindset when problem with SNOC and Liew arrived, he decided to take on the bigger animal....

If SA is a little harmless kitty, then SNOC would be a full grown tiger... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Ya I think u more or less listed the full timetable of events.

He has gotten too big for his shoes n as the saying goes no sportsmen is bigger than the sport itself n that’s the cardinal rule so to me, u can be talented but no sport should bend backwards to accommodate prima donnas even at the risk of a gold medal, period.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

To be fair, it's its reputation at sake. So of coz need to fight for the right la. If not his reputation is damaged just like that.

I think you need to go back a few years, check what happen, and who started all these, before we talk about whose reputation at stake. 

If he doesnt take back his words, the International fair play committee in France, SNOC,  and Liew reputation will all be at stake. 

I dont know if anybody follows, but i think this is all a snowballing effect.

It all started in 2016, the year after he won his first SEA games gold medal. He started by criticizing the SA Olympics selection criteria, and gotten into a debate with Mok. And then he got more vocal, and decided to change the rules himself, disregard replies from corporate sponsors and SA.

If anyone remember, he was almost drop from the team 1 week before the 2017 SEA games, but because he was 50% of gold medal, SA lanlan goestan and let him go. Instead of appreciating the chance, he made things difficult for SA by cutting holes in his singlet as a form of protest to the reply by 2XU, resulting in the then Technical Director to yell at him at the start line. BIG disgrace to both SA and himself, and of course the whole of the SG team.

That incident could have added a lot fuel to his fire burning, and so he pushed on, thinking that nobody can do anything to him, because he is the best, and SA cannot afford to drop him. Then with the same mindset when problem with SNOC and Liew arrived, he decided to take on the bigger animal....

If SA is a little harmless kitty, then SNOC would be a full grown tiger... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

But then what he wrote is a different from what you discribe.

https://www.runsohfast.com/blog/my-28th-birthday-message-to-my-supporters-ashley-liew-and-snoc

So it is like I say this happened and they say that happened. So who is right and who is wrong?

Go to court, all will be exposed. Waiting to see all these to come out.

Ya lor. That's what I am waiting for.. The juicy news.. Haha

https://www.runsohfast.com/blog/my-28th-birthday-message-to-my-supporters-ashley-liew-and-snoc

So it is like I say this happened and they say that happened. So who is right and who is wrong?

These are my opinion mah....

Am I right?  I cannot say I am right, for i mentioned I dont know him, I am stating my opinion base on what I have followed, who I know,  ppl I talk to, and with information available freely. 

But one thing for sure, I wont go  to court and make a  statutory declaration of what I think did happen... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

i dont understand what is the fuss about Ashley Liew slowing down and won fair prize causing Soh to claim Ashley purposely making false statement. Soh won the gold medal isnt it what matter and why he keep poking on Ashley?

I think only Ashley himself will know whether he slow down or not as it is very subjective even with eye witnesses. Who can tell he purposely slow down or just tired?

A sportsman (runner) career is short and the ability to perform at top level is only short time windows and even shorter to be able to run at peak form. Take a step back and looks at bigger picture instead and focus on running, break more records instead.

• Praise 3

Seems like he has a siege mentality.

A lot of successful EPL football Mgrs like Alex Ferguson previously n Jose Mourinho recently use this to motivate their team. Basically, itâs us vs the outside world who is jealous of âour success n is hell bent on beating us so letâs go to war with themâ

This is likely the mentality he is having now.

Definitely a person with huge dedication and talent can run FM below 2hrs 30mins.

But if the mentality of being under siege will make a person behave more antagonistic is not going to help for his pursuit.

Being a champion is not just winning against others.

Must also win with others.

If I am a brand owner and see the product I sponsor gets defaced.

Pulling out the sponsorship is without question.

The organisation cannot do anything because sponsorship agreement will clearly spell out T&C.

• Praise 3

After reading briefly on his feeling on cutting the attire and still see nothing wrong with it.

Just proven his sense of self entitlement.

Will Olympic athletes bring laser machine to put the holes in the singlet by themselves?

This must have been deliberated as a team and prepared well in advance.

The holes were made by NIKE.

And if I have personal sponsor and group sponsor overlapping

I will not be cutting holes during such period.

I will repeat! SEA games is small fry la!! Win the Boston the Tokyo la

Yes cooler, no need to cut sponsored brand singlet.
  • Praise 1

After reading briefly on his feeling on cutting the attire and still see nothing wrong with it.

Just proven his sense of self entitlement.

Will Olympic athletes bring laser machine to put the holes in the singlet by themselves?

This must have been deliberated as a team and prepared well in advance.

The holes were made by NIKE.

And if I have personal sponsor and group sponsor overlapping

I will not be cutting holes during such period.

Yes cooler, no need to cut sponsored brand singlet.

Hmm, ya.. When he post the pictures of these athletes wearing shirt with holes. They look so uniform and not eye sore. I was thinking are they cutting these holes by ownself or when the shirt arrived its already pre cut with holes.

It seems like Soh rui Yong see what others are doing and follow. However when he follow, he do not know the full process and then he imagine it and do it ownself. End up cutting holes himself and look very unsightly and obvious vs already pre cut holes when shirt arrived. Ownself cut holes sponsor see it will feel it is of disrespect. When shirt arrived already have holes pre cut, sponser sees it, will feel its alright as long as their sponsor logo is there and not cut by the holes.

Edited by Yewheng

Hmm, ya.. When he post the pictures of these athletes wearing shirt with holes. They look so uniform and not eye sore. I was thinking are they cutting these holes by ownself or when the shirt arrived its already pre cut with holes.

It seems like Soh rui Yong see what others are doing and follow. However when he follow, he do not know the full process and then he imagine it and do it ownself. End up cutting holes himself and look very unsightly and obvious vs already pre cut holes when shirt arrived. Ownself cut holes sponsor see it will feel it is of disrespect. When shirt arrived already have holes pre cut, sponser sees it, will feel its alright as long as their sponsor logo is there and not cut by the holes.

Yes.

I reckon it to cutting a birthday cake

on the spot for the person celebrating birthday before the birthday song.

Then argue "hey I cut for him still wrong."

There are people who help to cut the cake and serve others too.

I will repeat! SEA games is small fry la!! Win the Boston the Tokyo la

How to compete against the best of African like Ethopian and Kenyan?

Build, physiology and genetics are different. Furthermore these people they lived in high altitude.

• Praise 1

Build, physiology and genetics are different. Furthermore these people they lived in high altitude.

And the slower ones all got caught and eaten by lions long ago ! Leaving only the fastest fellows to dominate the sport
  • Praise 2

Soh might sue u

If you want to make any alteration to sponsored attires because they cannot custom made for you, the Brand owner need to agree to the request. Proposal need  to be send back to the design department to clear the proposed alteration. Not as simple as "why cant I just cut a few holes?"..

If they give you green light, and ask you to do it yourself, then you can go ahead cut. In the case, 2XU rejected the request. 

Soh did not cut the 2XU logo, Had he done that, he probably would not even have ran the 2017 SEA games.  SA would have pulled him out totally...

However small a brand may be, corporate image and brand identity cannot be compromise.   -_-

↡ Advertisement