Ender

Soh Rui Yong is not selected for SEA Games

I think the local sport scene is very sad. There's very little coverage on any of the athletes except during big events. Even for JS. Before he got his gold medal nothing is known about him. After his gold medal I dont really know of other local swimmers, like the next best. Nothing, zero. 

Are politicians suitable to run the sports assoc? They have time for it? Or are they there guarding the funds? They are hardly promoting any sports. Funding dont have to come all from ah gong. If athletes are more known there will be sponsors coming forward. Always say no talent. Give little funding to develop talent, what do you think the results will be? JS is so talented also got to rely on his parents to sponsor him. The local sports scene is just sad run by sad ppl who dunno what they are doing.

We dont even know who the best athletes of each SEA games event we are in. This is how pathetic the local sports are. We know of this marathon runner because he has behaviour problem with the sports body and he's suing some other athlete over something we dont even want to know. This is the kinda PR coverage we have for athletes. Sad man.

Is the poor coverage because of poor interest? Or poor coverage leads to poor interest?

If not for this kind of juicy stories, you can put his running exploits on the front page and people will just skip that article.

↡ Advertisement

Everybody loves gold medal, those who say gold medal not important are talking c*ck. But nobody wants to fund people who haven't won any gold medals, so what can they do ? Find their own sources of income, work double jobs or get sponsorship. If they win, wow, national hero. If they never win, wow, your kids better don't learn from these impractical day dreamers.

Is this the right reflection of us ?

• Praise 2

have you guys read what Soh written on his facebook that started all these?

I think that is the basic requirement for any discussion on this

• Praise 5

Posted (edited)

I was a CM for one international sports brand, and we happen to sponsored some runners with attires in kind in SG before.  There are requirements we ask of the athletes, and corporate exposure and brand  image is something we will not compromise. 

Look at how he had wanted to break a long standing rule because of his $1500 personal sponsorship. This rule had apply to and affected many athletes, Soh is not the only one affected, and it is not something new. There is a bigger picture, there is a grp sponsorship for the team to look after. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/snoc-accepts-athlete-soh-rui-yong-s-apology-after-sponsorship-9113986

Look at what he did in protest to the above. Costing SA a long term Corporate sponsorship.  SA was left with no sponsorship for 6 months after 2XU pulled out because of this incident. They had to find extra budget to make suits and gears for those who went out to compete in the first half of 2019, until Under Armour came along in June.  

https://mothership.sg/2017/12/soh-rui-yong-cut-holes-singlet/

and look at his arrogant response to 2XU. Will he ever get a Sponsorship from 2XU?  Never, even if he wins an Olympic gold medal. He had just stupidly burned a bridge. Will he now get to win a gold again in an ASICS singlet? Mayb he will if he go run in SEA games as an individual representing SG, but first he will still have to apply to SA for approval. 

Will ASICS even consider extending his sponsorship after this? lets wait and see.

soh-rui-yong-response-holey-singlet.jpg

SA has long been known to have its internal problems, and their poor management and weak leadership is not something new, but still there are rules for each athletes to follow. 

A SEA games gold medal in Marathon is not the greatest of all achievement SG have had in SEA games,  look at kunalan, james wong, joscelin yeo, ang peng siong, Joseph schoolings,  just to name a few. Is Soh any better than them in achievement? have anyone of these ppl had the same issue as Soh and done what Soh did? 

I happen to get slightly involve with SA recently, and came to know some top athletes in SG. Most of them have personal sponsorship, some more than 1, and they are not even a SEA games medalist. 

So why is Soh, a 2 times SEA games gold medalist not attracting enough sponsorship coming to him? 

Sports is more than coming in first with a gold medal, there are more to it. Discipline, team work, commitment,  sportsmanship, and setting a good example for the young, just to name some, are part of it. 

Never though I would spend so much time on such a topic.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 12

Everybody loves gold medal, those who say gold medal not important are talking c*ck. But nobody wants to fund people who haven't won any gold medals, so what can they do ? Find their own sources of income, work double jobs or get sponsorship. If they win, wow, national hero. If they never win, wow, your kids better don't learn from these impractical day dreamers.

Why talking cock?

You mean everyone needs to be proud because a Singaporean wins a gold medal? Well, not me. I don't give a damn.

↡ Advertisement

I had the privilege of meeting and working with him on some stuff some years back and I can vouch that aside from being a humble, disciplined and focused athlete, he is also someone who will stand up with integrity and on principle.

Perhaps in the local context, being vocal and standing up for others and yourself will always ruffle feathers at the top. Perhaps there could be a better way of handling his dissatisfaction, but I guess sometimes this boils down to a person's character and their personal self-belief. But going by the various incidents he's been involved in, it is always quite clear from whatever unfolded that he was never really the one 'at fault' at the first place and whatever he has commented publicly was not unfounded. (e.g. Volker Hermann in the SEA Games; Also, in the latest case it was Ashley Liew and SNOC that started the ball rolling with the legal suit and there is basis to dispute Ashley's claim).

It is unfortunate that there is perhaps a lot of underlying negative undercurrents within our sporting fraternity and the various associations due to the various politics and perhaps also the stakeholders/management. Another recent example was the Tae Kwon Do Federation which got itself embroiled with a lot of issues and suspension following the public disagreement with Ng Ming Wei.

Actually you know what, what a person think is correct may not be what the other person think. Aka the other person think that is wrong. So when come log head with each other. The result will be like this lor.

I was a CM for one international sports brand, and we happen to sponsored some runners with attires in kind in SG before. There are requirements we ask of the athletes, and corporate exposure and brand image is something we will not compromise.

Look at how he had wanted to break a long standing rule because of his $1500 personal sponsorship. This rule had apply to and affected many athletes, Soh is not the only one affected, and it is not something new. There is a bigger picture, there is a grp sponsorship for the team to look after.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/snoc-accepts-athlete-soh-rui-yong-s-apology-after-sponsorship-9113986

Look at what he did in protest to the above. Costing SA a long term Corporate sponsorship. SA was left with no sponsorship for 6 months after 2XU pulled out because of this incident. They had to find extra budget to make suits and gears for those who went out to compete in the first half of 2019, until Under Armour came along in June.

https://mothership.sg/2017/12/soh-rui-yong-cut-holes-singlet/

and look at his arrogant response to 2XU. Will he ever get a Sponsorship from 2XU? Never, even if he wins an Olympic gold medal. He had just stupidly burned a bridge. Will he now get to win a gold again in an ASICS singlet? Mayb he will if he go run in SEA games as an individual representing SG, but first he will still have to apply to SA for approval.

Will ASICS even consider extending his sponsorship after this? lets wait and see.

soh-rui-yong-response-holey-singlet.jpg

SA has long been known to have its internal problems, and their poor management and weak leadership is not something new, but still there are rules for each athletes to follow.

A SEA games gold medal in Marathon is not the greatest of all achievement SG have had in SEA games, look at kunalan, james wong, joscelin yeo, ang peng siong, Joseph schoolings, just to name a few. Is Soh any better than them in achievement? have anyone of these ppl had the same issue as Soh and done what Soh did?

I happen to get slightly involve with SA recently, and came to know some top athletes in SG. Most of them have personal sponsorship, some more than 1, and they are not even a SEA games medalist.

So why is Soh, a 2 times SEA games gold medalist not attracting enough sponsorship coming to him?

Sports is more than coming in first with a gold medal, there are more to it. Discipline, team work, commitment, sportsmanship, and setting a good example for the young, just to name some, are part of it.

Never though I would spend so much time on such a topic. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

So sum up he have a little bit lack of eq?

Posted (edited)

So sum up he have a little bit lack of eq?

I dont know!

I dont know him in person, and have not spoken to him. Only saw him training once at KPT all alone running in the inner lane, and that only time I saw him, he had some issue with others running on the track. 

However, nobody in the National track and field I came across wants to talk abt him. Mostly just shake their head, kept quiet for a while, and change topic.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

Posted (edited)

I didn't say you need to feel proud. It's the reality that sportsmen (or whatever achievement) needs funding. It's catch 22. You sponsor athletes that don't win, people say they are wasting money. You don't sponsor, people say they are not grooming talents. So how ? Win or don't win ? [laugh] [laugh]

Of course, athletes can also choose to go professional if there is even an option here which is rarely the case. They go overseas, then people say they are not patriotic ? They come back train under poorer condition never win, people say their top form is over ? [laugh]

At the end of the day, it's not about a whole country feel proud or not. What we should feel proud about is that everyone and anyone who aspire to win in any field be it sports or professional or arts, should be given an equal opportunity whether it's ownself achieve or other people help achieve. We're not East Germany right ?

Why talking cock?

You mean everyone needs to be proud because a Singaporean wins a gold medal? Well, not me. I don't give a damn.

Edited by Roadrunner2029
  • Praise 2

well said,

put it much better then me [;)]

I didn't say you need to feel proud. It's the reality that sportsmen (or whatever achievement) needs funding. It's catch 22. You sponsor athletes that don't win, people say they are wasting money. You don't sponsor, people say they are not grooming talents. So how ? Win or don't win ? [laugh] [laugh]

Of course, athletes can also choose to go professional if there is even an option here which is rarely the case. They go overseas, then people say they are not patriotic ? They come back train under poorer condition never win, people say their top form is over ? [laugh]

At the end of the day, it's not about a whole country feel proud or not. What we should feel proud about is that everyone and anyone who aspire to win in any field be it sports or professional or arts, should be given an equal opportunity whether it's ownself achieve or other people help achieve. We're not East Germany right ?

Is it the same people saying all those things? Or different people?

Actually this guy should just go get a citizenship elsewhere and run for them. 

Take the gold and moon the SG officials.

Doesn't matter who say, for the athletes it's certainly not an encouragement. Just look around you, how  many parents will like their kids to go through this kind of mess ? Why not just study hard, get a scholarship and become the person who decides who get the funding. [laugh] [laugh]

Is it the same people saying all those things? Or different people?

marathon is quite boring, unlike other individual sport like many boxing, golf, car racing, etc that people participate every moment of excitement.

marathon is like we can only know 4 hours later who is the winner, not like there will be crashes like car racing  [laugh]  [laugh]

Posted (edited)

You are talking about survivorship bias. But I don't really get your point. Haha are you trying to be sarcastic or are you critiquing the social response to winners?

marathon is quite boring, unlike other individual sport like many boxing, golf, car racing, etc that people participate every moment of excitement.

marathon is like we can only know 4 hours later who is the winner, not like there will be crashes like car racing  [laugh]  [laugh]

True. But u may not know how to play tennis, box, play golf/badminton etc.

But every non-disabled person has ran in their lives before  [laugh]

Edited by Lala81

Haha .. we may just have too many horse behind cannon people.

You are talking about survivorship bias. But I don't really get your point. Haha are you trying to be sarcastic or are you critiquing the social response to winners?

Haha .. we may just have too many horse behind cannon people.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 

The internet is a medium which other people share their opinions. There are supportive ones, constructive criticism ones, unconstructive criticism ones, downright derogatory or malicious ones.

Many years ago, only can garner other opinions through coffee shop talk or people who respond to Straits Times forum, then u get to hear other people's opinions.

It's a tough place to navigate, the internet ... Lots of treasure, but lots of perils also.

From a neutral perspective, it's always interesting to read other people's perspectives if u sort out the wheat from the chaff first.

If u are a musician/sportsman needing to be on social media for your sponsorship or career purposes etc. It can be tough rolling with the punches u get online.

Too much politics in most of our sports organisation - our politicians who are installed as figureheads needs to take FULL responsibilities.

Here, Soh is medal prospect - we should be asking in spite of his antics - did he bring his politics into his sport? Did he take drugs or take short cuts in his sporting arena?

The off-track politics is so thick - can we blame him?

I followed his news - he is an a****** - and can still be selected with a warning - yet he got dropped and no accountability.

This is the root problem - this kind of decision and organisational people is what is setting BACK ALL our sports by decades.

The moment soh went against them, he should know this.

Now his livelihood is affected. What to do next?

It's like employee have a big argue with big boss. There is dispute on how company direction is going. The big boss thinking, I set the company rules and direction. How dare you small employee dares challenge me? The employee still around, but when there is future promotion, pay rise, bonus and etc. This employee will be the one losing out.

Sort of this line. So once the bridge is burnt, no point staying. So for Soh rui Yong case, the bridge is burnt. So yeah...

• Praise 1

The moment soh went against them, he should know this.

Now his livelihood is affected. What to do next?

Join PSP lor....

Potential candidate...

• Praise 6

Too much politics in most of our sports organisation - our politicians who are installed as figureheads needs to take FULL responsibilities.

Here, Soh is medal prospect - we should be asking in spite of his antics - did he bring his politics into his sport? Did he take drugs or take short cuts in his sporting arena?

The off-track politics is so thick - can we blame him?

I followed his news - he is an a****** - and can still be selected with a warning - yet he got dropped and no accountability.

This is the root problem - this kind of decision and organisational people is what is setting BACK ALL our sports by decades.

I kind of agree with this...

At the end of the day, it is not easy to be sea games champion. To ban someone from SEA games... I don't think what he did warrants that...

I am not sure what he said was true or untrue, but even if it was untrue and he was unapologetic, I still think he should be allowed to represent singapore. To me it set a bad precedent to all other sportsman that ALL their SACRIFICES can be just invalidated by just speaking out...

Join PSP lor....

Potential candidate...

Just for a mini second, my heart stopped.

But my eyes said "look again. 415 is missing from the PSP". Whew...

Yada-ing

Thanks for doing what teh halia can barely do these days after lunch. To wake me up.

maybe we should have sport agent to represent the local sportsman

41eQG9OlbbL._SY445_.jpg

“Show me the mani!!”

“Help me to help u!!!”

“Kwah?!?!”

“????...Yes! Kwah?!!?”

Posted (edited)

Lol. why you guys think these type of things only happen in Singapore ar?

It's just that this is not news that travels beyond the country in question. Hence we don't hear about it.

Just like does malaysia care who we send to the sea games? Other than the few athletes/coaches in that particular sport/competition.

Not getting selected despite having the best performance is not uncommon in national sporting federation selections. 

Yes even in USA or what.

Edited by Lala81

Lol. why you guys think these type of things only happen in Singapore ar?

It's just that this is not news that travels beyond the country in question. Hence we don't hear about it.

Just like does malaysia care who we send to the sea games? Other than the few athletes/coaches in that particular sport/competition.

Not getting selected despite having the best performance is not uncommon in national sporting federation selections. 

Yes even in USA or what.

So what was the reasons in those cases? 

Politics exist in any organisation. Blaming the politicians doesn't really change anything.

The politicians are there mainly because for political reasons ... not really for sporting reasons.

There are many stakeholders and individual athletes/coaches have to either play the game or go compete in individual events.

Look at how Fifa is run. Look at how IOC committees are run.

• Praise 2

So what was the reasons in those cases? 

I can give u all the common reasons.

a) u offended someone in the establishment/labeled trouble-maker

b) there is a favoured person in your same category. Ex-champion even if he/she has declined since her prime or maybe protege of the favored coaches

- This happens predominantly during olympic times cos every country can only send max 2 representatives to a single event. For countries like China in table tennis/badminton, it happens all the time.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1