Salmon

Neutrino

I really like salmon but don't eat it that often because the missus isn't keen.

Not wanting to post in the makan thread but thought these two videos were interesting.

The second video even though it is long is worth watching or so I thought.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

I like smoked salmon … but expensive so have not had it since my airline working days.

Smoked salmon. Toast bread. Runny scrambled eggs.

STAPLE!

• Praise 1

Don't like salmon - mostly if not all are farmed, with problems associated with intensive farming.

Will try to stick to wild caught fishes but more expensive!

I really like salmon but don't eat it that often because the missus isn't keen.

Not wanting to post in the makan thread but thought these two videos were interesting.

The second video even though it is long is worth watching or so I thought.

Have you tried wild caught salmon before?

Tbe flesh is much leaner, and first timers used to farmed ones may not like it.

Supersonic

Watched a few of those video.

It seems the oily farmed fish are the worst.

The more oily they are, the bigger they are, the more poisonous they can get.

If you can't afford wild caught salmon, you're better off with the cheap local small fishes.. [:p]

i like salmon sashimi...

but recently i saw an article that raw salmon have germs, worms and bacteria in it under microscope

so i kind of restrain myself from eating more...

also, few years back saw some news that someone ate raw food and arms and legs have to be amputated...

i like salmon sashimi...

but recently i saw an article that raw salmon have germs, worms and bacteria in it under microscope

also, few years back saw some news that someone ate raw food and arms and legs have to be amputated...

Salmon sashimi is checked and meant to be free of parasites. Coral trout has parasites. 

The sashimi in sg can eat, if in china or malaysia i won't eat sashimi.

• Praise 1

i like salmon sashimi...

My understanding is the japs generally don't recommend fresh water fish for sashimi due to parasite concerns. And there really have cases of people dying from parasite infection eating raw salmonidae. but this also applies (much more ) to various shellfish.

Actually i noticed in Japan salmon is often cooked, and it's really cook till hard hard type. Not the pink in middle style.

Fresh waters are more prone to parasites it seem.

That said, the salmon we buy locally is mostly sea farmed. Even wild caught salmon is mostly netted at sea. So not sure if there really is any significant risk introduced via the farming process compared to a wild ocean fish.

Actually YouTube fish parasites etc you get allot on even deep ocean fish. Some really quite disgusting.

My understanding is the japs generally don't recommend fresh water fish for sashimi due to parasite concerns. And there really have cases of people dying from parasite infection eating raw salmonidae. but this also applies (much more ) to various shellfish.

Actually i noticed in Japan salmon is often cooked, and it's really cook till hard hard type. Not the pink in middle style.

Fresh waters are more prone to parasites it seem.

That said, the salmon we buy locally is mostly sea farmed. Even wild caught salmon is mostly netted at sea. So not sure if there really is any significant risk introduced via the farming process compared to a wild ocean fish.

Actually YouTube fish parasites etc you get allot on even deep ocean fish. Some really quite disgusting.

Japanese don't generally eat salmon. They get it from Norway fish farms. Same as us.

Yup they don't eat salmon sashimi.

Most of the salmon sashimi was promoted by Norway since the 1990s to encourage their fishing industry. And it took off like a rocketship since  [:)]

For them it's farmed in their fjords. So it's not too bad, very similar to our kelongs i guess.

Japanese don't generally eat salmon. They get it from Norway fish farms. Same as us.

Most of the salmon sashimi was promoted by Norway since the 1990s to encourage their fishing industry. And it took off like a rocketship since [:)]

For them it's farmed in their fjords. So it's not too bad, very similar to our kelongs i guess.

Alot of controversy about Norway farm Salmon. Especially about the chemical in the fat that cause cancer.

Can watch this documentary about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYf8cLUV5E

Edited by GLZT

Dioxins is in all animal fat.

That's why u are always advised to eat lean/white meat.

But fat is flavour haha  [laugh]

Most of the salmon sashimi was promoted by Norway since the 1990s to encourage their fishing industry. And it took off like a rocketship since [:)]

Honestly.. at risk of sounding like a sua ku..

First visit to Japan.. I was a bit confused why sushi no see lots of salmon like our local stalls

Honestly.. at risk of sounding like a sua ku..

First visit to Japan.. I was a bit confused why sushi no see lots of salmon like our local stalls

Supersonic

Salmon sashimi is checked and meant to be free of parasites. Coral trout has parasites. 

The sashimi in sg can eat, if in china or malaysia i won't eat sashimi.

But how to be sure the salmon for the sashimi served in sg didn't come from msia or china?

But how to be sure the salmon for the sashimi served in sg didn't come from msia or china?

Guess u can't be sure if there is fake identity involved.

But norwegian or other commercially farmed salmon is so common now. Especially in singapore where we probably trans-ship to other SEA countries.

Malaysia actually the sashimi in question is this local fish they use which is similar to some of the other common sashimi type in those mixed sashimi platter (it's not salmon or tuna, can't remember whether it's swordfish or bream equivalent). 

Coral trout in china is catered for domestic use. 

Yes, i won't eat salmon sashimi in HK.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement