Amazing Huawei Mate 30 - Its Coming Soon

steveluv

Huawei CEO say cannot side load liow.... Because the phone does not have the "google core". 

But personally I won't mind paying S$150 to get a lower end Huawei phone just to try the harmony os, if they have it. 

↡ Advertisement

23 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

What's your poison? 

For a camera with so many sensors and taking up such a huge real estate, the photo/video quality shown in the video above is definitely disappointing. If the above video can be trusted, tt is definitely only on par with iphone with Note 10, not leaps and bounds better. The person doing the above review also obviously is trying to sabotage Samsung by framing its pictures to give misleading comparison results.

For all the insecurity and inconveniences associated with this device, where now the trump card also fail to shine, there is little interests for me to get it now. Most likely I will get a Note 10 instead.

22 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Huawei CEO say cannot side load liow.... Because the phone does not have the "google core". 

But personally I won't mind paying S$150 to get a lower end Huawei phone just to try the harmony os, if they have it. 

Actually this would be a great business model. Try before you buy. 

Sell a lower end Huawei model loaded with the fully integrated Harmony OS and HMS all in English and region-specific at $200. Train the counter staff to provide a small tutorial to buyers on how to replace some of their Google services with the Huawei apps. 

Make this offer:

-you're happy with the phone, keep it and walk away. 

-within 30 days, you are not happy with the phone, return it and you have guaranteed buy back at 170 bucks. (basically leasing at 1 buck a day)

-within 30 days, you are happy with the OS but want the Mate 30 or Mate 30 Pro, we will credit 170 dollars off your purchase price. In addition you keep the low end phone too. 

If they truly had confidence behind their suite, this is the sort of marketing they should engage in. Not ridiculous fake offers for elderly citizens. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

That's called sideloading. You download the apk from a website, allow installation from "unknown sources" and get the app. You have no playstore support, but the app will work. 

See my post. It's highly unlikely this workaround will work for the most important apps. There will also be no integration, so apps that need Maps like Grab etc. won't be able to access them I think. 

For me, as much as I love Huawei's tech, the Trump ban makes it pointless. 

Yes it can be a pain without some of the core functions like map ... didnt know Grab will ride on Google map 😂

Talking abt maps ... i always got problem with Google map. Say , after selecting the destination and hit the Direction button , the map doesnt orientated itself to the ground with where my phone is pointing and that triangle (rep your position) always pointed at wrong direction.  

So luckily i went NS b4 . 😂 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Wow, if this works seamlessly, it's a game changer. 

Maybe no official support ... but im sure community out there will have some good souls 😜

• Praise 4

That's called sideloading. You download the apk from a website, allow installation from "unknown sources" and get the app. You have no playstore support, but the app will work. 

See my post. It's highly unlikely this workaround will work for the most important apps. There will also be no integration, so apps that need Maps like Grab etc. won't be able to access them I think. 

For me, as much as I love Huawei's tech, the Trump ban makes it pointless. 

wont this sideloading thingy  open all kinds of hacking and security risk on your phone?

i mean, if using phone to do banking, tradeing etc etc...

• Praise 1

41 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

Yes it can be a pain without some of the core functions like map ... didnt know Grab will ride on Google map 😂

Talking abt maps ... i always got problem with Google map. Say , after selecting the destination and hit the Direction button , the map doesnt orientated itself to the ground with where my phone is pointing and that triangle (rep your position) always pointed at wrong direction.  

So luckily i went NS b4 . 😂 

Go to your map settings and un-tick  " always north up". 

If you have "always north up", then the map is always north in front of you,  so if you are moving east the triangle will always be pointing to the right. 

But you are not alone with maps problems,  lately I also encounter a lot of problem with maps. :a-confused:

• Praise 1

38 minutes ago, Playtime said:

wont this sideloading thingy  open all kinds of hacking and security risk on your phone?

i mean, if using phone to do banking, tradeing etc etc...

Yes potentially. You are basically trusting that the apk is the legit one and not some chiong one with malware. 

Sure, websites might give you md5 checksums but what's the point if it's an unofficial repository to begin with? The advantage of play store is it is a sole official repository, controlled and monitored (and still you can get malware like what happened recently). 

• Praise 1

Actually this would be a great business model. Try before you buy. 

Sell a lower end Huawei model loaded with the fully integrated Harmony OS and HMS all in English and region-specific at $200. Train the counter staff to provide a small tutorial to buyers on how to replace some of their Google services with the Huawei apps. 

Make this offer:

-you're happy with the phone, keep it and walk away. 

-within 30 days, you are not happy with the phone, return it and you have guaranteed buy back at 170 bucks. (basically leasing at 1 buck a day)

-within 30 days, you are happy with the OS but want the Mate 30 or Mate 30 Pro, we will credit 170 dollars off your purchase price. In addition you keep the low end phone too. 

If they truly had confidence behind their suite, this is the sort of marketing they should engage in. Not ridiculous fake offers for elderly citizens. 

As a marketer and sales professional,  I agree with your proposal 100%.:a-m1212:[laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Quite technical explanation of why the Google apps will not work in this phone due to lack of Google Mobile Services framework in its OS. Not so straight forward case of simply doing sideloading. Even if can do sideloading, the apps will have errors due to lack of GMS framework.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/09/20/shock-new-google-warning-for-anyone-buying-huawei-mate-30/#4a6b49bb4942

• Praise 2

in that case, Huawei might just sell with an option of “empty shell” and provide customer service to full install Android OS vanilla with all Google apps and services ... lol

• Praise 1

Another negative is probably with an "unprotected" store, malware can easily get into the phone, through various channels, without the owner knowing.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3