Former journalist and bank employee training to be doctors

SGMCF328

Urban legend or dream come true?

Former journalist and bank employee training to be doctors

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/former-journalist-and-bank-employee-training-be-doctors

NP_20190805_TRGRAD05PA0D_5025350.jpg?ito

Ex-VP of bank and former journalist among this year's intake of future clinicians at Duke-NUS Medical School.

One worked in a bank. Another was a former journalist.

And now, they are studying to be doctors.

They are two of the 81 students in this year's intake of future clinicians at Duke-NUS Medical School, Singapore's only graduate medical school.

Mr Lim Chun Chai, 39, a father of two, was a vice-president at OCBC Bank for nine years. He was responsible for processing and documenting corporate loans.

Ms Hoe Pei Shan, 31, is a former journalist at The New Paper, The Straits Times and The Business Times.

If they complete their four-year graduate programme, they will be awarded a medical degree in 2023. Before enrolling at Duke-NUS, both Mr Lim and Ms Hoe took the Medical College Admission Test administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Turbocharged

How does it differ from the usual med school route through NUS? Less competition as fees are higher? Is it like some kind of private school?

I can't imagine how tough it would be for people without at least a Bio and Chem background from 'A' levels on up.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1

How does it differ from the usual med school route through NUS? Less competition as fees are higher? Is it like some kind of private school?

I can't imagine how tough it would be for people without at least a Bio and Chem background from 'A' levels on up.

this is for 2nd career people.

I used to teach at Duke's. In general, the students are more mature (emotionally and intellectually) and more self-motivated than the younger ones at YLLSoM (where I also teach). Age and work/life experience show, and the graduate students at Duke's have all pretty much thought through their life choices and decided Medicine is definitely something they want to do with the rest of their lives. Quite commendable, actually.

• Praise 9

Good luck to them. But the first 8-10 years are quite punishing. I think it's quite detrimental to your health so it's always better to be young and able to take the slog.

I used to teach at Duke's. In general, the students are more mature (emotionally and intellectually) and more self-motivated than the younger ones at YLLSoM (where I also teach). Age and work/life experience show, and the graduate students at Duke's have all pretty much thought through their life choices and decided Medicine is definitely something they want to do with the rest of their lives. Quite commendable, actually.

My cursory small talk anecdotal experiences by my classmates still in hospital convey the opposite lol. But small sample size of surveyed participants. Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

it says clinician, probably different from doctors.

Actually what does it take to be a doctor, academically smart, or a good heart ?

I have good heart, but I sux in science subjects [laugh]

Actually what does it take to be a doctor, academically smart, or a good heart ?

Brainwashing by parent(s) in some cases.

I have good heart, but I sux in science subjects [laugh]

You're our, next please. Lol.

Brainwashing by parent(s) in some cases.

Mostly are parents who are also doctors. Or is it the other way, doctor parents don't enourage their children to become one ? I was told recently by a recruiter in a local airline, that many mid career professionals want to switch to become air crew. There was a doctor who applied and became one, for personal aspiration.

yup.  Not an easy road tho.  The TBL system does help in terms of starting on the right path on how they actually work in real life, ie, morning clinic sessions and then gathering the data and evidence to back the hypothesis

Mostly are parents who are also doctors. Or is it the other way, doctor parents don't enourage their children to become one ? I was told recently by a recruiter in a local airline, that many mid career professionals want to switch to become air crew. There was a doctor who applied and became one, for personal aspiration.

The older gen doctor parents would often encourage their kids to become doctors too. I'm a case in point.

The younger gen ones often do not, having seen how things have changed. I try to discourage others from doing medicine unless they have a full picture and remain committed nevertheless.

yup. Not an easy road tho. The TBL system does help in terms of starting on the right path on how they actually work in real life, ie, morning clinic sessions and then gathering the data and evidence to back the hypothesis

I did a TBL with Janil.

The older gen doctor parents would often encourage their kids to become doctors too. I'm a case in point.

The younger gen ones often do not, having seen how things have changed. I try to discourage others from doing medicine unless they have a full picture and remain committed nevertheless.

yea, unless you really have the calling, it can be a strain and reality bites.

Thus, I try and paint the realistic picture and the current climate here is not rosy too. 

I know of a few who passed the exit exams but there are no positions to house them.  In end, they remain as senior residents UNTIL someone dies or leaves

I did a TBL with Janil. ð

Nursing is another one that is not popular among locals. But the pay is not bad and job stable.

I did a TBL with Janil.

• Praise 1

There are many two generation families. Quite a number of their children are trying to be 3rd generation.

I think mainly it does suit the personality and intellectual types of certain families. Those that are more inclined towards the sciences or logical thinking.

And I guess if your dad or your mum is not in a sunset industry, there's always the inclination to follow.

yup. Not an easy road tho. The TBL system does help in terms of starting on the right path on how they actually work in real life, ie, morning clinic sessions and then gathering the data and evidence to back the hypothesis

What's tbl.

There are many two generation families. Quite a number of their children are trying to be 3rd generation.

I think mainly it does suit the personality and intellectual types of certain families. Those that are more inclined towards the sciences or logical thinking.

And I guess if your dad or your mum is not in a sunset industry, there's always the inclination to follow.

What's tbl.

Team Based Learning

similar to PBL, problem based, but a different cut where the lectures are given before they go solve something given to them.  

Team Based Learning

similar to PBL, problem based, but a different cut where the lectures are given before they go solve something given to them.

Ah. PBL.

Complete waste of time when I did it then.

↡ Advertisement