Former journalist and bank employee training to be doctors

SGMCF328

Ah. PBL.

Complete waste of time when I did it then.

2 school of thought.  It was undeveloped that time and McMAster was the 1st to revolutionise it

That said, it is the abilities of the facilitator to really draw out the learning from the students.  Need to have strong domain. @turboflat4 what's your experience with the TBL system

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

You're our, next please. Lol.

Mostly are parents who are also doctors. Or is it the other way, doctor parents don't enourage their children to become one ? I was told recently by a recruiter in a local airline, that many mid career professionals want to switch to become air crew. There was a doctor who applied and became one, for personal aspiration.

That one got age limit, I think 32 (?) if want to apply for SQ, unless you are from RSAF.

It's tough for mid-careers, you got to be single and having no big financial commitments, or have a rich family / wife that is supportive.

Have to endure the lowly cadet pilot pay for 2+ years, not to mention it's not a shoo-in. Some people just don't have the hand-eye coordinations and reaction time, which if you think about it, gets worse as you age.

I had also considered that many years ago, and found out about the selection process etc. but after making calculations, not possible at that stage reached in life, and also wife manifest her concern I be snapped up by some xmm cabin crew [laugh]

Ah. PBL.

Complete waste of time when I did it then.

I remember this methodology, was a trend at one time also in higher education. Doesn't work - even with motivated students (which you need in the first place), they lack the mindset of an actual situation to drive the learning. You just can't recreate that.

You will only get your "PBL" experience in your job when working.

Supersonic

I used to teach at Duke's. In general, the students are more mature (emotionally and intellectually) and more self-motivated than the younger ones at YLLSoM (where I also teach). Age and work/life experience show, and the graduate students at Duke's have all pretty much thought through their life choices and decided Medicine is definitely something they want to do with the rest of their lives. Quite commendable, actually.

U flash pics of your maclaren during your first lesson that if they pay attention instead of fiddling w FB during lessons, they can also get there?...lol

U flash pics of your maclaren during your first lesson that if they pay attention instead of fiddling w FB during lessons, they can also get there?...lol

Students today are quite different. Even if they play hard, they also work hard. At least for this type of professions like law and med school. The race started when u got in.

Haha compared to my times, my friends always say we look like buffoons compared to how they are now.

That one got age limit, I think 32 (?) if want to apply for SQ, unless you are from RSAF.

It's tough for mid-careers, you got to be single and having no big financial commitments, or have a rich family / wife that is supportive.

Have to endure the lowly cadet pilot pay for 2+ years, not to mention it's not a shoo-in. Some people just don't have the hand-eye coordinations and reaction time, which if you think about it, gets worse as you age.

I had also considered that many years ago, and found out about the selection process etc. but after making calculations, not possible at that stage reached in life, and also wife manifest her concern I be snapped up by some xmm cabin crew [laugh]

I remember this methodology, was a trend at one time also in higher education. Doesn't work - even with motivated students (which you need in the first place), they lack the mindset of an actual situation to drive the learning. You just can't recreate that.

My friend became a pilot after he finished his law deg and bar requirements.

2 school of thought.  It was undeveloped that time and McMAster was the 1st to revolutionise it

That said, it is the abilities of the facilitator to really draw out the learning from the students.  Need to have strong domain. @turboflat4 what's your experience with the TBL system

TBL at Duke's (as a tutor): The students were in groups, and they actually had dynamic and meaningful discussions and what I'd call "active learning".

In contrast, from the perspective of a student, PBL at NUS (at the time I was a med student there it hadn't acquired the moniker YLLSoM) was a farce. I think it had just been started, and it was only being done for Biochem. There was no insistence on cohesive group effort, no structure, etc. To make matters worse, they had tutors misinforming students. I vividly remember one girl (no more than a TA who was a PhD candidate, I'm sure) called Van den Bergh (not Van der Poel, who was competent) who insisted that HIV killed CD8+ cytotoxic T cells - she was damn cocksure that it "killed the killers". We were telling her she was wrong, HIV preferentially attacked the CD4+ helper T cells, but she refused to concede. We had crap tutors like that in Biochem. Prof Kon Oi Lian was OK I guess, but she was very detached and had no real engagement with the students.

Much more recently, I've been teaching PBL at YLLSoM relating to my field (you know what that is, I hope you respect my wishes that I don't wish to divulge it here) and the system seems marginally better now. Actual grouping, with IRAT and GRAT, etc. I enjoy teaching these sessions, but the students at YLLSoM are still less self-directed than those at Duke's in my opinion.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

TBL at Duke's (as a tutor): The students were in groups, and they actually had dynamic and meaningful discussions and what I'd call "active learning".

In contrast, from the perspective of a student, PBL at NUS (at the time I was a med student there it hadn't acquired the moniker YLLSoM) was a farce. I think it had just been started, and it was only being done for Biochem. There was no insistence on cohesive group effort, no structure, etc. To make matters worse, they had tutors misinforming students. I vividly remember one girl (no more than a TA who was a PhD candidate, I'm sure) called Van den Bergh (not Van der Poel, who was competent) who insisted that HIV killed CD8+ cytotoxic T cells - she was damn cocksure that it "killed the killers". We were telling her she was wrong, HIV preferentially attacked the CD4+ helper T cells, but she refused to concede. We had crap tutors like that in Biochem. Prof Kon Oi Lian was OK I guess, but she was very detached and had no real engagement with the students.

Much more recently, I've been teaching PBL at YLLSoM relating to my field (you know what that is, I hope you respect my wishes that I don't wish to divulge it here) and the system seems marginally better now. Actual grouping, with IRAT and GRAT, etc. I enjoy teaching these sessions, but the students at YLLSoM are still less self-directed than those at Duke's in my opinion.

cb...like i will say liddat...you peddle thosai wat..........oops

haha....

yes, it's better structured now and cannot agree more that Duke's intake is more motivated than YLL, but the ages are different too

That said, the fellas at LKC are not much diff.  However, there is a mixed bag there too. TBL as well.

haha....

yes, it's better structured now and cannot agree more that Duke's intake is more motivated than YLL, but the ages are different too

That said, the fellas at LKC are not much diff. However, there is a mixed bag there too. TBL as well.

Yeah I haven't taught at LKC, even though I have friends in the fac there.

I suspect the lady doctor is a dermatologist. Laser moles ah, botox ah, treat acne issue ah....also called dotor. LoL...

At the same time promote and sell beauty skin products. Ka Ching$$$! Journalist tan boh jiak.

Edited by Watwheels

haha....

That said, the fellas at LKC are not much diff.  However, there is a mixed bag there too. TBL as well.

I used to work in an international school for a short period but that changed my positive perspective of a school.

At the end of the day, it's still bottom line that counts for the CV of the people high up there  [lipsrsealed]

I used to work in an international school for a short period but that changed my positive perspective of a school.

At the end of the day, it's still bottom line that counts for the CV of the people high up there  [lipsrsealed]

more like WHO you know, as opposed to how much you know

Yeah I haven't taught at LKC, even though I have friends in the fac there.

the facilities and tech is great....

I meant air steward. According to a friend who interviews them, there is no age limit, as the law prohibits age limitation. He also told me that there is a shortage of crew now.

Supersonic

haha....

That said, the fellas at LKC are not much diff. However, there is a mixed bag there too. TBL as well.

Knn...how cum u know so much? U lokler meh?

Knn...how cum u know so much? U lokler meh?

i'm the body they work on lah....remember?> :a-rip:

Supersonic

i'm the body they work on lah....remember?> :a-rip:

Is that after your bangla cleaning duties at the lecture theatre?....lol
  • Praise 1

Is that after your bangla cleaning duties at the lecture theatre?....lol

errr..i operate the black market...shhhhhhh :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Supersonic

errr..i operate the black market...shhhhhhh :grin::grin::grin:

Better dun joke so much abt black colour n all. Skali amateur racist smalltime rap video appear den u noe...
↡ Advertisement